Author Topic: General Mills Neapolitan Hearth Style Pizza Flour?  (Read 12779 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
General Mills Neapolitan Hearth Style Pizza Flour?
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:46:35 AM »
I was sent a sample of the new GM Neapolitan Hearth Style Pizza Flour.  I was surprised that the sample was a 50 lb. bag.  Did any member try this flour out?  I think I might have to get my starter up to speed and try this flour in my bbq set-up, or maybe do some other experiments with this flour.  I am going to give some of this flour to Steve to try.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
Re: General Mills Neapolitan Hearth Style Pizza Flour?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
Nice score :)
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »
I was sent a sample of the new GM Neapolitan Hearth Style Pizza Flour.  I was surprised that the sample was a 50 lb. bag.  Did any member try this flour out?  I think I might have to get my starter up to speed and try this flour in my bbq set-up, or maybe do some other experiments with this flour.  I am going to give some of this flour to Steve to try.

Norma

Norma,

That's pretty cool! Are they testing this flour out or is it readily available now? Is it a "00" milled product?

If anyone deserves a 50# "sample" its definitely you! Hopefully its a product that you will be able to use with your styles. Let us know what you think of it.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »
Nice score :)

AZKevin,

That is also what I thought.  I never expected to get a 50 lb. sample bag. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »
Norma,

That's pretty cool! Are they testing this flour out or is it readily available now? Is it a "00" milled product?

If anyone deserves a 50# "sample" its definitely you! Hopefully its a product that you will be able to use with your styles. Let us know what you think of it.

John K

John,

These are the specs for the GM Pizza Flour.  http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/product/gm-neapolitan-hearth-style-pizza-flour-50-lb/50237000?mct=Flour&ct=pizza&typ=Category  Since I really don't understand specs I don't know how close or far away it is from the Caputo Pizzeria flour, or other OO flours.

On May 2, 2013 of this year there was an article on PMQ Pizza Magazine about General Mill introducing the Gold Medal Neapolitan flour.  http://www.pmq.com/May-2013/General-Mills-introduces-Gold-Medal-Neapolitan-flour/   Joe told me soon the new flour will be sent to distributors, but I don't know what distributors will get this flour.

I got the sample bag of the GM flour from when I posted at Reply 17 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg256601.html#msg256601  I was going to get a sample of the Pillsbury 4X flour, but am glad I have a chance to try this flour out. 

Thanks for saying I deserve to try this new flour out.  I really didn't even know anything about the new flour when I called Joe.   I will report on how it works out in any pizza dough I try.

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »
Norma, why don't you repackage it into 3 lb. bags and offer them for sale, you'd make a fortune around here.! :-D :-D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
Norma, why don't you repackage it into 3 lb. bags and offer them for sale, you'd make a fortune around here.! :-D :-D

Dave,

I really don't think many members would be interested in trying this new flour since most members like the Caputo Pizzeria flour.   :-D

Norma

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 02:03:24 PM »
John,

These are the specs for the GM Pizza Flour.  http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/product/gm-neapolitan-hearth-style-pizza-flour-50-lb/50237000?mct=Flour&ct=pizza&typ=Category  Since I really don't understand specs I don't know how close or far away it is from the Caputo Pizzeria flour, or other OO flours.

On May 2, 2013 of this year there was an article on PMQ Pizza Magazine about General Mill introducing the Gold Medal Neapolitan flour.  http://www.pmq.com/May-2013/General-Mills-introduces-Gold-Medal-Neapolitan-flour/   Joe told me soon the new flour will be sent to distributors, but I don't know what distributors will get this flour.

I got the sample bag of the GM flour from when I posted at Reply 17 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg256601.html#msg256601  I was going to get a sample of the Pillsbury 4X flour, but am glad I have a chance to try this flour out. 

Thanks for saying I deserve to try this new flour out.  I really didn't even know anything about the new flour when I called Joe.   I will report on how it works out in any pizza dough I try.

Norma

Norma,

I would be very surprised if they sent out 50# bags to "just anyone"! Please tell/show us your results with this product when you get around to using it. I would definitely consider using an American product if it performed well for NP.

The cost would no doubt be lower than Caputo as well. From what I remember, they actually get the wheat for Caputo (in part) from the US or Canada, then they mill it in Italy, and send it all the way back here! Talk about shipping costs!

Well, Good Luck!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »
Ingredients of this product; WHEAT FLOUR.

No malted barley...nothing...Cool

Also a Falling Number of 325 sec
Caputo is 340-360 sec

I wish American flours had a W rating number.

http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/product/gm-neapolitan-hearth-style-pizza-flour-50-lb/50237000

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:23:25 PM by Mmmph »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 03:28:17 PM »
Norma,

I would be very surprised if they sent out 50# bags to "just anyone"! Please tell/show us your results with this product when you get around to using it. I would definitely consider using an American product if it performed well for NP.

The cost would no doubt be lower than Caputo as well. From what I remember, they actually get the wheat for Caputo (in part) from the US or Canada, then they mill it in Italy, and send it all the way back here! Talk about shipping costs!

Well, Good Luck!

John K

John,

I don't know who GM is sending sample bags out to.  I had not called Joe to asked about the GM Neapolitan Hearth Style Pizza Flour.  It was just in conversation about pizzas that lead to me talking to Joe about that flour, when I mentioned my friend has two WFO's.  I did mention to Joe that I had a pizza blog and told him about it and gave the web address.  I said Steve's WFO's are on my pizza blog.  Joe did send me an email after we talked the first time and said I wasn't kidding when I told him I liked to experiment with pizzas.  He had looked at my pizza blog.   :-D

I might have a chance to experiment this coming Sunday in Steve's WFO if everything goes okay until then.  I first have to work on my starter.  I can call, or email Joe and ask him about how much a 50 lb. Bag will cost at a distributor if anyone is interested.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 03:30:05 PM »
Ingredients of this product; WHEAT FLOUR.

No malted barley...nothing...Cool

Also a Falling Number of 325 sec
Caputo is 340-360 sec

I wish American flours had a W rating number.

http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/product/gm-neapolitan-hearth-style-pizza-flour-50-lb/50237000

Mmmph,

Thanks for the information.  If you or anyone else wants me to call Joe with other questions let me know.

Norma

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »
I sent an e-mail, checking availability, to The Grain Mill of Wake Forest.
Hopefully, they'll reply in the affirmative.

http://www.thegrainmillwf.com/

Oh, and I just called my regional GM Sales rep. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

She's sending me a sample...Don't know how much, but I got it coming to me!

She said it's milled to 00 fineness, pure white...No bran.

$14 less, per bag, than Caputo.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:16:27 PM by Mmmph »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »
Mmmph,

Glad to hear you also are getting a sample of this new flour.  :P  You are better at Neapolitan pizza making than I am. The price of the GM pizza flour sounds good. 

I did call Joe and asked him about the W number.  He just responded in an email because he just got out of meetings.  This is what Joe said in the email. 

Hello Norma,

Sorry for not returning your call earlier today, just got out of meetings.

I attached the spec sheet which includes some of the technical information for the Neapolitan Style Flour.  I apologize for my ignorance but Im unfamiliar with what a W-rating is, what does it measure?  I should hopefully be able to get you the information once I know what were looking for.

Thank you,
Joe Kelley

I got a new computer lately and it doesn't have Microsoft Office installed.  I am trying to install Microsoft Office Starter 2010 for free, but don't know if I understand how to do that.  Someone else helped me to install another program before on my old computer so I couldn't look at documents that were sent to me.  I don't know what the spec sheet says yet, but how do I explain to Joey what the W-rating means?

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
Norma,

You can refer Joey to the section W in this document: http://www.cooknaturally.com/detailed/detailed.html

See, also, Reply 15 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4986.msg42545.html#msg42545

Peter

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 07:36:13 PM »
From; http://www.theartisan.net/Flours_One.htm

A lot of the Pizzarium style pizze use a high W rated flour.

W ratings

<120

Poor quality flours, unusable for bread making

120 - 160

Weak flours, appropriate for the production of Biscotti

160 - 250

Medium or average strength flours, used for soft doughs (paste molli) in the production of Pugliese, ciabatta, Francese, pane piuma, etc., for firm doughs (paste dure) in the production of pane ferrarese , and also for the refreshment of natural yeast (lievito naturale).

250 - 310

Flours of strength obtained from high quality national wheat and strong wheat of national or foreign origin, used in the production of maggiolino, baguette, rosetta, soffiato, & biove.

310 - 320

Flours extracted from strong wheat, used primarily for doughs with a long fermentation, indirect method doughs employing a biga or lieviti (natural yeasts) with long rises, or for sweet raised doughs such as pandoro, panettone, veneziane, etc.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 08:04:06 PM »
Norma,

You can refer Joey to the section W in this document: http://www.cooknaturally.com/detailed/detailed.html

See, also, Reply 15 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4986.msg42545.html#msg42545

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the links to show Joe what the W is.  I sure don't understand that, but maybe someone at General mills will. 

Norma

Offline dhorst

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »
Sweet score, Norma.  Hopefully I can find a distributor near me and grab some.  I do like to play around with flour.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »
From; http://www.theartisan.net/Flours_One.htm

A lot of the Pizzarium style pizze use a high W rated flour.

W ratings

<120

Poor quality flours, unusable for bread making

120 - 160

Weak flours, appropriate for the production of Biscotti

160 - 250

Medium or average strength flours, used for soft doughs (paste molli) in the production of Pugliese, ciabatta, Francese, pane piuma, etc., for firm doughs (paste dure) in the production of pane ferrarese , and also for the refreshment of natural yeast (lievito naturale).

250 - 310

Flours of strength obtained from high quality national wheat and strong wheat of national or foreign origin, used in the production of maggiolino, baguette, rosetta, soffiato, & biove.

310 - 320

Flours extracted from strong wheat, used primarily for doughs with a long fermentation, indirect method doughs employing a biga or lieviti (natural yeasts) with long rises, or for sweet raised doughs such as pandoro, panettone, veneziane, etc.

Mmmph,

Thanks, I also will send Joe that.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »
Sweet score, Norma.  Hopefully I can find a distributor near me and grab some.  I do like to play around with flour.

Diana,

I hope you can find a distributor for this flour.  You sound just like me in playing around with different flours.  Best of luck! 

Norma

Offline dhorst

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 07:15:56 AM »
Diana,

I hope you can find a distributor for this flour.  You sound just like me in playing around with different flours.  Best of luck! 

Norma

Have you ever played around with Prairie Gold WW flour?  It has a beautiful flavor and color.  My family is not into whole wheat breads, generally, but when I balance it out, they like it.  It actually has a high protein content for ww.