Author Topic: How to hold multiple skins?  (Read 104 times)

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
How to hold multiple skins?
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:12:17 AM »
I am going to bake at least 4 pies in my new oven. I normally bake one pie but I will be baking smaller size pies and for more people. My question is if I open all 4dough balls before baking, how do I hold the skins?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: How to hold multiple skins?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:59:01 AM »
Mark;
Rather than opening all four skins at the same time, why not just open them as you need them? As one pizza is baking you could be opening the next skin and beginning to dress it, providing you can bake multiple pizzas back to back in your oven, if you need to allow for some recovery time just don't open another skin until you're ready to bake. You won't see as big of a difference this way as you would if you opened all four at the same time and let them set and proof while the other pizzas are being baked.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
Thanks Tom, I anticipate a quick bake of approx 90 seconds and I think the pie will need my attention while baking . I suppose opening the skin one at a time will not add that much time and all will be fed in short order.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »
Mark;
With such a short bake time I would open two skins at a time; open, dress and bake two skins, then repeat. The other thing you can do is to fully open the first two skins for immediate dressing and baking but only partially open the other two skins, say to about 3/4 of the desired diameter, then all you will need to do is to quickly finish opening the other two for a quick repeat performance. The last working of the dough to bring the last two pieces out to full diameter will do a lot toward evening out any changes that might have occurred as a result of the dough sitting out proofing for the additional time.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

pizzapan