Author Topic: It's been a while.  (Read 1635 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
It's been a while.
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:08:24 PM »
Bake from Sunday. It's Brain Spangler's dough formula with very slight modification.

These are my notes:

Dough Formulation (in bakers %)
   Flour: 100%
   Water: 61%-64%
   Salt: 2%
   Yeast: 0.04783%
   Oil: 1.5%

Notes: Sunday; June 9, 2013 (6/8/2013)
Flour used was General Mills Better for Bread.
Only had 18g of sea salt so I had to use regular table salt to compensate for the rest.
I started poolish last night at 6:50pm. It was proofing in my MB cooler at 73F for 12 hours.
Started mix at around 7:45am (6/9/2013). I mixed everything by hand. I added all the water and yeast to the bowl first so the yeast had an even distribution throughout the water. Then I added a little bit of flour at a time till I got a runny pancake batter. At that time I added in the salt and oil. When all the salt and oil was thoroughly mixed in I added in all of the poolish. Once all of the poolish was incorporated into the dough I started to add flour little by little. Once a ball started to form I added the rest of the flour all at once and started the kneading. I finished kneading at around 8:15am.
Now I let the dough rest for 30 minutes. The first S&F was at 8:50am, the second S&F at 9:23am, the third S&F at 9:57am and the fourth S&F at 10:49am. I let the dough rest after the last S&F for about an hour before balling.
Made dough balls at 12:10 PM. Then put into MB cooler at 73 for about 7 hours. Made five 480g dough balls and one 319 ball.

Started baking at around 6:50pm. Baking temp was around 660F-670F and took about 4-4:35 minutes to bake.

The dough balls rose very little if any at all but it was very supple, the dough opened with ease. The flavor was mild from the poolish even though the poolish passed the float test and had a very strong smell. Next time I think Im going to add 0.1g of yeast more to the final dough and see if that helps with the final proofing. The reason I want to do that is because even though I left a decent size end crumb when opening the dough ball; they didnt puff up as much as I would have liked when baked.

1: Cheese w/ basil.
2: BBQ Chicken w/ caramelized red onions.
3: Vermont 5 Knives Sweet & Spicy Sausage with roasted Crimini, Baby Shiitake and Chanterelle mushrooms.
4: Spicy Sopressata with Triple Cream Brie and Mozzarella.
5: Ezzo Pepperoni

Offline TXCraig1

Re: It's been a while.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:18:09 PM »
Those look awesome, especially the cheese pie.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:23:40 PM »
Thanks Craig. I was going to make a pie in your honor but forgot to get the fresh mozzarella. Next time though, hopefully you'll approve of the combo.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:30:03 PM »
David,

You did a spectacular job. I think that even Brian would be impressed.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:35:27 PM »
Beautiful work David.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »
Excellent pies.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:59:03 PM »
Mouth-watering!! But that is an understatement!!  :drool:

Offline sfspanky

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 02:09:07 AM »
Toooo busy these days to post on this site, but I am honored to have inspired others to make pizza. To see my name included in another member's home experiments is the greatest honor I can have. I love the pictures of the pizza, BrickStoneOven,  and the passion behind it. You made my day.
!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:26:05 AM by sfspanky »
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 06:30:43 AM »
very nice!

Online Chaze215

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 06:42:31 AM »
Pies look great BSO! What size pies are these, 16" or so? Can you tell me more about your oven heat up and maintenance? Looks like you hit the sweet spot temp for this type of pie!  ;D
Chaz

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
Thanks guys. It feels great making pizza again after not having done it at home for almost 2 year :-[.

Toooo busy these days to post on this site, but I am honored to have inspired others to make pizza. To see my name included in another member's home experiments is the greatest honor I can have. I love the pictures of the pizza, BrickStoneOven,  and the passion behind it. You made my day!
Wow, thank you Brain for the praise. Coming from you that means a lot. Without your openness in that thread a little while back none of us would be able to replicate your amazing dough.

Pies look great BSO! What size pies are these, 16" or so? Can you tell me more about your oven heat up and maintenance? Looks like you hit the sweet spot temp for this type of pie!  ;D
The pizza's were 17" 480g dough balls. I'm really glad I caught Bakeshack's post where he up'd the dough ball size other wise I think they may have been a little bit to small from what I originally planned. The heat up was a breeze honestly because the wood was really seasoned, 3+years; so it caught and kept a flame pretty well. The fire was started in the middle for about an hour, then moved to the right side for about another 2 hours till it got to temp, then I spread the coals along the entire oven wall in a U-shape and left it like that for another hour till it dropped down to temp and evened out. I kind of over fired it to 850ish but the temp dropped down within an hour or so because there wasn't that big of a coal pile. After that I'd just add little pieces of kindling to keep the heat.

I did the U-shape because it's easier to go straight in and out with that size of the pizza and peel. The peel is 17" and the entrance to the oven is just over 18". If the coals were all to one side I'd have to go straight in with the peel then pivot my arm in the oven and launch the pie which I did the first time make bigger pizza's a while back and quickly learned not to again.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 08:09:44 AM »
David,

Your pizzas look awesome!  Congrats!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 08:13:26 AM »
Thanks Norma.

Forgot to add that the tomatoes used were the Titina DOP's from Capri Flavors and the cheese was Saputo Mozzarellissima 50/50 WM/PS.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 07:09:52 PM »
Spectacular job David.

John

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »
David,
Don't mean to high jack the thread but I noticed your comment about subing regular salt for kosher. If you go by weight I wouldn't think it made any difference after all it's salt. But maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time just ask the wife.
Pizza looks perfect.
Kevin
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Online Chaze215

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »
Quote from: BrickStoneOven link=topic=25773.msg259810#msg259810 dawouldn't have thought124140
Thanktechnique It feels great making pizza again after not having done it at home for almost 2 year :-[.
Wow, thank you Brain for the praise. Coming from you that means a lot. Without your openness in that thread a little while back none of us would be able to replicate your amazing dough.
The pizza's were 17" 480g dough balls. I'm really glad I caught Bakeshack's post where he up'd the dough ball size other wise I think they may have been a little bit to small from what I originally planned. The heat up was a breeze honestly because the wood was really seasoned, 3+years; so it caught and kept a flame pretty well. The fire was started in the middle for about an hour, then moved to the right side for about another 2 hours till it got to temp, then I spread the coals along the entire oven wall in a U-shape and left it like that for another hour till it dropped down to temp and evened out. I kind of over fired it to 850ish but the temp dropped down within an hour or so because there wasn't that big of a coal pile. After that I'd just add little pieces of kindling to keep the heat.
I did the U-shape because it's easier to go straight in and out with that size of the pizza and
 peel. The peel is 17" and the entrance to the oven is just over 18". If the coals were all to one side I'd have to go straight in with the peel then pivot my arm in the oven and launch the pie which I did the first time make bigger pizza's a while back and quickly learned not to again.

Thank you for that detailed explanation!  I wouldnt have thought of that U shaped coals technique until it was too late...lol
Chaz

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 02:00:50 AM »
David,
Don't mean to high jack the thread but I noticed your comment about subing regular salt for kosher. If you go by weight I wouldn't think it made any difference after all it's salt. But maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time just ask the wife.
Pizza looks perfect.
Kevin

I ran out of sea salt which is what I used all the time. But there was only a little bit left so I had to fill in the rest with regular iodised table salt which is usually weaker in taste. Thats the only reason why I took that note down just in case there was a noticeable difference I'd know what and why it happened.

Spectacular job David.

John

Thank you John.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 09:35:13 AM »
Nice David,  they look incredible.  Why the two years?  -Marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 10:23:02 AM »
Nice David,  they look incredible.  Why the two years?  -Marc

Thanks Marc. The oven is working great and surprisingly had little to no moisture retention for not using it for so losing. I fired it a little the day before and it was like I've been firing it everyday since I got it.

The first year our deck collapsed during the winter so we couldn't repair it till the spring time came around. Then when they fixed the deck my dad decided to remodel the kitchen which wasn't finished till the end of November. Then the second year which was up until now I got really fat, lol; so I wanted(or needed realistically) to lose some weight. Which I have and then some which didn't really take that long considering the results I got in a year and about 4 months. Now that I'm in better shape I can fit more of the foods I like into my macros. I have before and after pictures from fata$$ to where I am now but I don't think this would be the place to post them.

So that was basically the little more than 2 years. But it's kind of like riding a bike where a lot of things become second nature when you've done them enough times.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
David I would like to see your pictures with and without pizza.   It might encourage me to go on a diet as well.