Author Topic: Can sauce be stored in mason jars?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Can sauce be stored in mason jars?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »
the same challenge goes for frozen sauce

Dave, I don't think there is a right or wrong here.  What constitutes the best sauce is subjective.   Believe it or not, there are likely members here that prefer to add lots of spices to their sauce, cook it, and then refrigerate it prior to using.  I don't think it makes it any more wrong or right than those that prefer an uncooked sauce with very little to no spices.

Chau

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »
Or even those heretics that do it differently every time they cook pizza.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 08:17:45 PM »
Dave, I don't think there is a right or wrong here.  What constitutes the best sauce is subjective.   Believe it or not, there are likely members here that prefer to add lots of spices to their sauce, cook it, and then refrigerate it prior to using.  I don't think it makes it any more wrong or right than those that prefer an uncooked sauce with very little to no spices.

Chau
The type/style of pizza one is making also comes in to play here. My local NY slice joint makes an awesome pie using a combination of canned tomato products and little if any spices. I'm sure the wonderful bright tomato flavor of that sauce is at it's peak the moment those cans are cracked open.

I make a pretty decent thin crust pizza sauce that is diluted puree based and a good amount of spices...that sauce seems to improve with age under refrigeration.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline gfgman

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 03:20:25 PM »
I usually don't freeze the finished sauce, as I make just enough for the pizza I'm making.  If there is any leftover, I will freeze it and add more to it later on.  I don't notice a difference in flavor. 
I do freeze the tomato by itself.  I use a jar, or whatever container I have available.I thaw in the fridge, take out what I need, and refreeze the rest.  When I'm out, I open a new can.  It works for me. 
I started doing that because the variation in flavor between cans.  If I didn't like the finished sauce, I was stuck with a whole container.  Now I just make small batches based on what the tomatoes taste like at the time, and don't wreck whole cans.   

pizzapan