Thought I would begin sharing my journey with my Primavera 70...
A few months ago my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday. Half-jokingly, I sent her the link to the Primavera 70 with stand. She quickly replied with something along the lines of "keep dreaming." A few weeks later, she wrapped a pizza box with a note in it saying we were going to pick my oven up when we returned from vacation (we live 2 1/2 hours from FB). I have an awesome wife...
I found a discussion about getting pizza tools from John. We traded PMs. He answered all my questions. I ordered a set of tools.
Neighbor's cousin owns an almond orchard. Negotiated a deal. Had a 1/2 cord of dry almond wood delivered that weekend.
While we were away, FB e-mailed her and said there was a delay in our oven being ready so we wouldn't be able to pick it up on the scheduled day, but it would be ready 3 days later. I took the day off from work on the new scheduled day, eager to go get it. As I was pulling in to the local u-haul to pick up a trailer for hauling the oven, my wife called me and told me to not go, as FB dropped my oven while crating it. It cracked. Obviously, I was a little frustrated. They told her they would have another oven ready in 3 days we could have. My wife and I decided to explore having the oven delivered. The lady my wife dealt with at FB was awesome and immediately suggested she speak with her manager about covering the costs of delivery since there had been multiple delays. The manager agreed and FB had the oven delivered a week later.
Using an engine hoist, beer, and lots of cussing, we got the oven installed on our patio after two days of trying to figure out how to maneuver it. We let it sit for a painful week. Like a newborn baby, I checked on it hourly, as if someone was going to walk in my yard and walk out with a 700lb pizza oven it took me two days to move.
While waiting the week, I got a hold of a couple different propane burners. I found a post from a while back about using the burner for the first few days of curing. Swapped out an empty propane tank with a fresh one. I was ready to begin curing...
Day 1, I dialed the flame down very low. I was shooting for 300 degrees in the dome above the flame (per the instructions). Once I had it set, I let it go for 14 hours. Again, I had to check it almost hourly because I am somewhat obsessed. After 14 hours, I took the burner out, closed the door, and let it sit for about 18 hours.
Day 2, I set the burner back up and adjusted for 350 degrees in the dome. Once set, I let it go for 18 hours (mainly due to work schedule). At the 18 hour point, I again removed the burner, closed the door, and left it for 18 hours or so.
Day 3, I opted for using wood (couldn't resist). Found out how hard it is to light a fire with a specific temperature as a goal. Finally got the dome to hit 400 degrees. Let the fire burn out, closed the door, let it cool.
Day 4, same as above but 450 degrees.
Day 5, same as above but 500 degrees.
According to the instructions, my oven was now ready to use. I no-longer had an excuse for why we couldn't make pizzas in it...
Unfortunately, life did not allow me a whole lot of time over the last week to figure out what dough recipe I would use for those first pizzas. So, yesterday, we found ourselves ready to make pizzas with no homemade dough ready to go. We were going to have to commit a sin with our first pizzas by using Trader Joe's dough! We used their dough, canned plum tomatoes (run through a food processor since my friend hates chunky sauce), fresh mozzarella, and a few vine ripened tomatoes. We used basil from our garden, pepperoni from another store, and pesto sauce from Costco.
I will continue the experience in the next post (with photos).