Author Topic: The Dough Generator  (Read 2591 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: The Dough Generator
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
Sure. I can add that. How should it be sorted? By style? Alphabetically?

My vote would be alphabetically since they are already sorted by style.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 11:00:52 PM »
My vote would be alphabetically since they are already sorted by style.

I'll do this.

The addition should be available in the next couple of hours. :)

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 12:21:32 AM »
I'll do this.

The addition should be available in the next couple of hours. :)

Done.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »
Sure. I can add that. How should it be sorted? By style? Alphabetically?

Alphabetically I guess. Just so we can see them all under one heading.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 02:28:50 AM »
Alphabetically I guess. Just so we can see them all under one heading.

I put it right below "Wood Fired Ovens" on the left side menu. It shows 10 recipes per page and there is a "NEXT/LAST" link at the bottom to help navigate through the other pages. Only two pages at the moment, but as more are added, it will say "FIRST/NEXT/PREVIOUS/LAST" depending on how deep in the list.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 11:54:30 AM »
Thanks for adding the "All Recipes" menu. I think that will be useful. 

Can you have a look at the percentage fields for Oils/Shortenings and Sugar. They seem to allow only whole numbers, whereas we would want them to go to two decimals. 

We're coming along! 

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:40 PM »

Can you have a look at the percentage fields for Oils/Shortenings and Sugar. They seem to allow only whole numbers, whereas we would want them to go to two decimals. 

We're coming along!

Two decimals? No problem! Should be done within the next couple of hours. :)

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 09:34:11 PM »
I wonder if there should be some sort of voting system and/or a way to bookmark favorite recipes.  It might help to sort through the clutter as the database grows.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 12:45:09 AM »
I wonder if there should be some sort of voting system and/or a way to bookmark favorite recipes.  It might help to sort through the clutter as the database grows.

I think a voting system, and really "votes", would be subject to individual taste. I think I would rather leave things neutral. I mean, what if one NY recipe gets more votes than another  NY recipe. They could be slightly different sub-styles and the votes wouldn't really tell us anything. In addition, I would hate for this to become a "vote-getting" contest.

As for bookmarking, one can easily do this via any web browser. If I were to add such a feature, then users would have to sign up and login to use it. This, in my opinion, would discourage signing up here on the forums because people generally don't like signing up, much less at multiple places on the same website. Just my observation and opinion.

As for clutter, from my perspective there should be no clutter. The database can be searched based on style and then emergency recipes for that style. The By-oven way to search works the same way. I don't have a count, right now, of how many recipes will eventually be in the database, but it really will not be too many. Popular ones, emergency ones(both as already compiled by Pete) for the most part, after that, some others might find their way in too...but not every single recipe on these boards. :)

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 12:53:15 AM »
Montoya I agree with you that voting wouldn't work. But the purpose of the generator is for newer members and have 10 different NY styles for new members would seem super confusing. I don't know how, but maybe it would make sense to have a "start here" recipe or something. I mean one recipe having 62% hydration and an autolyse while another has 60% and no autolyse makes effectively no difference to a new member.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 12:53:41 AM »

Can you have a look at the percentage fields for Oils/Shortenings and Sugar. They seem to allow only whole numbers, whereas we would want them to go to two decimals...

Fixed. :)

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 01:10:08 AM »
Montoya I agree with you that voting wouldn't work. But the purpose of the generator is for newer members and have 10 different NY styles for new members would seem super confusing. I don't know how, but maybe it would make sense to have a "start here" recipe or something. I mean one recipe having 62% hydration and an autolyse while another has 60% and no autolyse makes effectively no difference to a new member.

I think, the purpose of the generator goes further than that. Here is how I see it...

1. To help a new visitor quickly locate a list of recipes for a particular style. If anything is over their head, they'll continue searching or join the forums to get clarification.
2. To encourage forum registration and participation. See above.
3. Provide existing members an organized recipe index so we can find anything, anytime.
4. Reduce repetitive questions like "Hey, anyone know where I can find a good NY style recipe?"

With that in mind, I want to be careful with "ranking" or "suggesting" recipes to anyone. First of all, I am not qualified to make such suggestions because I simply don't know that much about most styles of pizza. However, if someone does feel qualified to make these suggestions, and I get them for all styles, perhaps we can place a certain recipe at the very top of every search results page.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 07:58:49 AM »
Big thanks to tinroofrusted! He's done way more than I have as far as recipe entering. Also, thanks Chicago Bob, for your extra eyes and recommendations. I have been on sort of a mini vacation for the past week but now getting back into the swing of things. I have some guests from Tokyo and Osaka coming for Neapolitan Pizza on the 6th of July, so that is something I will prepare for shortly. Other than that, I intend to start adding more recipes from Pete's lists. If anyone else would like to lend a hand, drop me a private message! :)

Offline derricktung

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
Sorry, been MIA!  Between the pizza business, the job, presenting healthcare research in Baltimore, and wood shrapnel coming through our windows due to a lightning strike, I haven't had much time to do anything much less read/participate on the forums and help with the dough generator.  I'll try to find some time this Sunday to check out all the awesome work you guys have done.

It really looks great so far, Fidel!  Wish I could've helped more!

Offline McCoy

• Pizza & Beer Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
This sounds like an absolutely incredible project. Major kudos and I look forward to checking it out when I have a chance.
Finding my way in homebrewing and pizza making: http://pizzabeerblog.wordpress.com/

Offline derricktung

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 12:12:26 PM »
Fidel,

I finally got around to checking out how to add recipes to the tool.  Can you add a 2nd flour choice?  While I know it isn't extremely popular, a few recipes utilized multiple types of flour (dellavecchia's emergency neapolitan, our Za Pi recipe) for different reasons.

Thought it would be a nice feature if it doesn't make things too difficult.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 08:46:05 PM »
Fidel,

I finally got around to checking out how to add recipes to the tool.  Can you add a 2nd flour choice?  While I know it isn't extremely popular, a few recipes utilized multiple types of flour (dellavecchia's emergency neapolitan, our Za Pi recipe) for different reasons.

Thought it would be a nice feature if it doesn't make things too difficult.

If two flours are needed in a recipe, just add both as one new "ingredient" under flour with a ratio, i.e. "30/70 Caputo 00 and San Felice 00". Then, this will be available in the dropdown for flour when adding a new recipe. :)