Author Topic: Garlic Scapes!  (Read 2432 times)

Offline dhorst

Garlic Scapes!
« on: June 09, 2013, 06:57:07 AM »
Just scored the first bunch of the season from the farmers market.  I'm going to pick as many as can handle over the few weeks they're in season, here.  I'm planning on making pesto, pickled scapes, infused vinegar, top pizza with them and in salads too.  Anyone else excited?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Garlic Scapes!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 07:50:28 AM »
Diana,

Nice score!!  :)  I never saw any garlic scapes in my area to try.  I am sure you will have fun with your garlic scrapes.   8)

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »
What are garlic scrapes? ???

Offline dhorst

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:03:04 AM »
David, they are wonderful.  Here's an article that might help you out. 
http://www.garlicfarmct.com/recipes.htm

They're pretty little suckers with lots of bright flavor.  I'm going to use some in tonight's dinner.  I just haven't made up my if I want to make pizza, or if I want to make a shrimp and scallop dish with some.  If I don't make pizza, there will be some garlic scape baguttes to go with the shrimp and scallops.

Norma, if you have any local garlic farms in your area, you might check with them.  I surprised they haven't popped up at the market.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 09:22:48 AM »
I saw a lot of garlic for sale at road side stands out near the Cooperstown area last fall, bet I could find some out there. I think I'd be using them in stir frys!

Offline dhorst

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »
They would definitely be awesome in stir fries.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »

Norma, if you have any local garlic farms in your area, you might check with them.  I surprised they haven't popped up at the market.

Diana,

We have an organic vegetable stand at market.  I never thought to check them this time of the year to see if they carry garlic scapes.  Thanks for the tip!   ;)

Norma

Offline breffni

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
Don't have a recipe but if pasta making is among your many talents, last summer we found homemade garlic scape & pecorino romano pappardelle at a farmer's market when visiting Grand Rapids, MI that was outstanding

Offline dhorst

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »
Don't have a recipe but if pasta making is among your many talents, last summer we found homemade garlic scape & pecorino romano pappardelle at a farmer's market when visiting Grand Rapids, MI that was outstanding

I do make homemade pasta and happen to have some durum that I've been meaning to get into.  That sounds awesome.  It's supposed to pour here tomorrow, so that sounds like a good rainy day project!  Thanks!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
I came up with a pretty good garlic scape pesto last year.
http://valentinopasta.com/recipe-garlic-scape-pesto/
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 04:01:36 PM »
I came up with a pretty good garlic scape pesto last year.
http://valentinopasta.com/recipe-garlic-scape-pesto/

That's on my list of things to make, Jeff.  Thanks!  Today's project is garlic scape vinegar.  Tomorrow it will be pasta dough made with scapes, Friday may just see a pizza made with the scape pesto.  I'll probably pick up more scapes and make a large batch of pesto to freeze, since scapes are only around for a few weeks a year.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »
They're also good charred on the grill, chopped then mixed with ricotta and pecorino served on bread...or as part of a white pizza.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 05:51:30 PM »

thanks Diana,  was going to go on a garlic scape hunt,  this might be the place.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »
thanks Diana,  was going to go on a garlic scape hunt,  this might be the place.
You are welcome!  I was going to make some scape pasta dough, but I'm craving gnocchi, so it looks like garlic scape gnocchi with a brown butter sage sauce for dinner tonight.  The guys will have steak with theirs.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 07:44:59 PM »

Thanks Diana for the link.   the barn is an old tobacco barn, while I was paying for my scapes my friend was talking with the farmer and he told her that  it's an impressive sight with all the garlic hanging after harvest, we will be going back to check that out.

made some garlic scape pesto this weekend,  pizza tonight

dry & fresh mozz, garlic scape pesto, a few scapes . 

Next one is going to have roasted red peppers and broccoli. 

I'm also going to do a pasta salad with some of the pesto at some point this week (with valentino ww fusilli )

Offline dhorst

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »
Thanks Diana for the link.   the barn is an old tobacco barn, while I was paying for my scapes my friend was talking with the farmer and he told her that  it's an impressive sight with all the garlic hanging after harvest, we will be going back to check that out.

made some garlic scape pesto this weekend,  pizza tonight

dry & fresh mozz, garlic scape pesto, a few scapes . 

Next one is going to have roasted red peppers and broccoli. 

I'm also going to do a pasta salad with some of the pesto at some point this week (with valentino ww fusilli )

The pizza looks wonderful!  I'm so glad you got some.  What do you think of them?  The barn sounds pretty cool.  I hope you can post some pics of your future visit.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 08:07:24 PM »
The pizza looks wonderful!  I'm so glad you got some.  What do you think of them?  The barn sounds pretty cool.  I hope you can post some pics of your future visit.

thanks.   the scapes are awesome, the pizza was really good.

Saturday my son tossed some french fries with chopped garlic scapes, a little olive oil  and parmesan cheese and they were good.

My friend took a bunch of pictures,  I will get some from her to post for now.  I didn't take many this time but will when we go back. 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 09:42:12 PM »
I found some garlic scapes early this morning at the organic vegetable stand.  I only had time to put some of the garlic scapes on two pizzas, but didn't have time to take photos of the baked pizzas.

Norma

Offline breffni

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
Garlic scape fettucine

Offline derricktung

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 07:18:41 AM »
Interesting!  I just had a friend FB message me as to whether we would be interested in a bunch of garlic scapes to use for our pies... I"m not that familiar with the ingredient, so hearing how you use it on pies (pesto, etc.) definitely gives me some ideas.  The scape pesto sounds simple and delicious...

pizzapan