Author Topic: Advice Needed on first WFO....unsure of Manufacture's Quality  (Read 1878 times)

Offline etout

Hi,  I'm looking for some advice and opinions on my first wood fired oven. I am currently renting a house for the time being so I can not build a permanent structure for the oven nor can I lay down bricks for a traditional full fire-brick dome oven.

These restrictions have narrowed down my search to a few manufactures of semi-mobile ovens, not neccessarily something I'll be moving around the yard, but at least something that is movable when the house lease ends.

I've been looking at the FGM neopolitan oven as well as the FB P70....both withing the $2000-2500 range and around the 27-28" diameter. Both have good reviews on this forum, but I wanted an opinion on some other similar priced or cheaper ovens.

One oven which I've seen rebranded on a few sites is an Australian based oven which appears to have the correct 63% dome/entry dimensions and appears to be decently constructed. I've found a local deal significantly cheaper than the FGM and FB70 for this oven.

Does anyone have opinions or experience with the ovens produced by the Australian company Mediterranean Woodfired Ovens:

They are made in Australia and show up under the following companies

http://www.woodfiredovensusa.com/
http://.www.vermontwoodfiredovens.com/

Also listed as 'Rustic Cedar Oven' or 'Red Brick Arch Oven' on some resellers sites and via a Google search.

The one I'm interested in is the AD70 pre-built kit on www.vermontwoodfiredovens.com
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:58:09 AM by etout »

Offline Fire-n-smoke

Re: Advice Needed on first WFO....unsure of Manufacture's Quality
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
interesting looking ovens.  let us know if you buy one and how well it works
tom

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »
Hi there,

you should read that thread, I helped him correct the problem he had with the oven you are looking at.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21554.msg226839.html#msg226839

To me it was an easy fix and if you decide to go with that company, I can help you prevent the problem and tell you where to get the right materials.
But if I were you, I would want to simply make sure they correct the issues reported.

Good luck with your search.

Antoine

WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline etout

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »
 Antoine,
Thanks for the reply...much appreciated. The one I'm looking at is the AD70 preassembled, which most likely has the same construction as the commercial size oven in your linked post. I'll only be cooking a dozen or so pizzas at a time (or less most likely) so maybe I won't see such a huge drop in the floor temp as the forum member in your posted link? Either way it sounds like an easy fix to add a layer of fiber board to the bottom between the stand and oven underside.

Is there any insulating fiber board suppliers you know of in the upstate NY area by any chance (Albany NY)?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:16:22 PM by etout »

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
Here is one that came-up on my google search:
http://www.ceramaterials.com/ceramicfiberblanket.html
Ceramic fiber boards, 1" thick rated 2300 F is what you would need.
Make sure it is good quality insulation made in the US as there are a lot of cheap, poor quality product made in china.
Otherwise I used http://ceramsource.com/, but they are in NJ.

You need to see if they sell you a small quantity and the shipping is a little pricy since it is a considered an at risk material.

Or you could buy a Neapolitan from me and there is no modification required  :-D

Antoine

Offline etout

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:19:30 AM »
Here is one that came-up on my google search:
http://www.ceramaterials.com/ceramicfiberblanket.html
Ceramic fiber boards, 1" thick rated 2300 F is what you would need.
Make sure it is good quality insulation made in the US as there are a lot of cheap, poor quality product made in china.
Otherwise I used http://ceramsource.com/, but they are in NJ.

You need to see if they sell you a small quantity and the shipping is a little pricy since it is a considered an at risk material.

Or you could buy a Neapolitan from me and there is no modification required  :-D

Antoine

Antoine,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, much appreciated. I found a link for a re-branded Mediterranean Woodfired Oven description where it listed the base material for the preassembled AD70 as being 'fiber board'.......perhaps they changed out the fiber blanket OR the preassembled ovens use fiber board vs. fiber blanket since they can be lifted/set off the base? I'll have to double check with the manufacturer, and I'll have to hunt down that linked description which lists fiber board vs. fiber blanket.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »
Antoine,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, much appreciated. I found a link for a re-branded Mediterranean Woodfired Oven description where it listed the base material for the preassembled AD70 as being 'fiber board'.......perhaps they changed out the fiber blanket OR the preassembled ovens use fiber board vs. fiber blanket since they can be lifted/set off the base? I'll have to double check with the manufacturer, and I'll have to hunt down that linked description which lists fiber board vs. fiber blanket.

Yes, they possibly could have improved the kit.
I do the same think with the FGM ovens where they usually come out of the factory with perlite insulation for the floor. But I buy the oven without any insulation and add the insulation here in the US. That way I can buy high quality ceramic fiber board for the bottom and blanket for the top.
Just double check they have what you want.

Antoine

Offline etout

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »
Antoine,

Thanks again for the reply...I will be calling you soon to discuss the Neapolitan Oven you sell as its my other choice for a semi-mobile oven.

I did some more searching for the Mediterranean Woodfired Ovens, like the AD70 I am considering, and I am positive that the 'Jamie Oliver Dome60' is just a re-branded AD60.  I mention this since they have some more info and videos of the ovens in case anyone else was wondering. Here is a link to the Jamie Oliver Oven Dome60 (the smaller version of the AD70 I am considering):

http://www.jamieoliver.com/wood-fired-ovens/oven-range/dome-60

Video:
Jamie at Home Wood Fired Oven - Dome 60

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »
I did some more searching for the Mediterranean Woodfired Ovens, like the AD70 I am considering, and I am positive that the 'Jamie Oliver Dome60' is just a re-branded AD60.  I mention this since they have some more info and videos of the ovens in case anyone else was wondering. Here is a link to the Jamie Oliver Oven Dome60 (the smaller version of the AD70 I am considering):

http://www.jamieoliver.com/wood-fired-ovens/oven-range/dome-60

A 23.6" cooking floor is tiny. Combined with the minimal insulation and mass of the Dome60, its going to be difficult at best to get any sort of balanced heat. I'm sure you can bake a pizza in it just fine, but if your goal is a traditional-looking, leoparded Neapolitan pizza, I think it will be quite a challenge.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline etout

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »
A 23.6" cooking floor is tiny. Combined with the minimal insulation and mass of the Dome60, its going to be difficult at best to get any sort of balanced heat. I'm sure you can bake a pizza in it just fine, but if your goal is a traditional-looking, leparded Neapolitan pizza, I think it will be quite a challenge.

I should have been more clear, I'm NOT interested in the Dome60 or the AD60.....I just noticed that the 'Jamie Oliver Dome60' appeared to be a rebranded AD60 made by the company who makes the model of oven I was interested in, the Australian company 'Mediterranean Woodfired Ovens', also sold on the Vermont Woodfired Ovens site I linked

The model of oven I am interested in is the AD70 that I linked in my fist post, its 28" internal diameter and is a low dome (around 15") and has a low door height (a little over 8"). The size, weight and construction of the Mediterranean Woodfired Oven model AD70 is close/similar to the Forno Bravo Primavera70 which can definitely make true leoparded NP pizzas. The AD70 is the only oven I am considering, not the Dome60 or AD60....I referenced those as the design is somewhat similar to the AD70, only smaller and lighter.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:58:53 PM by etout »