Author Topic: Stacked brick oven  (Read 3421 times)

Offline Morgan

Stacked brick oven
« on: June 07, 2013, 07:51:16 AM »
Im going to stack my first wfo this weekend. I will add some pictures later when i get started.

Offline Morgan

Re: Stacked brick oven
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »
Not the nicest or the brightest wfo of the town, but i like it ;D Stacked with my little brother, took about 1-2 hours to get the first smoke. First i didn't make a chimney, but i made the modification very soon as i noticed it would be nice to have.

I bought the firebricks secondhand, but all new. They were about 1.30$ each and in the hardware store 2.60$ each. Iron for the roof cost 30$ and one piece left over.

As you can see the design is very easy and simple dry-stack, but at least its my own :-D

In the future i will make a insulated oven for sure, but right now there just isn't time or effort to make it.

I got the temp of the floor around 300-400c, first pizza baked around 3-4 minutes, not very fast or very slow either. I have to remind that this was my first firing of the real woodfired oven.

I think i should make it little pit smaller so it would warm up much faster and i could use more bricks on the roof as a insulator. What easy modification should i make for this or just stack it more properly some other time ?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:56:16 PM by Morgan »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »
It will work even better if you eliminate the chimney.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 05:38:51 PM »
It will work even better if you eliminate the chimney.

Really, why is that ? I can test it tomorrow without the chimney. Should i lower the oven with one set of bricks, it looks pretty tall ?

Offline oknewell

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »
Really, why is that ? I can test it tomorrow without the chimney. Should i lower the oven with one set of bricks, it looks pretty tall ?
Lot of heat goes up the stack. Usually the chimney is built outside the entrance (inner arch).

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
Ditch the chimney and make sure that the door is 62-65% the height of the ceiling for empirically proven heat retention.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 01:07:26 AM »
I will take the chimney away and try it again today, thanks for the tip ;)

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
I took the chimney apart, much better heat after that. I got floor temps past 950f :pizza:

Bottom baked in about one minute or even faster, i had to dome it heavily since the bottom baked very quickly. This was my second firing and now i really felt the heat in the oven.

I also made the oven little smaller by adding firebricks inside of the oven. This is going to work just fine until i make a better one.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »
Morgan, how long did you preheat the oven to get it to 950f?  And where did you take the temp reading? Next to the coals or right where you would be placing the pie?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 07:02:33 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 06:55:56 PM »
Would love to see updated pictures, as well as pizza pictures.  :pizza:
Josh

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 10:55:11 PM »
Love it, nIce job. Let's see some pizza pics!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 03:01:06 AM »
Morgan, how long did you preheat the oven to get it to 950f?  And where did you take the temp reading? Next to the coals or right where you would be placing the pie?

Sorry i didn't time it, but several hours i assume. I checked the reading from many places on the floor, highest temps were over 950f since my Fluke Ir thermometer doesn't recognize temps over that. Last picture you can see were the pie is, temp were around 850-950+.

Next i have to get a longer pizzapeel and some other tools too, the peels i have made by my self are good in homeoven, but this oven is just took damn hot. I almost burned my hands during the dome time since my hands were only about 8" away from the opening. I will add few pictures later!

Is wooden peel no-go on woodfired oven ? I got some charring to the peels and i really dont think that these can handle the heat.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
So this is already the third version of this oven :-D Then the rain came and i had to make rooftop and fast so i added some tin plate to the roof. I was heating the oven when it started to dripple, you could here sssshhhh ssshhhh sssssshhh ssssssss everywhere.

Next to get better peel so i can really dome it without burning my hand.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:45:45 AM by Morgan »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »
Added bricks inside to make it little smaller.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »
How does rock wool work as a insulation layer ?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »
Next time you fire it, remove about 2/3 of those coals and just add a small diameter log that will provide some flame (and light) while you are cooking.  Looks like the pizza is great, and that is what counts.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 06:26:38 PM »
Looks like the pizza is great, and that is what counts.

+1 I'm impressed  :pizza:
Josh

Offline Morgan

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 02:18:51 AM »
Next time you fire it, remove about 2/3 of those coals and just add a small diameter log that will provide some flame (and light) while you are cooking.  Looks like the pizza is great, and that is what counts.

I will try this too, there is so much to learn when playing with wood fired oven. Thanks for the hint :chef:

When i use burning wood with the coals does it burn the pizza when i dome it ? Or does it bake the toppings faster that way even without dome time ?

Offline mfonner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »
I will try this too, there is so much to learn when playing with wood fired oven. Thanks for the hint :chef:

When i use burning wood with the coals does it burn the pizza when i dome it ? Or does it bake the toppings faster that way even without dome time ?

I'm trying to follow along. Doesn't that mean a better balance is needed to get even results? I'm thinking you shouldn't have to raise the pie to the dome to get it browned.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
I'm trying to follow along. Doesn't that mean a better balance is needed to get even results? I'm thinking you shouldn't have to raise the pie to the dome to get it browned.

Yes you are right. The bottom of the oven was too warm and the top didn't produce enough heat. For sure its better if i don't have to dome it, but i have seen that its pretty common to wfo-ovens and since this is not insulated i think i just have to live with it.

pizzapan