Author Topic: Can sauce be stored in mason jars?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
Can sauce be stored in mason jars?
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:05:40 PM »
I have access to the large cans of 6in1 from restaurant depot but I wont nearly use all of the sauce since I only make about 3-4 pies at a time. My question is will I be able to just take out the sauce I need and store the rest in mason jars and cap them tightly. Should I store them at room temp just in the pantry or in the refrigerator. Will storing this way harm the sauce in any way. I know I am able to freeze. But I rather do it this way if it's possible. Thanks

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Can sauce be stored in mason jars?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »
Cam;
If we are talking about just opening a #10 can of sauce or tomato product and pouring it into Mason jars, then capping and storing at room temperature I would say "NO WAY" as the probability of contamination is just too great. Now, if we are talking about sterilizing the jars and heating the sauce/tomato product to above 160F and then "canning" in an accepted manner, that's a whole different story and very doable.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline derricktung

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:07:54 PM »
Cam,

Actually, you may be able to just store it, and you probably don't need to can it either... at least where botulism is concerned. 

I'm currently using 7/11 tomato sauce, and the sanitarian confirmed that I don't need to refrigerate the sauce when serving due to the pH being lower than 4.6 (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Clostridium_botulinum/index.asp). 

I had to contact the company to request a spec sheet that showed their 7/11 sauce is canned to below 4.6 (their accepted range is 4.0-4.4) and the sanitarian was fine with us not keep our sauce cold.

When it comes to other types of contamination, however, there's still a potential likelihood (per Tom) depending on what contaminants you may have around when you pour it out into containers.

For the record, I keep any sauce out of the can in the fridge until the day of use, just to be safe.  Even if the sanitarian says we don't need to, it just makes me feel better.  ;)

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »
@Camaro10, you had a thread complaining about Classico tomatoes losing their flavor, and now you're talking about buying #10cans of 6 in 1's ! They're the same tomatoes as Classico's, both are grown in California and both are marketed by Heinz. If you didn't like Classico's, I can't believe you will like the 6 in 1's! ???
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »
Cam,

Actually, you may be able to just store it, and you probably don't need to can it either... at least where botulism is concerned. 

I'm currently using 7/11 tomato sauce, and the sanitarian confirmed that I don't need to refrigerate the sauce when serving due to the pH being lower than 4.6 (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Clostridium_botulinum/index.asp). 

I had to contact the company to request a spec sheet that showed their 7/11 sauce is canned to below 4.6 (their accepted range is 4.0-4.4) and the sanitarian was fine with us not keep our sauce cold.

When it comes to other types of contamination, however, there's still a potential likelihood (per Tom) depending on what contaminants you may have around when you pour it out into containers.

For the record, I keep any sauce out of the can in the fridge until the day of use, just to be safe.  Even if the sanitarian says we don't need to, it just makes me feel better.  ;)
Also, probably wouldn't hurt to sterilize your Mason jars and lids before doing the above.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »
@Camaro10, you had a thread complaining about Classico tomatoes losing their flavor, and now you're talking about buying #10cans of 6 in 1's ! They're the same tomatoes as Classico's, both are grown in California and both are marketed by Heinz. If you didn't like Classico's, I can't believe you will like the 6 in 1's! ???

I didn't say I didn't like, I said I couldn't be the flavor to stick, it was an error on my part.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »

I didn't say I didn't like, I said I couldn't be the flavor to stick, it was an error on my part.
I think you said the flavor faded after cooking; something like that. Anyway, tomatoes always change a bit once they are cooked. I used to have to order the 6 N 1's before Classico came along and have always like both...mucho.   BTW, 6 N 1's freeze just fine(to me).

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 07:33:22 PM »
Cam;
If we are talking about just opening a #10 can of sauce or tomato product and pouring it into Mason jars, then capping and storing at room temperature I would say "NO WAY" as the probability of contamination is just too great. Now, if we are talking about sterilizing the jars and heating the sauce/tomato product to above 160F and then "canning" in an accepted manner, that's a whole different story and very doable.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

+1    Marty

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 07:47:30 PM »
Cam,

Leaving it sit out in the can(rather than a container) must be the kiss of death because I recently accidentally left half a can of Classico's sit out down on the end of the counter(got hidden) for 2 days and that stuff was starting to cook.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
So this may be a dumb question but why can't store bought sauce in jars be opened and refrigerated? Is it bc they are loaded with preservatives?

Offline grathan

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
My store bought sauces last 2 weeks in the fridge, more or less depending on head space and times opened. I would expect a similar shelf life from a mason jar. If filled to the brim with very little air I would use it 2 months out in a quart size.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »
So this may be a dumb question but why can't store bought sauce in jars be opened and refrigerated? Is it bc they are loaded with preservatives?
What are you trying to say dude?  If a store bought jar that is loaded with preservatives....you do not realize that it can be refrigerated for weeks after opening?   You have been throwing the unused portion away that you don't use that same day?   ???

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »
Why can****

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »

So you meant to say "why can store bought sauce in jars be opened and refrigerated?"  instead of why can't correct?  You should check your post before hitting the "post" button.  That would save some confusion.  Store bought sauces last longer because they have preservatives in them.  Storing sauces in mason jars in the fridge is fine.  Works for me.  Like what others have said, fill it up to the top.  Freezing works too, but for 6 and 1's I like to keep it in the fridge. 

If you use the sauce for spaghetti or other things, you will use it up quicker. 
Chau

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »
From the Classico site FAQ's

How long can I keep this opened jar in my fridge?
Maximum 3-5 days as there are no preservatives in the sauce.

Marty

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 11:38:39 AM »
From the Classico site FAQ's

How long can I keep this opened jar in my fridge?
Maximum 3-5 days as there are no preservatives in the sauce.

Marty
The jars are for their pasta sauces...I would have thought those were loaded with preservers.  Any way, I open a can of puree and ground tomatoes add my spices and normally would keep this in plastic container for a week before even starting to use it(let flavors come together)  YMMV as they say... ::)

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 04:51:26 PM »
@Chicago Bob, please do a little experiment for me, take one of your week old mixtures of sauce and a freshly opened can of seasoned crushed tomatoes and taste them side by side. If the week old mixture doesn't taste more bitter than the fresh one, I'll eat the can! >:D the tin can!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »
@Chicago Bob, please do a little experiment for me, take one of your week old mixtures of sauce and a freshly opened can of seasoned crushed tomatoes and taste them side by side. If the week old mixture doesn't taste more bitter than the fresh one, I'll eat the can! >:D the tin can!
And why pray tell would they dare to be bitter....my tomatoes know who their daddy is man!!   >:D

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 06:08:05 PM »
the same challenge goes for frozen sauce