Author Topic: Pie from today...  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
Pie from today...
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:38:41 PM »
Just got a stone but its 95 degrees in Florida so I think I'll pass this time. Anyways baked this on a screen, also my first time using Grande. I opted for a whole milk loaf. And I'd have to say I was nervous after reading all the mixed reviews about grande but I must say it taste pretty damn good to me. One thing I did notice was it seems like there is a point right before over cooking the cheese that you get the most flavor, all the yummy oils release, but if slightly undercooked it doesn't have as much kick to it.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pie from today...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »
And another

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
Looks great.  That's a 16in right?  Can't wait to see the stone bake.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »
looks like you opened up the skin really well. I would eat it.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »
Yea I still need a lot of practice opening the skin and with my stretching techniques. Having some rookie problems lol. It was supposed to be 16 inch with a .7 thickness factor. Turned out to be about 14.5 inches.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
Camaro10,

Was the pizza made using the dough that rose a lot more and faster than you wanted?

Peter

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 08:09:03 PM »
No Pete this was a different dough I made lastnight.  The dough your speaking of was reballed today or at least I tried to it was my firtte reballing so we will see how we'll it works.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »
Just got a stone but its 95 degrees in Florida so I think I'll pass this time. Anyways baked this on a screen, also my first time using Grande. I opted for a whole milk loaf. And I'd have to say I was nervous after reading all the mixed reviews about grande but I must say it taste pretty damn good to me. One thing I did notice was it seems like there is a point right before over cooking the cheese that you get the most flavor, all the yummy oils release, but if slightly undercooked it doesn't have as much kick to it.
Yes sir, Scott123 talks about this "boiling" all the time. Tastes great huh!  :drool:
Pie looks faaantastic Camaro...nice work man.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
they look great
Deb

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »
Thanks I also tried a can of the alta cucina tomatoes on one pie and Classico on the other. I still don't know which one I liked better but Im leaning towards the alta cucinas. More of a fresh taste. I was eatin the whole tomatoes right out of the can.  ;D

scott123

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »
Camaro, that's a solid looking NY slice. Like Nate, I look forward to seeing what you can achieve with a stone.

By the way, if you're used to primarily supermarket mozzarella, Grande will be a huge step up, but, imo, there's better commercial cheeses than Grande.  I haven't found them yet, but I'm certain they're out there, based on the cheese I get on local pizzeria pies.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:32 AM »
My first impression is that your pizza came from a local NY pizzeria!  Very nice looking pie.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »
Camaro, that's a solid looking NY slice. Like Nate, I look forward to seeing what you can achieve with a stone.

By the way, if you're used to primarily supermarket mozzarella, Grande will be a huge step up, but, imo, there's better commercial cheeses than Grande.  I haven't found them yet, but I'm certain they're out there, based on the cheese I get on local pizzeria pies.

Thanks everybody I would like to try Bacio but its hard to locate. The local pizzeria where I bought the grande from told me that grande is going for 2.47lb.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »
$2.47 a pound is a steal! You mentioned you made the dough the day you baked it, try a three day cold ferment and you will notice that your crust will brown more. All in all a great pie, especially baked on a pan. Alta Cucina's are great tomatoes, only reason I don't use them is the fact that the cans are so big I have to freeze leftovers, and I hate frozen tomatoes. Break out that stone!
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »
Trust me I want to use the stone but its blistering hot in Florida right now  :drool:  Plus I need to do some experimenting as far as oven rack placement and so forth.

Im actually thinking about buying a little thinner stone..... right now I have a 18x18x1

I am leaning towards this one...
http://www.axner.com/cordieriteshelf-16roundx58.aspx
Only problem is I make mostly 16" pies and I will have little room of error transferring with the peel. Im not peel experienced yet  :o

scott123

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 02:23:41 PM »
Stick with the 18" stone- you need any additional target area you can get for a 16" pie.

Place on the shelf that's between 5-7" from the broiler. This will allow you to use the broiler during the bake, if necessary, to match the top browning to the bottom. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »
Stick with the 18" stone- you need any additional target area you can get for a 16" pie.

Place on the shelf that's between 5-7" from the broiler. This will allow you to use the broiler during the bake, if necessary, to match the top browning to the bottom.
Scott,
I'm not sure of Camaro's oven top/bottom heaters....but, we often see recommendations about heating bottom for 1hr+ and then hitting it with top broiler for 10-15 before launch, etc..  Can some preheat time be shaved off if one was to start preheating with both top an bottom(if so equipped)heat applied at the get go?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:41:50 PM by Chicago Bob »

scott123

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 03:01:55 PM »
Can some preheat time be shaved off if one was to start preheating with both top an bottom(if so equipped)heat applied at the get go?

Bob, I'm sure they exist somewhere, but I've never seen a home oven that could turn on broil and bake elements at the same time.  As far as using the broiler for the pre-heat, I'm a little wary of that. Unless the stone is within a distance where a pizza can't fit (less than 1"), I don't think the broiler adds that much heat to the stone. Even if it does bump up the core stone temp a few degrees, when the broiler is on before baking, you always risk the thermostat getting pegged and not having the broiler turn on during the bake.  You could crack open the door during the bake, but then you're losing heat out the door.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
Bob, I'm sure they exist somewhere, but I've never seen a home oven that could turn on broil and bake elements at the same time.  As far as using the broiler for the pre-heat, I'm a little wary of that. Unless the stone is within a distance where a pizza can't fit (less than 1"), I don't think the broiler adds that much heat to the stone. Even if it does bump up the core stone temp a few degrees, when the broiler is on before baking, you always risk the thermostat getting pegged and not having the broiler turn on during the bake.  You could crack open the door during the bake, but then you're losing heat out the door.
Thanks Scott...forgot about the non duality issue of common ovens. Too bad these things aren't more easily modified for folks to reach the wicked web of balance needed.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:50 PM »
My feeling on stones is the bigger, the better! I'm considering ordering an 18" so i don't have to start my 18" pies on a screen.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »
Yea I can't wait to start cooking on my stone but my issue is that since I have a 1 inch thick stone it take so long to heat it. I tested it lastnight. But didn't have any dough ready. Just wanted to cure it. And it took 1 hr for it to reach 525. And 2 hrs to cool down.

pizzapan