Author Topic: Do you lose your passion if you do what you love?  (Read 988 times)

Offline csafranek

Do you lose your passion if you do what you love?
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
Question for all the shop and business owners. Do you lose your passion if you turn your passion into a career?

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: Do you lose your passion if you do what you love?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 10:28:20 PM »
Question for all the shop and business owners. Do you lose your passion if you turn your passion into a career?

It's an interesting question....you can be a master mechanic, but that doesn't mean you will be a successful business owner.  And the same goes for any passion you can think of....you can be passionate about pizza, but to make a business run successfully, 95% of your energy goes to everything else..payroll, insurance, menus, customers etc.  So, I think you have to be passionate about business, not just pizza.  There's a reason most businesses fail in the first 5 years.  Having said all that, after working 39 years in high volume restaurants, I love the time I spend by myself working with recipes and trying them out.

John

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:20:03 PM »
At one time I competed in wild life photography, a member of Santa Rosa photographic Society. I spent all my free time outdoors taking pics of wild life. I had several friends who after a time thought that they were good enough to go pro. They opened a business and from that day took pics of graduations, weddings etc and never had time to go into the field.

A hobby is a passion, a business is a business. Rare is the one who can love every minute of the business as he/she had passion for the hobby.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:45:37 PM »
It's an interesting question....you can be a master mechanic, but that doesn't mean you will be a successful business owner.  And the same goes for any passion you can think of....you can be passionate about pizza, but to make a business run successfully, 95% of your energy goes to everything else..payroll, insurance, menus, customers etc.  So, I think you have to be passionate about business, not just pizza.  There's a reason most businesses fail in the first 5 years.  Having said all that, after working 39 years in high volume restaurants, I love the time I spend by myself working with recipes and trying them out.

John
Dat's right.... 8)

the who- a legal matter
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »

skitz,

I never lost my passion for making pizzas, experimenting with pizzas, or even learning about different styles of pizzas, but after four years in my small market pizza business I don't think I would ever want to go full-time in a bigger pizza adventure.  There is a lot of work behind the scenes of a even a one day a week pizza business.  Maybe I am too old to really answer this question though, but at one time I thought I might want to grow larger. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »
skitz,

I never lost my passion for making pizzas, experimenting with pizzas, or even learning about different styles of pizzas, but after four years in my small market pizza business I don't think I would ever want to go full-time in a bigger pizza adventure.  There is a lot of work behind the scenes of a even a one day a week pizza business.  Maybe I am too old to really answer this question though, but at one time I thought I might want to grow larger. 

Norma

Norma:  I can relate.  Our business is 5 days a week but my title is school teacher.  I played music for 25  years full time.  I never lost my passion for music but I lost my passion for the stuff around it that was necessary for me to perform worldwide.   My job now and having music as a hobby as I type has taught me to learn the balance.  I am passionate about working with the disabled and my job pays enough for me to live comfortabley without worrying about turning a big profit.   Music is in the same boat.  I am free to create in my recording studio 24/7 with no pressures to satify anyone but myself. 

Most pizzerias I go to are a wham jam speed thing that are hell bent on competition with the other speed freak shops. I will be opening my own old school slow style pizzeria when I retire in 9 years (or sooner if the schools decide my program is not ok anymore).  I will not really need the money to survive and this is the key to keeping it fun.   If it works for me great and if not I will move on.  I will hire a couple of developmentally delayed adults and my wife.  That will be it.  I figure to work from about 9am-3pm, 4 days a week, with about 30-40 pies a day max.   They will be one size NY stlye and a hybrid sicilian/deep dish I have developed.  A few toppings and that is it.  I will be doing it more for the cause of hiring the disabled and my love of pizza than making money.  If I really wanted to make money I would go after something that is not so close to my heart but I am not of the making money persona.  We have learned to live very basic, have no kids, and this affords Judy and I the freedom to explore life in a different way than those on the money trail.   Anyway, that is my 2 cents of wisdom from following my passions full time up to this point in life. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 08:48:45 AM »
Norma:  I can relate.  Our business is 5 days a week but my title is school teacher.  I played music for 25  years full time.  I never lost my passion for music but I lost my passion for the stuff around it that was necessary for me to perform worldwide.   My job now and having music as a hobby as I type has taught me to learn the balance.  I am passionate about working with the disabled and my job pays enough for me to live comfortabley without worrying about turning a big profit.   Music is in the same boat.  I am free to create in my recording studio 24/7 with no pressures to satify anyone but myself. 

Most pizzerias I go to are a wham jam speed thing that are hell bent on competition with the other speed freak shops. I will be opening my own old school slow style pizzeria when I retire in 9 years (or sooner if the schools decide my program is not ok anymore).  I will not really need the money to survive and this is the key to keeping it fun.   If it works for me great and if not I will move on.  I will hire a couple of developmentally delayed adults and my wife.  That will be it.  I figure to work from about 9am-3pm, 4 days a week, with about 30-40 pies a day max.   They will be one size NY stlye and a hybrid sicilian/deep dish I have developed.  A few toppings and that is it.  I will be doing it more for the cause of hiring the disabled and my love of pizza than making money.  If I really wanted to make money I would go after something that is not so close to my heart but I am not of the making money persona.  We have learned to live very basic, have no kids, and this affords Judy and I the freedom to explore life in a different way than those on the money trail.   Anyway, that is my 2 cents of wisdom from following my passions full time up to this point in life.

Walter,

I can also relate.  I think what you posted make a lot of sense.  I do know your different passions and hobbies.  Although I am not rich and never will be, I enjoy what I am doing.  I really like your approach of hiring people that might not have a chance to succeed elsewhere.  I also don't think the money trail is everything.  Happiness can be found in many places.

When my late husband and I had our caramel popcorn business that also got to be a drag sometimes in all the work it took.  There almost were no holidays we could take off expect for Christmas and Thanksgiving.  There are joys in any business, but some people don't see the downside of what makes different businesses tick.

Norma

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »
When I had graduated college with a Graphic Arts degree I found that there was NO work to be had anywhere (or atleast not paying more than McDonalds), so I had a job offer (I took the police test my senior year of high school) and became a cop.  After 5 years on the job I new I wanted to do something with my degree so I opened up a Photography & Design business (part time).  I enjoyed photography since I was a kid and had kept it as a hobby all along so i figured why not.  Long story short, retired as a flatfoot after 20 years, went into business fulltime, made good money until the economy went sour, and in 2010 closed the doors after 24 years.  No regrets at all; loved every aspect of it except the accounting.  Now I sell smoked meats and sausages three day a week and that is enough for me.  As for expansion, I would love to get a mobile WFO to accompany the smoked meat part of business but I don't want to add any more days to the work schedule.  In the long run we will see if the "cook" side of me wins out or the "lazy - I want the time off " side does.
tom

Offline csafranek

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »
When I had graduated college with a Graphic Arts degree I found that there was NO work to be had anywhere (or atleast not paying more than McDonalds), so I had a job offer (I took the police test my senior year of high school) and became a cop.  After 5 years on the job I new I wanted to do something with my degree so I opened up a Photography & Design business (part time).  I enjoyed photography since I was a kid and had kept it as a hobby all along so i figured why not.  Long story short, retired as a flatfoot after 20 years, went into business fulltime, made good money until the economy went sour, and in 2010 closed the doors after 24 years.  No regrets at all; loved every aspect of it except the accounting.  Now I sell smoked meats and sausages three day a week and that is enough for me.  As for expansion, I would love to get a mobile WFO to accompany the smoked meat part of business but I don't want to add any more days to the work schedule.  In the long run we will see if the "cook" side of me wins out or the "lazy - I want the time off " side does.
tom

I am currently a police officer as well. I have been doing it for 14 years now! I would love to go after a dream, but I am worried my passion might fade if I do it full time.

Chad

Offline derricktung

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »
Interesting responses... I'm actually at a point where I just opened the "business" side of making pizzas, and it's definitely incredibly busy and time consuming, even for the easy 5 hours of service we do once a week...

I was looking at this as a first step towards something bigger, potentially a restaurant, but we'll see how this first year treats the business as well as my own time/perspective to see if we'll be moving forward in the future.

From my limited perspective so far (two markets), I can say that Norma is dead on... there's a LOT of time that goes into prep, getting things ready, even though we're only selling for 5 hours of one day.  Picking up ingredients, prepping in the commissary, loading/unloading for the day of market, tracking sales, overall accounting, reporting taxes, etc.  Even though we only sell for five hours a week, I'm probably putting in another 15 hours a week to all the background work that needs to be done.

At this point, my time is sucked dry between my day job (healthcare consultant) and the side gig... if I was doing it myself with no partners, I'm not sure I could even pull it off....  I constantly keep in mind, however, that part of the reason this is so difficult time wise is because I'm essentially working the market as a side gig, and so if this would ever go full time, I'd probably earn a good chunk of time back without my full time job... but the money is too good at my full time job, and our little pizza business isn't at a tipping point where we have enough followers to open a restaurant yet.

Luckily for me, starting a business is part of the enjoyment/drive... I love to make great pizzas and sharing them with people, and I love the business aspect of things in terms of tracking, accounting, establishing benchmarks to go after, figuring out process improvements to make us more efficient, etc.

Like I said, we'll see how I feel at the end of the season (mid-Nov) and whether the passion is still there.  But for now, I'm still lovin' it!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:13:46 AM by derricktung »

Offline csafranek

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 09:15:49 AM »
That's great to hear you are still loving it Derrick. I know you haven't been doing it long, but still
great!

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 09:20:16 AM »

I am currently a police officer as well. I have been doing it for 14 years now! I would love to go after a dream, but I am worried my passion might fade if I do it full time.

Chad

I always look at things like getting into a swimming pool.  Jump right in; once the shock wears off it becomes enjoyable; and if not, you can get right out.
plus, part time gives you a feel of the "shallow end" so as not to drown by going "deep" first.
tom

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »
Norma:  We should open a joint venture someday!  Derrick it will get easier as time goes on.  I worked many years in bakeries and pizzerias as an employee.  I came in and I did the job. No books, planning, ordering, etc.   This was my first year being the head guy and it was rough on that level but things are running about 90% to perfect now.  IMO the key is to figure out ones comfort level and if that is ok go for it.   Our culture tends to teach us more, more, more, and more, money.........   Walter

Offline derricktung

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging words of advice!

I really do think that part of the stress is just the time crunch.  (Leave house at 6 AM, get home at 5:30 PM, go to get ingredients, prep in kitchen, get everything set, communicate on social media, get workouts in, cook for wife, mow the lawn, chores/errands, etc.)

It's definitely a challenge juggling everything...and we don't even have kids yet!

If this takes off the way I'd like it to, I think timewise it will get better... we'll just have to see where it goes! 

I keep telling my wife, worst case scenario, we stop the pizza business, and I have a portable WFO at home to make great pies for friends and family!   :)   :pizza:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 12:30:58 PM »

Norma:  We should open a joint venture someday! 

Walter

Walter,

I am getting far too old to think about opening another venture, but with you it sure would be fun.  ;D

I just wanted to make a few more comments.

I did work full-time and part-time when my husband and I first started to try to expand our other business.  I really had to think it over if I wanted to quit my full-time job with great benefits, when our second market stand started becoming successful. (full-time job-401 k, health benefits, great life insurance and 5 weeks of paid vacation, major holidays off with pay, etc. to actually help my husband expand the business that we eventually did grow.  I still don't know if I made the right decision, but I think if I had kept my full-time job there would be no need for me to work anymore.  Although I really do enjoy what I am doing now and don't know what I would do with myself if I was not working, if someone has a great full-time job it makes it harder to decide what to do.  These are just my opinions.  You still need to have health insurance, life insurance, liability insurance, and so forth when even running a very small business. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 01:27:21 PM »
And now a days health insurance premiums can be crushing....even with a full-time job where employer contributes. And it doesn't appear to be getting any better. Employers are trading in their top-shelf(expensive for them)policies in exchange for crap coverage; lower cost products, yet the employee still continues to contribute the same amount out of their paychecks. It sucks man!  ???
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
I have a 25 year business that grew out of a hobby and a passion.
The trick is to determine what your passion is and if your business will allow it to continue.

If you love stretching doughs and manning the oven, and you wind up as the bookkeeper , purchasing agent and personnel director, you may not be  a happy camper.

perry
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:28:18 PM by pizzaboyfan »