Author Topic: Recommendation on brick over wood fired pizza oven  (Read 1138 times)

Offline stefanoNY

• I Love Pizza!
Recommendation on brick over wood fired pizza oven
« on: June 05, 2013, 02:45:03 PM »
Hello everyone,

I want to get my brick wood-fired oven and in desperate need for some advice.  I want to get a factory assembled (fully finished, ready to use) wood fired oven to place in my patio for outdoor use.  I have done a lot of research - down to getting a quote from Stefano Ferrara in Naples - but I am not quite sure what to do.  Importing the original product from Naples seems to be cost-prohibitive for me.  I have looked at a number of options in the USA and the ones I am homing in are: Chicago Brick Oven 750 model, Fornobravo Napolino 28" model and a Mugnaini Medio 100.  I really like the outside shape of the Napolino, but I just feel 28" is too small to cook two pizzas at the same time - which is something I am interested in.  The CBO seems to be around the same size and that leaves me with the Mugnaini. 

- Any recommendations?  Any other vendor I should consider?
- Any thoughts on the ability of the oven to withstand all year round north east weather? (I live in NY).  The CBO vendor suggested I should be careful on brick ovens as they crack under cold weather...
- Also, would you know if I need any special permit to have a wood fired oven outdoor?

Thank you for the help.
Regards,
Stefano

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Recommendation on brick over wood fired pizza oven
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
http://www.earthstoneovens.com/resoven_pa.shtml

I have a Model 90 (too small for 2 @ a time, IMO) that I use all year-round frequently firing from a cold start in single-digit temps. Not a crack after 11+ years.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:22:20 PM »
Hi Stefano,

There are many options out there.

What you want to make sure is that the oven comes with a warranty that covers freezing temperatures. For example the FGM ovens come with a 3 years limited warranty and that covers deep freezing temperatures.

I have quite a few bricked dome ovens that have been installed in the Northern part of the North America, including Canada and they haven't had any issues.
During the winter, even when it is freezing, you can fire your oven to 900 F and the bricks can take it without any problem.

For an oven that can cook 2 pizza at time, I would say a diameter of 27" is ok, 32" diameter is good, 36" gives you plenty of space.

Antoine

WFO cooking is about passion.

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »
I bookmarked this post for future reference. The list had a few ovens that were new to me.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25295.msg255368.html#msg255368

pizzapan