Author Topic: flour storage?  (Read 842 times)

Offline rlslmshdy

• I Love Pizza!
flour storage?
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »
I usually buy 5 lb. bags of flour.  What is the best method of storing the flour?

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: flour storage?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:41:44 PM »
I usually buy 5 lb. bags of flour.  What is the best method of storing the flour?

Use it fast.  LOL.  Sealed Tupperware or 5 gallon bucket if you buy a huge bag.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »
Use it fast.  LOL.  Sealed Tupperware or 5 gallon bucket if you buy a huge bag.

I agree!
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »
The one gallon Tupperware or clone holds 5# and works great. I'm sure some people here use the 55 Gal. size.
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline elementswhiteplains

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:14:06 AM »
I don't buy bags of flour. Just bought enough for my cooking so not much help for you.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
I've got a chest freezer in my basement where I store my bags of flour in. Under these conditions the flour will easily last a full year and more. To use the cold flour I weigh out what I need and allow it to warm up for about an hour before I begin making my dough. If I plan on making dough early in the morning I will weigh out the flour the night before, cover the bowl with a sheet of plastic and allow it to warm overnight then use it as needed on the following day. I've tried keeping it in a sealed container at room temperature but I've encountered problems with flour beetles too many times. Yes, flour suppliers will tell you that their flour can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to a year and that is true IF the flour is not compromised between the time it is milled/packaged and you buy it from the store shelf. There was a reason why Grandma used to sift all of her flour before using it. I just find the freezer approach more appetizing than the sifting approach, but that's just me.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 12:37:17 PM »
I often buy 50#bags which I split with another member. We like to repackage in gallon size ziploc bags, they hold close to 5 lbs. each, and you can freeze them, refrigerate them, ot store them as you will. I've yet to have a problem with any of my flour so packaged.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline dhorst

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »
I often buy 50#bags which I split with another member. We like to repackage in gallon size ziploc bags, they hold close to 5 lbs. each, and you can freeze them, refrigerate them, ot store them as you will. I've yet to have a problem with any of my flour so packaged.

Ditto.  DMC, I hope you're not cheating on me!  ;)

pizzapan