Author Topic: Brad's Pizza Thread  (Read 1313 times)

Offline bradtri

Brad's Pizza Thread
« on: June 08, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »
Decided just to make a single thread for posting my results.  Here's tonight's results.

The first pizza was a Four Cheese (Mozz, Fontina, Feta, Parm) with sliced tomatoes and fresh basil.  Definitely high on our enjoyment scale.

Offline wahoo88

Re: Brad's Pizza Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 09:49:38 PM »
Brad, I'm new to the forum (but not to pizza  ;) ), so I'm not familiar with your pies.  They all look great, but the classic look of that #2 pepperoni pizza really got me.  Could you give us a brief overview of cooking method, dough, etc.?  These are very similar to the style I've been striving for.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
Absolutely.   My method is a little different because I use a Big Steel Keg for cooking.  Stone temp is around 650-700 and air temp is in the 600's also.  For the bake, about 1 minute on the stone and then I put a screen underneath to keep the bottom from overcooking and then usually finish with a 4 minute cook. 

Here's the recipe:

Mix all ingredients together until combined and starting to form a ball, 30-60 seconds.  Allow dough to rest for 5 minutes to fully hydrate the flour.  Knead on low speed for 6-8 minutes until a smoother ball forms.  Dough should be between 80-85F degrees.  Divide dough into 400 g balls, coat lightly with oil and place in plastic bag or Gladware container.  Refrigerate for one to ten days.   Better flavor develops with longer fermentation in the refrigerator.
On baking day, remove container of dough from refrigerator 2-3 hours before baking time.  Allow container to sit for 1 hour at room temperature.  Re-ball dough, spray oil in bottom of container and place ball of dough back in and cover.  Let rest for 1-2 hours before baking. 

Makes six 400 g balls   62%   Hydration   

King Arthur Bread Flour   1425 grams
Salt                                   4   teaspoons
Instant Yeast              2   teaspoons
Water room temp           884   grams
Canola or Olive oil            4   tablespoons

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:24:33 AM »
Looks like some good pizza Brad. I'd eat some.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 03:00:30 PM »
Thanks Jeff .... I seem to like them well enough to eat more than some!! 

My pies seem to be somewhere between the Neopolitan and New York styles.  4 minute bake makes them closer to NY, but the crust comes out very light and poofy with a nice crunch on the outside and bit of chew inside.

Now that I've finally got the crust to what I like the best, I'm starting to zero in on trying different toppings to make it more interesting.  That Tomato and 4 Cheese from above was very tasty!!

Offline bradtri

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 12:59:51 PM »
I haven't done a good job of posting to my own "results" thread, so here are a couple from last night.  I've been really happy with results coming out of my Big Steel Keg.

The first pizza is the boys' standard pepperoni.  The second pizza is Roasted Brussel Sprouts, Goat Cheese, Fresh Mozzarella and sun-dried cherry tomatoes.  I've been drizzling Calabrian Chili oil on at the finish.  The Brussel Sprouts and Goat cheese has become a real favorite.

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 01:09:39 PM »
Wait, what's going on there?  ???  Do you cut the pie, pull the pieces slightly apart, and then take pictures?  Or did you preform individual slice ends?

Offline bradtri

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 01:35:31 PM »
Are you talking about the "notches" in the crust?   That's our way of identifying one half of the pizza vs the other half.  Each person in our family likes to dress their own half of the pizza.  So, when the pizza is being topped, I take a pair of kitchen shears and cut 5 notches in one side so that we can keep track of things.  The notches also then correspond to where the cuts take place. 

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »
Yeah, those notches were what I was referring to.  Interesting solution, indeed.