Author Topic: wood storage  (Read 1066 times)

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
wood storage
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:59:14 PM »
I'm getting ready to buy a face cord of seasoned hard wood and I'm wondering how everyone stores their wood, esp in areas that rain frequently. My first though was to store in the garage...but I don't need the rodents etc.  I've been eyeing these plans over at popular mechanics:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/data/FirewoodShedPlans.pdf

I don't think I need a structure that large but it's a good study and mine may be modeled closely after. Before I get going on it, I thought it best to see what others are doing/liking.

Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: wood storage
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »
I built something similar in shape, but much simpler in design, and it works very well. The plans you posted seem like overkill. I don't know why you would need decking and siding like that. Mine sits next to my garage partly under the overhang of the garage roof. On mine, the logs rest on two upright 2x4's that run the length of the shed and are braced on the ends and in the center. The uprights are 2x4. The roof is a plywood deck on (3) 1x4's attached to 2x4's attached to the uprights and topped with asphalt shingles. I think I used PT lumber for everything except the roof. It's 16' x 6' overall.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
She ain't the prettiest, but you can't see it from any place in my yard.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline derricktung

• Za Pi - Creating Neapolitan Style Pizza, One Dough at a Time
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »
Currently I only buy half a face cord of wood (not much more expensive relative to a full facecord) and store it in the trailer. 

If I didn't have the trailer, I'd likely store it in the garage, or build something similar to what Craig has... or just get a few 2x4s, set the logs up, and throw a cover over them.

You can go really basic as well like this:  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200444837_200444837?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Logging-_-Logging%20Accessories-_-179063&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=179063&gclid=CNnDp76W2rcCFUJlMgodtTsAkQ and just get a tarp to protect from rain.
Check out our new venture - Za Pi - www.za314.com

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
I built something similar in shape, but much simpler in design, and it works very well. The plans you posted seem like overkill. I don't know why you would need decking and siding like that. Mine sits next to my garage partly under the overhang of the garage roof. On mine, the logs rest on two upright 2x4's that run the length of the shed and are braced on the ends and in the center. The uprights are 2x4. The roof is a plywood deck on (3) 1x4's attached to 2x4's attached to the uprights and topped with asphalt shingles. I think I used PT lumber for everything except the roof. It's 16' x 6' overall.

Nice, Craig. This looks pretty close to what I have in my head. I'm going to use mine as a "wall" separating my garbage can / compost area from the rest of the back yard. You're right the PM plans are pretty complex for a woodshed. I look to them as an over-all guide on form. Seems like the decking could restrict air flow which I gather is good for stored wood.

Do you pull directly from your pile when you fire your oven or do you set some aside for a few days in preparation? I'm concerned about wet wood in the oven but don't know how wet is wet or does wet=green and if the seasoned firewood gets a little damp, no big deal...

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »
Currently I only buy half a face cord of wood (not much more expensive relative to a full facecord) and store it in the trailer. 

If I didn't have the trailer, I'd likely store it in the garage, or build something similar to what Craig has... or just get a few 2x4s, set the logs up, and throw a cover over them.

You can go really basic as well like this:  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200444837_200444837?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Logging-_-Logging%20Accessories-_-179063&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=179063&gclid=CNnDp76W2rcCFUJlMgodtTsAkQ and just get a tarp to protect from rain.

I need a trailer...one day I'm sure.  It was my understanding that tarping a wood pile is a bad idea, encouraging rot etc. and the key to a happy wood pile is air circulation. I'm just now getting familiar with wood storage. I grew up in the southwest where it only rains in february and keeping a wood pile on the back patio uncovered was no big deal weather wise.

Offline landras

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »
so craig how long it takes to get oven ready? yesterday evening I got close to half cord from a friend that just moved to a new place and had all this wood on the back, but I do not have any idea how long have been sitting there, i remember my grand father used the noise 2 logs make when you hit them to each other to check if the wood was ready.....

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:55:31 PM »
Finished my woodshed roof a couple weekends ago when the weather gods let us come up for air. We're back below zero but it didn't keep me from snapping a photo.

Offline derricktung

• Za Pi - Creating Neapolitan Style Pizza, One Dough at a Time
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
That wood shed is beautiful!  How much for you to come build one for me?  ;)
Check out our new venture - Za Pi - www.za314.com

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 11:02:06 PM »
Thanks Derrick! If spring comes this year I'll be happy to.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 05:06:19 AM »
What a great wood shed. Did you use plans or did you design it yourself?

John

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 09:57:55 PM »
Thanks John! I did design it myself,  I used the popscience plans for inspiration but mine is smaller—and taller I think. It serves as a divider between the garbage and compost area and the rest of the yard, it holds 2/3 of a cord and the storage are is pretty close to square.  It sits on bricks, is roofed with cedar shingles and I used  2x4s on the frame and (4) lengthwise for floor (2 for each stack), fence boards on the sides and at 45° on the back for rigidity and firing strips along the rafters. All in all I think it cost me about $140 in wood and seems pretty sturdy.

One thing I didn't foresee was the play in the wood stack itself. Makes me semi concerned as I have 2 boys under 4yrs old, I think I'll add one more horizontal piece of wood or maybe wood at 45° in the corners ( matching the back) to keep the pile from collapsing on my kids or their friends.

I'd love to get some feedback on that idea.