Author Topic: Pizza tastes better reheated  (Read 1820 times)

Offline caymus

Pizza tastes better reheated
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »
I like the taste of my reheated pizza better than just baked.  Is this common? The are baked on a steel plate, the screen in the photo is used to move the baked pizza.  Maybe the flavors meld with aging?

Thanks

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza tastes better reheated
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »
I think it depends on the pizza. How do you reheat?
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline pt

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:06:11 PM »
On occasion I have experienced this, but for me it has always been on lower oven temperature pizza I made.  I am sure that pizza taste good either way.

Mal

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 06:08:29 PM »
I was going to start a thread on the exact same thing the other day.  Yes I agree that in at least some instances pizza tastes better reheated.  ^^^

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 06:42:08 PM »
I think it depends on the pizza.

I agree with Don. When I was playing around with clones of Papa Gino's pizzas, which tend to have a somewhat underbaked crust quality, I found that reheating them produced slices that I found as good as if not better than the initially baked slices. I even went so far as to suggest (at Reply 92 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8167.msg71635.html#msg71635) that it might be worth making an extra pizza just for slices. I was referring to using the slices the day following the bake, or even later.

Reheating a pizza after it has been baked but before cutting into slices can also be a good idea if a crispy crust is desired. I remember that that was a suggestion made by quidoPizza (John), who had spent many years working in pizzerias in the Metro NYC area. I went back and searched his posts and found the following: Reply 11 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1359.msg12978.html#msg12978. That post has always stuck in my mind as a way of crisping up a pizza before slicing.

Peter

Offline caymus

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 06:52:56 PM »
I think it depends on the pizza. How do you reheat?

I reheat at various temps 325 to 425 in a Breville toaster oven.  I usually use a small baking pan lined with foil to make cleaning easier.  I'm also thinking that the (twice baked) pepperoni grease may add to the flavor

Thanks

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »
I know it sounds weird, but my favorite way to reheat pizza is in a frying pan with some olive oil. Do it until the bottom gets crispy and some of the cheese melts over the edge and burns. Yum!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:59:06 PM »
I know it sounds weird, but my favorite way to reheat pizza is in a frying pan with some olive oil. Do it until the bottom gets crispy and some of the cheese melts over the edge and burns. Yum!
That's not weird at all...it's become very popular over the past year I would say. That is how I eat the pizza from my local NY style joint. I order it UN CUT and make my own reheated slices with it over the next few days...add a 'lil extra cheese and fry it up in that big 'ol cast iron pan.  :drool:

I think cold pizza is great. The tomato pieces on a DD pie seem to really stand out nice and sweet the next morning (or middle of night ;)) on room temp slices too.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:00:53 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 06:16:53 AM »
I saw how to reheat a slice of pizza on YouTube this morning posted by Pizza a Casa Pizza School.  It is called 'Avoid the Pizza Reaper!'

Best Pizza Reheat Method & Avoid the Pizza Reaper!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »
Cool video Norma. 8) I couldn't agree more with what they said about the other reheating methods.

I discovered reheating in a skillet by accident. When I was redoing our kitchen, we went a couple of weeks with no oven. After a big church event, I ended up bringing home a bunch of leftover pizza. We had ate some of it cold but I was craving something hot. I really don't like pizza reheated in the microwave. I had just finished installing the cooktop so I figured I'd give it a try. It was the best reheated pizza that I had ever had!

Depending on what kind of crust your pizza has, you may want to add a little oil to the skillet.

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
Very interesting skillet idea.  Do you get enough cheese melt-age with no lid? 

Do we have any other fans of cold pizza here?  I don't eat leftovers cold all the time, and a thick/Sicilian slice is only enjoyed when reheated, but a thin NY slice is just fine with cold, congealed pepperoni grease on top.  :-D

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
Very interesting skillet idea.  Do you get enough cheese melt-age with no lid? 

I have done it with and without a lid. If it's cold right out of the refrigerator then you'll definitely need a lid or the bottom will burn before the cheese melts. If it's at room temperature you can get away with no lid unless its thick crust.

Do we have any other fans of cold pizza here?  I don't eat leftovers cold all the time, and a thick/Sicilian slice is only enjoyed when reheated, but a thin NY slice is just fine with cold, congealed pepperoni grease on top.  :-D

Mmmm congealed pepperoni greese. :drool:  I like cold pizza if I'm in the mood. Other times I'd rather have it reheated. Sometimes I eat it cold out of laziness.

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 10:39:14 PM »
My thoughts have always been, cold pizza is an awesome breakfast food.  Any Pizza good cold is really good warm. 

Offline MikeH

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 02:20:19 AM »
whether reheating pizza or cooking frozen food I use the microwave first then a quick grill or pan fry to crisp..  it works better and faster than any single method.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
I have a convection toaster oven. I put the cold pizza into the cold toaster oven set to 300F with convection, and it about 4-5 minutes, the pizza is perfect. I will give that stovetop pan method a try though. 

Offline redox

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »
I just drop the slices on a non-stick baking sheet and pop it in a 300 oven till the cheese melts. Perfect.
There may be a niche market for day-old pizza restaurants. There would be a 20% up-charge for the aged pizza.

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
Redox, haha.  I can just imagine the pizza cellars with pies hanging from racks.  They would describe the taste as "funky", and then everyone would buy it.  The price hike would be justified due to "moisture loss", whereby the flavor is concentrated.

Offline redox

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »
Redox, haha.  I can just imagine the pizza cellars with pies hanging from racks.  They would describe the taste as "funky", and then everyone would buy it.  The price hike would be justified due to "moisture loss", whereby the flavor is concentrated.
We could bring wine tasting jargon to the pizza world.
"Its a mature, sassy pizza with a fine body and good legs, but a  trifle thick in the ankles."  ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 06:52:30 PM »
Man hands.... :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan