Author Topic: Help with frozen dough balls  (Read 599 times)

Offline CRAIGH

• I Love Pizza!
Help with frozen dough balls
« on: June 05, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »
Help with frozen dough balls needed.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE: Remove required number of dough balls from freezer and place approximately 2" apart on a tray.
To avoid skinning, cover with a lightly greased film and place in a refrigerator overnight.

When I follow instructions the ball size is about the same as a frozen ball maybe slightly bigger 5% after defrosting in the fridge.

If I leave them out they will almost double in size after 7 hours 80-90% bigger diameter.
So my question is- what size should The defrosted dough ball be when using, as a percentage to the frozen size ?
or should there not be any change in size? Hope this makes sense!!! Thanks

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Help with frozen dough balls
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »
Craigh, I have never bought pre made frozen dough. I have frozen my own however. I would say that the size of the dough ball after it has been defrosted in the fridge and then left in the room will depend on #1 the amount of yeast used to make the dough ball, possible the type of flour and hydration. When I defrost my dough balls in the fridge and then leave at room temp, 2 hrs, the amount of size increase is minimal certainly not 2x the original dough ball. I would suggest that whatever size the dough is after room temp , open the dough to your desired size pie, if the thickness is good for you then all is well, if the thickness is too much then cut off a bit of the dough before opening, if too thin then you are left with a smaller pie size, unless you want to combine 2 balls.
good luck.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »
As you noted, you get very little rise in the refrigerator, the overnight rest in the fridge will thaw the dough, but it must be set out at room temp for the final rise. Depending on the ambient temperature of your house, the dough should probably warm for 1-2 hours at room temp. A general rule of thumb is for the dough to double or come close to doubling in size, but as long as the dough has warmed enough to work with, don't worry to much about it's size, it will rise when it hits the heat of the oven. Hope that makes sense to you.

Offline CRAIGH

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys. Dave I think you pretty much answered my question thanks.
I am using 7oz balls to make 9" pizzas had a couple of friends round at weekend
Only 3rd time I have used the oven and the dough worked well (left to double in size) pushed out by hand easely.
Just wanted reasuring it was right to let double, and not letting it over grow.
pic of oven and friends GF with her first pizza. Not the best picture of the pizza.

pizzapan