Author Topic: Pizza in new stone oven  (Read 880 times)

Offline JanLundDK

Pizza in new stone oven
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:27:18 AM »
So yesterday we fired up the new stone oven for some pizza. The dough (60% hydration) had been cold fermented in the fridge for 3 days.

This was the second time we had it fired up. First time I just had to get to know the oven, and I didnt get the temperature up where I wanted it. Last night I did.

Offline dhorst

Re: Pizza in new stone oven
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 05:29:52 AM »
Looks like you're going to have a summer of fun!  Nice looking pies.  How have you cooked at once, so far?  I know that is one thing that can be challenging, is juggling multiple pies in the oven at once.  I know was a definite learning curve for me when I worked at WFO place.

Offline JanLundDK

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:08:11 AM »
Looks like you're going to have a summer of fun!  Nice looking pies.  How have you cooked at once, so far?  I know that is one thing that can be challenging, is juggling multiple pies in the oven at once.  I know was a definite learning curve for me when I worked at WFO place.

Thank you! So far, I have only cooked one at a time. When I get more comfortable with it, I will try 2 at once.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 06:25:58 AM »
What sort of bake time are you looking at?  I know that in my regular home ovens I'm generally around a 7 minute bake which is frustrating when you have a crowd of people.  Granted I can do two at once, because I have double wall ovens, both with stones, but still.  With a WFO, the temperatures you can go with can achieve such a quick bake time, that you don't have to go with many at once. 
I am in awe of the guys I've seen who can juggle 5 or 6 pies in a large WFO.  But they know their ovens well, hot spots, wood conditions, to dome or not to, etc.
Well, I am envious!

Offline JanLundDK

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 06:45:06 AM »
I would like to get down to about 90 seconds. Currently I'm looking at 2-3 minuttes, which is OK, since I'm used to 5-6 minuttes in my ceramic grill.

But it would be really interesting to do 2 at a time with 90 seconds bake time, I bet that would be a challenge for me right now :)

Offline dhorst

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 07:08:02 AM »
I would like to get down to about 90 seconds. Currently I'm looking at 2-3 minuttes, which is OK, since I'm used to 5-6 minuttes in my ceramic grill.

But it would be really interesting to do 2 at a time with 90 seconds bake time, I bet that would be a challenge for me right now :)

Well, hey, you're on your way!  2@ a time will definitely be doable, as long as you don't have distractions.  I think it's a matter of getting to know your oven, and where to place and when to turn each pie.

What kind of ceramic grill do you have?  Is it an egg or kamoda style?

Offline csafranek

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 07:16:24 AM »
looks great!  What kind of oven is that?  Any pictures of the entire oven you can post?

Offline dhorst

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »
Yeah, I'm curious as to what kind of oven that is, and would like to see the whole thing, if possible!

Offline JanLundDK

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 07:28:05 AM »
This is the oven:

Offline JanLundDK

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 07:30:45 AM »
What kind of ceramic grill do you have?  Is it an egg or kamoda style?

My grill is a Primo Oval XL. Love it :)