Author Topic: Superbowl Pizza  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
Superbowl Pizza
« on: February 03, 2006, 07:18:55 AM »
Just wondered who was going to make pizza for Superbowl Sunday, any superbowl parties?
I am having a pizza day at my house for the game. Family(mom & Bill, grandpa, Sister family, my family and a friend or two.

Going to do the NY Style and Fried pizza(My wife and daughters favorite),
also will have some chili and I guess make some bread sticks.
I will even have two little dough balls, for my daughter and niece so they can make their own pizza.

I'll have the big screen kickin' in HD so it should be a good time.

Go Seahawks!  :pizza:
-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Superbowl Pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 09:01:58 AM »
HD Rocks  ;D I find myself watching shows I never thought I would just because they are in HD.  The only problem ? ... the shows are so clear you can see the imperfections on the skin of our "perfect" actors in hollywood  :P

As for pizza, there are 2 thoughts on the subject.

Do you make a grande pizza for the occasion ? do you buy the best ingredients and load it up ?
or do you go the skimpy route and just do the basics and make lots of pizzas if you have a boatload
of your very HUNGRY buddies coming over ?  ;D

Hmm, a nice deep dish loaded with sauted onions, mushrooms, Canadain back bacon, and grilled chicken
on it.... man that would be good.

Then another one full of diced bacon, ham and pineapple ( haven't done one of those in a long time )

Decisions decisions !

What kind of fried pizza are you doing ? ... kind of a calzone, ( 1/2 moon ) fried ?

I used to make these, just roll out small circles, put in the ingredients, and fold over to a 1/2 moon,
crimp well and then into the oil. - just amazing and too easy.

You can also take little pieces of apple and cinnamon, and put that into the same dough, and fry that,
amazing also. Dice apples really small ( works better )

it's only 9 in the morning and I'm already hungry  :chef:
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 09:34:36 AM »

Hmm, a nice deep dish loaded with sauted onions, mushrooms, Canadain back bacon, and grilled chicken
on it.... man that would be good.

Then another one full of diced bacon, ham and pineapple ( haven't done one of those in a long time )

Decisions decisions !

What kind of fried pizza are you doing ? ... kind of a calzone, ( 1/2 moon ) fried ?

I used to make these, just roll out small circles, put in the ingredients, and fold over to a 1/2 moon,
crimp well and then into the oil. - just amazing and too easy.

You can also take little pieces of apple and cinnamon, and put that into the same dough, and fry that,
amazing also. Dice apples really small ( works better )

Those are definately good Toppings!! Actually I am going to have a lot of choices and have people  top pizzas.
It gets the pizza eaters into the pizza. I will do the dough and make sauce.
Then I'm going to get people to work and have fun making pizza.

For Fried pizza, it actually cooks in the oven, like a deep dish sicilian style pizza.

The only difference is you put 1/2 cup of peanute oil (must use peanute oil do to the flash point) in the pan with a dash of salt.
I have a few 7x11 pans
So I use a 7x11 pan, one of my 4 dough balls, sorry I don't have onces of dough yet.  I need to get a scale!

Then I stretch out the dough put it in the pan with the oil and let it set for 30 min.
I then indent the dough with my fingers, except for the edge. I put sauce, toppings and cheese.
Then put it in the oven to bake with the oil. The oven will fry it in the pan. Takes about 10 minutes to cook at max temp.

My wife and daughter like Fried pizza better than the regular NY style.

Now I also do the fried calzone, those are good too, but It's easier to do the fried in a pan pizza.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 09:47:36 AM by Perk »
-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 09:43:57 AM »
I am going to take another stab at making a 16-inch Lehmann NY style take-and-bake pizza. The last time I did this, I used a same-day, commercially-leavened, room-temperature fermented biga in order to get more flavor in the finished crust. This was following a recommendation from Tom Lehmann himself in an article he wrote a few years ago. I was very happy with the flavor of the crust but not with the texture of the finished crust. It was a bit too crispy.

This time, I am going to use a poolish (an equal amount of flour and water and a pinch of instant dry yeast), which I am allowing to ferment at room temperature for around 18 hours before incorporating it with the rest of the ingredients. I will then prepare a 16-inch skin just as I did last time and put it into the refrigerator (covered on a parchment paper/cardboard round) to cold-ferment for a couple of days. Sometime around game time, I will dress it, let it sit at room temperature for about an hour to simulate a trip from a take-and-bake place to my home, and then see if I can bake the pizza directly on the middle oven rack of my oven at the temperature and for the time normally recommended by the take-and-bake companies. I am making several changes to the basic Lehmann formulation this time to see if I can overcome the texture problem I experienced with my first try at a Lehmann take-and-bake, so I am anxious to see if the changes will improve upon my last results. I am especially anxious to see if the poolish improves the flavor profile of the finished crust. If I succeed, I will report on the results. Otherwise, it's back to the lab for further testing.

Peter

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 09:46:59 AM »
Hi Perk,

having people top their pizzas is fun, sounds like a good idea.   Do a search for my mini pizzas,
I posted some images of them about a month ago, - just use a big drinking glass and cut out some
circles and do that for your kids, or the BIG kids also - as little bite size pizzas ( 4-6 bites maybe )

you don't have to do a bunch of 'em but just slice off a bit of dough and try 4 of them for fun, they are
super fast to do and fun ! ( very fun ! )

I think maybe it was you that said they poured a large amound of oil into the deep dish pan and then fried the pizza in it ? ....  I read so many posts I get dizzy at times LOL and can't remember who wrote things.

anyway sounds like you will have some good fun there !

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 09:56:58 AM »
Peter, let us know how your Lehmann NY style take-and-bake pizza turns out. I read your post on it before.

Mark,

your link and a great idea! I will do that!
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2361.0.html
-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 02:13:41 PM »
yeah ill be making 100s of pizza's on the superbowl, too bad it will be at my work during the game.

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 07:08:14 PM »
Making pizza right now!  1 pan pizza (in cast iron) and one flat on a screen with a few breadsticks for fun!

Here in Detroit (went to see the craziness last night downtown - see pic of Ren Cen) all we've heard about was SBXL - So we're celebrating with some homemade pie!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 09:56:55 AM »
Because Perk requested it, I have shown below photos of my second attempt at trying to made a credible Lehmann NY style take-n-bake pizza, for consumption yesterday on SuperBowl Sunday.

For this pizza, I used a roughly 18-hour (overnight) room-temperature fermented poolish in lieu of the roughly 5-hour room-temperature fermented biga I had used the last time as had been recommended by Tom Lehmann as a way of getting better flavor out of a take-n-bake crust. Since the biga produced a very good tasting crust, I thought that the poolish, with its much longer fermentation time, would produce even better crust flavor.

Such turned out not to be the case. While the crust was flavorful, it was not nearly as good as the last one. Also, the crust was thinner and more cracker-like than the last one, which I also thought was too cracker like. The crust was also lighter in color and that color, along with the texture and flavor of the rim, was more reminiscent of a baguette than a pizza crust. Since using a poolish is common to baguettes, I may have unwittingly produced a baguette like crust for my pizza. I may experiment again with using a poolish for a Lehmann dough, but I am more inclined at this point to try to improve upon my last Lehmann take-n-bake formulation using a biga. A biga is actually easier to make in my opinion, so that may be a good thing. I also found the dough based on using a biga to be easier to handle than the one based on the poolish. That may have been inherent in the use of the poolish, or in the particular poolish formulation I used, but the resolution of that issue will have to await another day.

Peter

Offline ojuice

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 01:17:59 PM »
I didn't make a pizza, but I did buy a papa murphey's cheesey bread and my roommate got a pizza hut pan pizza with pepperoni.  :D
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS d s+: a-- C++++ UB+ P+ L+++ E--- W++
N+  Y+ PGP++ t+ 5-- X+++ tv+ b++ D+ e++ h+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 02:27:51 PM »
I'll have the big screen kickin' in HD so it should be a good time.

When I read "big screen" I was thinking 18". . . . that's BIG for a pizza screen.   Then I realized "HD" means "high definition" and not "High-gluten Dough." 

Pizza on the brain, I guess.  ::)

Sorry about your Seahawks.   :'( Truth be told, I was cheering for Pittsburgh because Penn Mac had sent me 7# of Grande and 6 cans of 6-in-1 overnight, and I was so happy with  Rose at Penn Mac, I promised I'd root for the Steelers.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 07:37:05 AM »
When I read "big screen" I was thinking 18". . . . that's BIG for a pizza screen.   Then I realized "HD" means "high definition" and not "High-gluten Dough." 

Pizza on the brain, I guess.  ::)

Sorry about your Seahawks.   :'( Truth be told, I was cheering for Pittsburgh because Penn Mac had sent me 7# of Grande and 6 cans of 6-in-1 overnight, and I was so happy with  Rose at Penn Mac, I promised I'd root for the Steelers.

I'm a Jaguar fan, so it didn't hurt too much.  ;) 
But yea, High Definition TV.  I love my High Definition almost as much as pizza!  ;D

I made 10 pizza's   5 fried, and 5 NY Style. Everyone seemed to enjoyed all of them but they freaked on the Fried pizza style.

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

pizzapan