Author Topic: King Arthur's "Perfect Pizza Blend"  (Read 1023 times)

Offline alhobart

• I Love Pizza!
King Arthur's "Perfect Pizza Blend"
« on: June 07, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone used the subject product to make a NY style pizza?  How does it compare to the recommended dough recipes on this site (i.e. Lehmann's, Glutenboy's, etc.)?  Just curious if it would be worth trying out.  I mean since Sir Lancelot is not available locally and I would have to order it anyway, I thought I might add it on the order.  The main reason I would be hesitant is my wife buys the pizza crust (crap) mixes that are sold at the local supermarkets and they are not very good.  I am not sure if this is one of those kinds of mixes or if it is a really well thought out product.

Edit:  I should say that I did use the Search function for this forum and did not find any posts related to the subject.  I may have missed it in another forum or something, and if I did, I apologize.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:21:46 PM by alhobart »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: King Arthur's "Perfect Pizza Blend"
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »
Alhobart, welcome to the forum. Out of curiosity I bought a couple bags of that flour about a year ago. There are at least 2 types of flour mixed together with the addition of baking powder and conditioners. I did not find any advantage to using this flour and in fact I like KABF with my own levening a lot better. I still have a bag or partial, if you like I will send it to you to try.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:01:57 PM »
Edit:  I should say that I did use the Search function for this forum and did not find any posts related to the subject.  I may have missed it in another forum or something, and if I did, I apologize.

No need to apologize. It helps to know how to use the forum's search engines.

Try this. Go to the Advanced search page at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=search. You can access that page by hitting the Search button in the row of buttons at the top of each page of the forum. Then type the expression "Perfect Pizza Blend" (in quotes as shown) into the Search box. Then select the option Show results as messages, and hit the Search button. You will end up with a lot of hits but only the posts that have the above search expression highlighted in yellow are the ones you will want to look at. All of the irrelevant posts will not have any highlighting. I did a quick scan of all of the posts and found 27 posts that contain the expression "Perfect Pizza Blend". If you look at those, you will pretty much have the forum's history on that topic covering a period of almost nine years.

Peter

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:14:36 PM »
FWIW, the recipe on the bag translates to:

Flour - 100%
Water - 65%
IDY - 1.4%
Salt - 1.6%
Oil -2%

I think that it's pretty terrible overall.  I kept the bag around just in case I run short of bench flour someday.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline alhobart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 10:15:51 PM »
Thank you all.  If it is as bad as you guys make it out to be, I won't even bother.  I've been getting pretty good results using a modified version of Glutenboy's recipe, so I guess I will stick with that, for the time being.  I don't need any flour, right now, but I was considering ordering the KASL flour when I run out. 

@Mark,
Thank you for the offer, but based on the other replies (and I am sure I will see more of the same when I try my search again and hopefully will get Pete's results to go through) I do not think I will take you up on it.

pizzapan