Author Topic: Guess what? Pizza.....  (Read 4712 times)

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Guess what? Pizza.....
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
Here's a couple from this evening. One pepperoni and one crispy duck with hoisin sauce.

Caputo dough, 65% HR, using Jeff Varasano's recipe with 9% sourdough starter and a cold ferment. I thin I prefer Craig's room temp ferment process as these didn't have nearly as much loft after 2 days. Pretty much to be expected though! This dough was pretty fragile though. I think a slightly lower hydration (62-63%) would be better. I also think that higher quantities of starter make the dough more fragile, although I have no empirical evidence to support this....

I have a couple of dough balls left so we'll see how they are tomorrow.

I was trying to get a slightly less inflated cornice today, but went a bit too far I think. Still. The pies tasted great.

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »
Here's a few from the weekend. We decided to have pizza at the last moment, so the dough is a semi-emergency one. 9% Ischia culture, 63% hydration, Caputo 00 flour and 2.5% salt. Overnight at room temp, then balled at lunchtime for cooking that evening. Not as developed as I'd like although good and east to work.

#1 is a straight salami pie. Napoli plus also a few slices of Chorizo after that ran out
#2 is spanish Iberico ham hand carved from a leg of the stuff we have in the kitchen. Looks bad, tasted great. Very salty though.
#3 is Pastrami, sauerkraut, pickles and jalapeños. I loved this. Next time I think I'll maybe try a white sauce instead of tomato

There was also a crispy pulled duck with green onions, hoisin sauce, arugula and parmesan pie. That didn't survive long enough for photos though as it's the kid's favourite.

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »
Some more from today.... I went for a little different approach and tried a quasi NY style today. Used a Peter Reinhardt "NY Training" dough with a 24+ hour ferment rather than the usual Ischia, Caputo approach.

So..F:1005; W:58%; S: 1.75%; IDY: 0.3125%, Oil: 2%

First off, this dough way way easier to work. Much less fragile than the Neo doughs I have been playing with. It was easy to spin it off the back of my hands without any rips or tears. Much less sticky too. Hardly surprising given the higher gluten flour, and lower hydration.

I also backed off the temperature in my oven and went for around 650F with a 4 minute bake.

All in all, it worked OK. The crust definitely wasn't as tasty due to IDY versus Ischia and a quicker ferment .

Oh - and the cheese. I went to multiple stores within a 10 mile radius and could not find anybody selling dry, brick mozz. Can't buy it here - although you can pretty much buy brine packed DOP Buffalo Mozz everywhere. Pretty strange. I could have bought pre shredded mozz, but all of it had added potato starch as an anti caking agent and I didn't want to go there. So I ended up with a mix of freshly shredded cheddar and jarlsberg. It wasn't right, but it did taste pretty good.

All pies are about 13" as that is biggest that fits on my peel and in my oven....

First one is pure Napoli salami.

Second is crispy duck and hoisin sauce (this one used buffalo mozz)

Third is jalapeños and speck

All in all, they were pretty good. The duck one was the best by far - this is really my signature pie in the eyes of my children. The kids all said that they preferred the cheese taste on the previous Neo types that I have been working on (i.e. DOP buffalo mozz, the fussy little b'stards...)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 04:22:35 AM »
Awesome looking pies there adm.

For the crispy duck and hoisin sauce pie- how was the duck meat prepared?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 05:02:18 AM »
Thanks Johnny!

For the duck, I buy duck confit - so it's basically duck portions that have been slow cooked in duck fat for a few hours then vacuum packed. I don't know if you can get similar where you are but confit is pretty easy to make if not - and keeps for months and months.

Anyway. A portion of duck confit would normally be cooked for 25 minutes or so in a hot oven so the fat renders out and it goes beautifully crispy. For pizza, I just give it 20 mins in a slightly lower oven so it's not quite done. Then leave it to cool and shred the meat and crispy skin with a couple of forks.

The for the pizza, I use hoisin sauce instead of tomato sauce, buffalo mozz, shredded duck meats and sliced spring onions. It's also pretty good topped with a little arugula and shaved parmesan once it comes out of the oven.

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »
I snuck in a quick pie for lunch today! Left over dough ball from Saturday, fiore de latte, extra spicy schiachiatta salami, jalapeño and red onion.

This ended up as a kind of NewYorkiPolitan pie - NY style dough with Neo style cheese and a shortish bake. Boy, it was good and tasty though!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »
I could easily snack on one or two of those pies.  :D

Duck confit- gotcha. I will definitely have to try that on a pie,  maybe a pizzarium style pie. Thanks for sharing how you build your duck and hoisin pizza.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »
A couple more from the weekend. More NewYorkipolitans. Reinhardt NY style dough (63% HR, HG Pizza flour, 1.75% salt, 2% Oil, 0.3125% IDY, 48 hours cold ferment), very, very fresh Buffalo Mozz DOP, San Marzanos sauce with a little EVOO, S&P, Oregano, fresh garlic and some Aleppo chilli)

One thing I have found with this dough is that it has a definite "memory"....if it doesn't come clean out of my dough containers (which are about 4" wide plastic lidded pots), it keeps the shape that it came out in! You can see this on two of the three below. No matter how much you try and bring it back into line. It might be time for me to move to dough trays so I no longer have this problem. I could also try oiling the pots more, but I don't want to add too much oil really.

Anyway....

The first pie was with a fantastic artisanal Tuscan pepperoni that I hand sliced. Finally got the slices to curl into little cups like I want them. Shame about the shape, but the taste was great.
Next up was a pseudo Buffalo Chicken pie - Brianna's Blue Cheese Dressing as sauce, chicken breast, Mozz, spring onions and Sriracha (as I was all out of Franks hot sauce)
Finally, the obligatory crispy duck pizza - very misshapen this week. Kids' won't even consider a pizza night without the duck pie these days....

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 05:57:47 AM »
As to shape, I kind of like pies that aren't perfect circles. All three look great! Sooner or later I'm going to have to try those last 2 pies.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
And a couple more from one of my kids' birthday pizza parties last weekend. i haven't posted any for a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been baking.

Nearly done on my bag of Bella Pizza Flour. So I sense a bag of Caputo Blue in my future and some more attempts at Neo.

Anyway....these were 63% HR, 2.5% Salt, 1.5% Ischia starter and 2% oil. 2 days room temp (12C) fermentation - 240 hours in bulk, 24 hours balled.

Fiore de Latte, San Marzano based sauce (with garlic, S&P, oregano, Aleppo chilli and EVOO).

The first one is chorizo (as I couldn't find any good pepperoni), the second is crispy duck with Hoisin sauce and scallions (before the addition of arrugula and parmesan shavings). There were quite a few more, but I was busy cooking, drinking and eating and didn't take pics!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:45:59 PM by adm »

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »
Just a couple of pies from last night. My wife had some of her work colleagues round for pizza, so I made 8 pies. The ones below are the last two - one is half pepperoni, half mushroom and the other is "Insane Pepperoni Overload" - which was my reward to myself.

I also made a white potato pie - but didn't take any pics - which was really good! Brianna's blue cheese dressing as sauce, buffalo mozz, sliced pre cooked new potatoes and rosemary. Voted as favourite by the schoolteachers.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »
Just a couple of pies from last night. My wife had some of her work colleagues round for pizza, so I made 8 pies. The ones below are the last two - one is half pepperoni, half mushroom and the other is "Insane Pepperoni Overload" - which was my reward to myself.

I also made a white potato pie - but didn't take any pics - which was really good! Brianna's blue cheese dressing as sauce, buffalo mozz, sliced pre cooked new potatoes and rosemary. Voted as favourite by the schoolteachers.

Those are some sexy pies. I mean that in the best gastronomical sense, of course.  :D
Il miglior fabbro

Offline waynesize

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 12:59:38 PM »
I would love some of the "Overload" pizza! Right up my alley! Looks great.

Wayne

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 02:23:54 PM »
I would love some of the "Overload" pizza! Right up my alley! Looks great.

Wayne
^^^ :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2014, 06:43:52 AM »
I made a bunch of pies last night.....but didn't do much in the way of photography!

I had run out of pizza flour, so used a strong Manitoba bread flour and upped the HR to 65%. The dough came out a bit stickier than normal but was perfectly workable. 2 days room temp fermentation a la Craig with Ischia. Crust wasn't as good as with a lower protein flour - came out a bit denser.

Anyway - the only pic is half of a white pie with potato. Creme fraiche for the base sauce, buffalo mozz, parboiled salad potatoes sliced, chives. This was good, but I think would be improved with some crumbles of strong blue cheese, and probably some rosemary instead of the chives.

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 04:17:41 PM »
I opened a new bag of Caputo blue today after finally finishing of the other flour I was using.

Craig's dough process - although as the pies were originally planned for yesterday, the balls got cooled down to 12C and held for an extra 24 hours, but seemed to come out good anyway.

The Caputo and/or the process made a good difference. Here's a few from this evening.

First how the dough balls looked after about 72 hours, then a pepperoni, then a crispy duck, finally green chilli, gorgonzola and parma ham.

All good, but the first pie out of the oven (the pepperoni) was the star. The crust was awesome.

Offline Montyzumo

• I'm here for Pizza
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »
I've just been reading through your thread. You have some fine looking pizzas. I'm currently shaking up my pizza world. There are a couple of things you may be able to help with. I'm also in the South East - I went to my local Italian supermarket, and they don't stock San Marzanos. Could you tell me who you use.

I'm also interested to know your views on the P134H now you have had some use out of it. Do you know a rough cost for one.
Thanks!

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »
 :) Thanks !

I get my Italian stuff mainly from www.nifeislife.co.uk (or maybe .com). San Marzano tomatoes are expensive though and I can't say I notice much difference between them and Tesco finest italian plum tomatoes.

As for the oven...now I have got it a bit more dialled in, I love it It was a tad under £350 delivered/

pizzapan