Author Topic: The Dough Generator  (Read 2119 times)

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
The Dough Generator
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:48:14 AM »
I decided to start a new thread on the dough generator for a couple of reasons. One, I think a lot of the discussion on the old thread has run it's course. The other reason is because the project is complete. Below is a list of the features...

* Recipes can be searched by style. Currently, New York, Neapolitan, Chicago, American and Sicilian/Detroit are represented. For now, I believe that Pete has compiled some of the popular recipes, as well as some "emergency" lists for these styles. So for now, these are the only ones represented.

* Recipes can be searched by the type of oven one has to work with. TXCraig1's thoughts that this might be important rang true to me. It has been added. Otherwise, some might try a Neo dough in a home oven and find it not appealing at all.

* Recipe listings for each style offer an "Emergency Dough" filter for those needed to have a pie ready for dinner.

* Every recipe states the type of oven that is needed.

* Recipes are in grams, ounces and bakers' %'s, along with totals

* A Built-in Dough Calculator does the math for 2 thru 25 doughballs at any size the user wants between 100 grams to 999 grams(not that 999 would ever be necessary!)

* Instructions are what has been copied and pasted directly from the forum post with the most pertinent information.

* Every recipe has a link to where (forum thread) it originated at so more info, insight and photos can be seen.

For now, I think it would be best to add all of Lehmann's recipes, along with all of Pete's compilations, from popular to emergency doughs. I love if I could get a few more volunteers to help out with populating the database with these. To put in a new recipe is really easy. If the ingredients are not already listed, you can add them in just a few seconds. After that, this is what you see when you add a new recipe...

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:11:53 AM by f.montoya »

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
Re: The Dough Generator
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »
And there are two "Emergency" recipes that I have already added...

Pizza Shark's Authentic New York Style:
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=7

and...

Emergency Version of Lehmann NY Style:
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=6

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »
can't wait to try this out! looks like I'll need a few minutes to figure how it works

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
How does one enter a recipe?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »
Anyone who would like to help, just message me and I'll get you a username and password for the back end to enter recipes. It's easy...

1. Click the Add/Edit Ingredients link and make sure the ingredients for the recipe are listed. If not, simply add them.
2. Click Add New Recipe.
3. From the selector dropdowns, select the Style and all the necessary ingredients
4. Enter Bakers' percents for all of the ingredients (this may need to be calculated if the recipe states cups and teaspoons, etc.). Bakers' percents are necessary for the calculator to produce grams and ounces.
5. Copy and paste the most pertinent information directly from the source and into the text box for "Instructions".
6. Copy and paste the forum thread link into the thread link field.
7. Save.

Of course, I would appreciate as much help as I can get to enter recipes, but in any case, I plan to add more and more recipes this weekend. Again, if you have some free time on your hands and would like to lend your assistance, message me and I'll send you a login for the Admin Control Panel to do the above.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 01:39:15 PM »
Happy Father's Day to all you pizza-making Dads. 

I added three new recipes to the Dough Generator database:

DKM Cracker Style
DKM Chicago Deep Dish
Detroit Style (BDogg recipe)

Fidel, the Cracker style doesn't seem to fit into any of the main categories. I listed it under "American" but I think maybe we need another category for "Other" or possibly a "Thin Crust" category.  Maybe both! 

I listed the Detroit style under "Chicago" style, which will no doubt incense all people from Detroit. Detroit is a style that doesn't quite fit deep dish but it doesn't fit any of the  other established categories. It is kind of a pan pizza I guess.  Maybe it can go in the "Other" category if you decide to add that. 

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
I'll add add a couple more categories. Just need a photo image for each for the index page.

Can you give me a link to, or post a photo that would best represent "Detroit" style? I am unfamiliar with that style.  :-[

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 09:05:44 PM »
This is fantastic. It could really take the information on this site and make it more accessible. There's nothing worse than having to sort through several 73-page threads to figure out what the conclusion of the matter was.  This kind of thing might be great to put on the main landing page.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 02:59:11 AM »
I'll add add a couple more categories. Just need a photo image for each for the index page.

Can you give me a link to, or post a photo that would best represent "Detroit" style? I am unfamiliar with that style.  :-[

Nevermind. I found one that I think does it justice.

For now, I only added Detroit Style. Anything else can just go into American. If there are any outcries later on, it can be changed. I'd like to keep things tidy and these 6 styles should be close to everything, imho. :)

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 09:41:16 AM »
I was thinking that it might be helpful to add the capability of choosing more than one type of oven for baking a pizza dough recipe. For instance, you may want to bake New York dough in either a standard home oven or in a modified grill. As far as I can tell at present you have to choose only one type of oven, whereas for some recipes, they could be made in several different types of ovens. 

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »
I was thinking that it might be helpful to add the capability of choosing more than one type of oven for baking a pizza dough recipe. For instance, you may want to bake New York dough in either a standard home oven or in a modified grill. As far as I can tell at present you have to choose only one type of oven, whereas for some recipes, they could be made in several different types of ovens.

Probably in the interest of preserving some organization, as well as traditional values of a style, I am of the mind right now not to make any changes because the recommended oven is what is recommended. If a user wants to make a Neapolitan pizza in anything other than a wood fired oven, then there are temperature hurdles that will need to be cleared. Many have done so on modified Webbers, and from what Chau tells me, a Big Gree Egg is also an option. I think the recommended oven needs to remain just that, and for anything Neapolitan, it should be WFO. There will be visitors who will try the right dough in the wrong oven, sure. However, I think we don't want to go too far detailed with secondary ovens that might do the job. With regard to specifically NY Style, if the recipe creator used a standard home oven, then that's what should be recommended, even if there were some modifications. Maybe the best consideration should be "optimum temperature", and then select the best recommended oven. I don't know, what do you think?

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »
Looks like it is coming along very well, Nice work!!!
Here is one that should go in Chicago style http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.msg171274.html#msg171274

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »
I see your point.  Probably better not to "cross over" too much. 

Also, I guess there could come a point when people will suffer from "recipe overload", e.g., what if they see a list of 50 different New York style recipes, each only differing slightly in their ingredients and methods.  So that seems to argue for a bit of curation as far as what we put in. Sort of a "greatest hits" of pizzamaking.com if you will. 

If anyone has any thoughts on what would be an indispensible recipe for the dough generator, please feel free to weigh in.  Here is what has been added so far:

Apizza Scholls Style Dough    
Chicago Deep Dish Pizza    
Detroit Style Pizza Dough    
DKM Thin Crust (Cracker Style)
Emergency Version of Lehmann NY Style    
Pizza Raquel (Peter Taylor)    
Pizza Shark's Authentic New York Style    
Pizza Sophia    
Rustic Ciabbata Pizza    
TXCraig's Neapolitan Pizza Dough    

EDIT: Garvey's Pizza Inn Recipe added/

Regards,

TinRoof
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:54:54 AM by tinroofrusted »

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »
I know its minor, but the words "dough generator" in the top left are a link and I think it should take you back to the home page.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »
I know its minor, but the words "dough generator" in the top left are a link and I think it should take you back to the home page.

I was thinking the same thing, but I do assume that at some point the interface on Fidel's website will go away and the dough generator will be incorporated into Pizzamaking.com.  Still in the meantime that logo image should probably have a link to the home page, if it's convenient for Fidel to fix, which it probably is.  He's quite the PHP/database wizard. 

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »
I left that link open but meant to link it back to the dough generator's main page. Just slipped my mind. Will fix soon. Just another reason that more eyes are better.  ;D

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 10:02:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's an error with  Pizza Shark's formulation. I don't think it ever had 70% hydration
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
I added recipes for Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone and Glutenboy's Long Fermented New York Style.

Fidel, what would you think of a "see all" button that would show all of the recipes in a single list?   

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 10:30:19 PM »
I added recipes for Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone and Glutenboy's Long Fermented New York Style.

Fidel, what would you think of a "see all" button that would show all of the recipes in a single list?

Sure. I can add that. How should it be sorted? By style? Alphabetically?

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 10:38:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's an error with  Pizza Shark's formulation. I don't think it ever had 70% hydration
You're right. I had to calculate by converting cups into grams and seems there was an error.

5 cups of flour = 625 grams
1 3/4 cups water = 413 grams

Should be 66%. And fixed.  :)