Author Topic: Is there a good way to freeze partial 28 oz cans of tomatoes?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Is there a good way to freeze partial 28 oz cans of tomatoes?
« on: February 03, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »
I'm getting a case of 6-in-1 tomatoes, and I anticipate that with each pizza session, I'll need to use less than an entire can.  That means I'll have to save the rest.  If it's a long time between pizza sessions, I'll have to freeze it.  Is there a good way to do this?

I have noticed that when I have frozen pizza SAUCE (crushed tomatoes with seasoning added), that upon thawing the sauce "separates" and gets watery, with globs of tomato swimming in juice (there's a technical cooking name for this; can't think of it right now).  I don't think this happens with straight crushed tomatoes, though.

What do you recommend?  Open the can, use what you need, and freeze the rest?  I would use a plastic container for this purpose.

Thanks,

- Fio
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Is there a good way to freeze partial 28 oz cans of tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 06:21:25 PM »
yeah i do wonder that too.  i had about a third of a can spoil and that's only because i made other non-pizza stuff.

Offline luke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 10:21:57 PM »
I mentioned this "trick" in another thread a couple of weeks ago...

When I want to freeze my sauce, I use a couple of ice cube trays.  Once the sauce has frozen in the trays, I dump the sauce cubes into a (air tight) freezer bag for long term storage.  This lets me thaw only the amount of sauce that I'm going to use immdietly, and not waste any sauce.  With the size of ice cube trays I am using, I use 4 "sauce cubes" for a ~14" pizza :)

The sauce does tend to separate after thawing, but a little stir makes it re-integrate.  I don't notice any difference between the thawed sauce and sauce fresh out of the can.

--Luke

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 06:34:41 PM »
ah i see, you freeze the sauce, not the unworked individual tomatoes of can.

i'll look into that...

next time i crack open a 28 oz can i'll pulse the whole can's worth to a sauce and do my usual spices and garlic slices, then i'll freeze all the leftover.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 03:30:19 PM »
I have found 2 way to ruin a good sauce; overheating and freezing.

My experience with freezing these sauces:

When using plastic containers: (permanant or disposable types)
continers must be nearly full
  • the sauce swells as it freezes and needs a bit of room at the top.
  •              If the sauce dosen't have enough room to swell, the lids tend to pop off or the container develops cracks
                      and it will become freezer burnt.

• containers should be filled full enough to leave as little air possible between the lid and sauce

• Sometimes containers crack when removing from freezer to defrost. I've had them crack just from the temperature of my hands.
  • Use tight fitting lids and thicker stonger plastic containers.

• plastic wrap MAY help but tends not to cling at freezing temperatures. pressN seal might work better. I haven't tried this in the freezer yet but it makes a big difference in the refigerator.[/
    li]

Is never as fresh tasting as when you first open the can.
I believe you can freeze for sauce for 2-3 months when packaged properly. The longer they are stored the more separation and deeping of the bright red. Product can also become meally when frozen too long.
Extend refrigerator storage with lower temperatures. The lowest you can set it before things start to frost.

It's actually pretty easy to use up the rest of the sauce without wearing out your taste buds.
Add a splash of marsala wine for an elegant chicken marsala
Add cream for a cream based sauce
Add some good basalmic vinegatte and vegetable flakes for a refreshing tomato salad dressing
Add various sm canned chili's (try fire-roasted) and fresh onion for the perfect salsa fresca.
Add cooked Italian sausage and make a lasagna to freeze for another night.
Add canned kidney, pinto or pink beans and canned chili's with browned ground beef in a crock pot to simmer  on low overnight. Then have cornbread and chili.
Add canned pineapple chunks fresh slices of red bell pepper a splash of soy sauce and vinegar for sweet-n-sour chicken or pork over rice.
Have some baked stuft chicken breast fillets filled with your favoirte pizza cheese and fresh tasting tomato sauce.

I hope this helps.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.