Author Topic: maximizing AP flour ability in a higher protein flour recipe?  (Read 206 times)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
any tips or tricks? my sams club card expired and i don't have anyone with access to bread flour or HG flour (at a price worth it), what can i do besides extra mixing, and more diligent stretch/folds with a slightly lower (50-55%) hydration to duplicate more of a NY style crust?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: maximizing AP flour ability in a higher protein flour recipe?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
Jon,

Several years ago, I played around with using all-purpose flour supplemented with vital wheat gluten and dried dairy whey to make a NY style pizza. I described my results at Reply 205 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=576.msg15669#msg15669 .

These days, I would use the expanded dough calculating tool and the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator to format things better and more precisely than I was able do years ago, before those toos existed.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 10:07:19 PM »
any tips or tricks? my sams club card expired and i don't have anyone with access to bread flour or HG flour (at a price worth it), what can i do besides extra mixing, and more diligent stretch/folds with a slightly lower (50-55%) hydration to duplicate more of a NY style crust?

Check with a local bakery and see if they'll get you a bag of HG. You may have to get 50 pounds but it stores well in 1gallon ziplocks in a cool, dark shelf in the  basement,  a year plus easy

Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:36:22 AM »
Check with a local bakery and see if they'll get you a bag of HG. You may have to get 50 pounds but it stores well in 1gallon ziplocks in a cool, dark shelf in the  basement,  a year plus easy

Jon

oh, no. not the direction i meant. i have access to what i want to use, but IF you are stuck only with AP and no VWG (pete), and i've probably bought a thousand pounds of HG flour from assorted places for my own use over 5 years.

i want to give AP the best shot i can give it. i may be able to supplement with 1-2% of ground oatmeal (adds a ton of ny 'chew') to the flour, but i'm trying to use small town ingredients.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

pizzapan