Author Topic: General Mills Neapolitan Hearth Style Pizza Flour?  (Read 13012 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: General Mills Neapolitan Hearth Style Pizza Flour?
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2013, 02:44:37 AM »
Hi Norma, is this the same flour that Craig tested  last night?
was very nice to meet you. I am sorry I could not make it today.
thanks
nico

nico,

It was very nice to meet you too!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
How was flavor compared to the Caputo? I almost wonder if the fact it a shorter time from milling to usage, since it is produced hear in the US instead of shipped over seas, that the flour is tastier/more aromatic.

Haven't had a chance to bake it yet...side by side with Caputo this week, though.

I am VERY impressed with this flour. I would say that for all intents and purposes, it is the functional equal of Caputo Pizzeria.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »
is this the same flour that Craig tested  last night?
nico
nico,

Yes.

Peter

Offline landras

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
nico,

Yes.

Peter

Thanks Peter, was very nice to meet you last weekend.
 I assumed it was. I already asked the rep for a sample, I hope they send me one.
nico

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »
Thanks Peter, was very nice to meet you last weekend.
 I assumed it was. I already asked the rep for a sample, I hope they send me one.
nico
nico,

It was also nice to meet you. And I wish you the best with your new WFO and your plans to exploit it in the South Texas region.

Peter

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
Does anyone know where they sell Gold Medal Neapolitan Flour in Southern California? 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »
Does anyone know where they sell Gold Medal Neapolitan Flour in Southern California?

tinroofrusted,

I just called Joe Kelley to see if he knew of someone that would answer your question, but had to leave him a voice mail.  Joe will probably get back to me.

Norma

Offline landras

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2013, 12:43:22 AM »
nico,

It was also nice to meet you. And I wish you the best with your new WFO and your plans to exploit it in the South Texas region.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I am curing the oven at this moment. If you are in this area after August let me know and I will be happy to cook some pies for you.
nico

Offline DocB0311

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »

I have 3 55lb. bags of the GM Neopolitan that I am more than happy to divide into smaller portions for people to try.
I have these from doing testing and comparisons to Caputo, San Felice and Bay State Contadina.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
I would not be surprised if Caputo was supplying this flour to GF.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2013, 09:56:13 PM »
Doc, where in Fl?

I'm in Tampa. I want to try some NP pies on the Blackstone. I'd be more than happy to take some of that flour off your hands.

How much do you wany to part with? Let me know and I'll send you a check or cash or my first born...

Tom

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
I would not be surprised if Caputo was supplying this flour to GF.

I would be very surprised if it was. The price difference between the two (100%+) seem to great for that to be likely. Not to mention it says "Manufactured by General Mills" on the bag. Caputo's volume must have grown significantly in the past few years with the recent growth of Neapolitan Pizza. I've wondered how they have kept up with it. Did they have that much excess capacity before? Are they building new capacity? If there is any flour being traded between the two, my bet would be that it is the other way around.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2013, 08:44:27 AM »
Whoo!  I just heard from the Sr. Territory Mgr of GM in my area, she is going to ship me a bag!  Anyone else in the Baltimore / MD area, here is her contact info:
Shotsie Wilson- General Mills
Sr. Territory Manager
0: 301-829-8128 f: 301-829-8129

NP experiments on my LBE coming soon, I'm really excited!   :chef:

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2013, 10:26:10 AM »
Whoo!  I just heard from the Sr. Territory Mgr of GM in my area, she is going to ship me a bag!  Anyone else in the Baltimore / MD area, here is her contact info:
Sr. Territory Manager

Thanks I may have to give that a go.Now that I have an oven that can do NP, I guess I have no excuse for not trying it.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »
Sr. Territory Manager

Brian,

Great to hear you also got a sample bag.   8)

Norma

Offline Peasant

« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2013, 10:50:42 AM »
Thanks again Norma for bringing this flour to my attention and leading to me putting a sample bag through the wringer.  After reading the beginnings of this post I promptly got a bag.  I proceeded to do a side by side test including baking in a Ferrara.  The GM seems indistinguishable from Caputo.  During dough making, balling, stretching and baking, I and the pizza eaters around me couldn't distinguish between the two doughs.  It may have been my imagination, but I thought the GM smelled better when cracking open the cornice. 

I posted some poor quality pics for those that might be interested in the flours next to each other, balled dough and cooked pies (just the GM).

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »
Thanks again Norma for bringing this flour to my attention and leading to me putting a sample bag through the wringer.  After reading the beginnings of this post I promptly got a bag.  I proceeded to do a side by side test including baking in a Ferrara.  The GM seems indistinguishable from Caputo.  During dough making, balling, stretching and baking, I and the pizza eaters around me couldn't distinguish between the two doughs.  It may have been my imagination, but I thought the GM smelled better when cracking open the cornice. 

I posted some poor quality pics for those that might be interested in the flours next to each other, balled dough and cooked pies (just the GM).

Peasant,

I am glad you like the new GM flour.  Since you put it though a side by side test with a Ferrara it is great to hear you think it might be indistinguishable from Caputo. 

Thanks for posting photos of your results.  The pies look delicious!  :drool:

I will be trying the new GM flour out again as soon as I get my Blackstone put together.  Steve was going to help me tomorrow, but I think his plans have been changed by something that came up with his family, so I guess I will try to put the BS together myself.  Steve said he could help me on Monday, but I am too hyped to try the BS out.  :-D I made some dough last night using Craig's method and I guess I was too tired and botched the first batch of dough.  I mixed the second batch, but didn't get finished with that batch until 4:00 AM this morning.  Hopefully that batch is okay. 

Norma

Offline Peasant

« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »
...I mixed the second batch, but didn't get finished with that batch until 4:00 AM this morning.  Hopefully that batch is okay. 

Norma

you must be really excited!  Thanks again for posting your initial test and helping us get our hands on some. 

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
Norma, your commitment is amazing.   Were you up late or up early?  "didn't get finished with that batch until 4:00 AM this morning"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »
you must be really excited!  Thanks again for posting your initial test and helping us get our hands on some.

Peasant,

Yes, I am really excited to try the Blackstone oven and hope my dough turns out right.  I had a really wet dough the first time and must have done my weighing of some measurement wrong.  :-\ I have to first see if I can put the BS together right.  My DIY skills aren't the best.   :-D

You are more than welcome.  I would not have found out about this flour though if I wasn't trying to find out how to make tomato pies, so really the thanks should go to Joe Kelley. 

Norma