Author Topic: Caputo source in CT/NJ/RI or distributor listing  (Read 1977 times)

Offline kwtrading

Caputo source in CT/NJ/RI or distributor listing
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:51:58 PM »
I'm in CT and am looking for a distributor that would be willing to sell me a 50 lb bag of Caputo cash and carry.  I'm also in northern New Jersey and Rhode Island a lot for work and could get to a place there as well.

Does anyone know of a place to buy it in this area or if not, is there a Caputo distributor list online anywhere so that I could call around?

Thanks!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Caputo source in CT/NJ/RI or distributor listing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 03:49:52 PM »
Napoli foods in Cheshire

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »
Wow that's great - they are 5 minutes from my office!
Can I just show up there with cash do you think or call ahead and ask first?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 04:18:56 PM »
I haven't bought anything from them for  4 or 5 years (they were in waterbury then) but you could just show up.  If you call ahead they might be able to have it waiting for you.   In the old building they didn't have a showroom or retail store, it was just a warehouse  so you need to know what you want.  I don't know if you saw it but their catalog is online. 

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
Hmmm...I just pulled up their product list and Caputo is not listed under their flours.    ???
See attached screen shot.  Maybe they no longer carry?  I can try calling them tomorrow but it doesn't look like they do.  Interesting that they have four 'Napoli' branded pizza flours though which could be interesting to try.  Personally I have always used King Arthur Sir Lancelot and have always been very happy but am curious to see what the Caputo fuss is about.  I tried Hummers HG once which was ok but didn't swing me from KA.   

I haven't bought anything from them for  4 or 5 years (they were in waterbury then) but you could just show up.  If you call ahead they might be able to have it waiting for you.   In the old building they didn't have a showroom or retail store, it was just a warehouse  so you need to know what you want.  I don't know if you saw it but their catalog is online.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »

I'm not sure how you are looking but when I put flour into the search box there are two (short) pages of flour listed, it is on the first page.   

120305   Baking Supplies   Flour   D   Caputo Pizza Flour "00" 55lb

I'm not sure what you are using to bake but KASL and Caputo have very different uses.  Caputo is usually used for high heat neapolitan.

Another place  to buy flour (they did not have Caputo on their product list).  They do not appear to have a website and I can't find the product listing they gave me.  I would call ahead for this place, I didn't get a very friendly look when I walked in but they do cash & carry only.   I bought 50 lbs of Spring King here.

A Fiorillo
396 Clark Street
Milldale, CT 06467

t

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
E&S foods in Whipanny NJ. Just  3 min off rt 287  Sell caputo like $33 bucks a bag friday is cash and carry day  or I can sell you a bag  when you are in the area I am in Northern Bergen County
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:34:44 PM »
Well I'll be darned.  When you do search it does come up that way!  I just pulled up the pdf of their product and it's not listed under flours on that list.  I'll try to stop there tomorrow.
Yes - I've been to Fiorillo - interesting place kind of stuck in time about 40 years ago.  After my first purchase though they were very nice.  Years back they actually carried Sir Lancelot in 50 lb bags for only $30 (gasp).  That stuff costs $7 plus shipping for 3 lb bags from KA otherwise so it was great while it lasted.  They eventually stopped carrying it a few years back and when I stopped in for some and they didn't have it I tried the Hummer's at that time.  I never found another source for KASL in 50 lb bags since then but honestly my consumption dropped for a while so I've been getting by on loading up twice a year ordering direct from KA.

I used to use a 550 degree home oven but now have a Blodgett pizza oven at my house which is why I'm interested in trying the Caputo.

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
E&S foods in Whipanny NJ. Just  3 min off rt 287  Sell caputo like $33 bucks a bag friday is cash and carry day  or I can sell you a bag  when you are in the area I am in Northern Bergen County
John

Thanks for the info and the offer John!  If my local source doesn't work out I'll be all over that for sure.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
Napoli used to sell the KASL but I don't see it on the list now.  I think I paid just under $20 for 50 lbs the last time I bought it there but it was at least 4 years ago.   I always figured I could give 1/2 away and it would still be cheaper than ordering it online. 

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 08:49:43 PM »

Yes - I've been to Fiorillo - interesting place kind of stuck in time about 40 years ago.  After my first purchase though they were very nice. 

that office is interesting,  I felt like I was going back before my time, did you have to sign your name in the sign in book?

I may have hit at a bad time, they were nice when I had originally called to see if they did cash and carry.

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 09:49:13 PM »
A fellow brick oven owner said that he had recently made arrangements to buy a 50 lb.bag of Caputo

from Vendi on Federal Hill in Providence.

Bakerbill

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Went to Napoli in Chesire, CT today.  Very easy and friendly people to deal with. 
There's no concern about whether or not they do cash and carry there - there is a door and a showroom just for cash and carry there!
Cash and carry hours are until 4:30 weekdays and saturday morning.

50 lb Caputo was $36. 
He didn't have singles for change so it was only $35.

The young guy working the counter was like "people love this stuff but it's SO expensive!"  LOL
Their Napoli branded pizza flours are about $20 for 50 lb.

Anyway - good experience for anyone looking for Caputo central CT.

Chris

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 05:54:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Went to Napoli in Chesire, CT today.  Very easy and friendly people to deal with. 
There's no concern about whether or not they do cash and carry there - there is a door and a showroom just for cash and carry there!
Cash and carry hours are until 4:30 weekdays and saturday morning.

50 lb Caputo was $36. 
He didn't have singles for change so it was only $35.

The young guy working the counter was like "people love this stuff but it's SO expensive!"  LOL
Their Napoli branded pizza flours are about $20 for 50 lb.

Anyway - good experience for anyone looking for Caputo central CT.

Chris

is there anything in the showroom? 

I waited about 10 minutes once for them to find an employee with a $5 bill for change, I almost warned you  to bring a variety of bills but figured they might have changed

good to know about Saturday, I don't thin k they used to be open then when I used to get stuff from them

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »
Just some various bags of pizza flour and some refrigerated cases with cheeses,etc.  Not much but it is welcoming compared to the usual where you think they may ask you for your tax ID # at any given moment.

Offline nh pie

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 12:17:17 AM »
Has anyone tried any of the Napoli branded flours? They look interesting but there dosen't seem to be much information available.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 11:38:03 AM »
just went to Napoli foods in Cheshire and they are out of Caputo and the salesperson said he doesn't think they are going to restock  :(    I asked about the GM Neapolitan and he didn't know about it but was going to look into it.

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »
just went to Napoli foods in Cheshire and they are out of Caputo and the salesperson said he doesn't think they are going to restock  :(    I asked about the GM Neapolitan and he didn't know about it but was going to look into it.

Just read this for the first time.  Ugh that is ashame!  I've been making some really nice pies with my Caputo since getting it. 

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »
Just read this for the first time.  Ugh that is ashame!  I've been making some really nice pies with my Caputo since getting it.

the General Mills CT sales rep said that Napoli would be carrying the GM Neapolitan flour and he expects it to be available at the end of the month. Also a place in Wallingford

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 08:09:33 PM »
Brickovenbaker.com lists caputo pizzeria for 42$/55lb. They are located in CT....not sure if thy have a pickup option, but I have ordered caputo repaks of 12lb several times.
Sure, I pay extra for shipping, & ordering smaller quantities,  but so what? It's not that much.
I under pay for plenty of stuff, I don't worry about paying a little extra for flour for home use.

-clay

pizzapan