Author Topic: Doubts regarding the tomato sauce  (Read 277 times)

Offline nagarz

• I Love Pizza!
Doubts regarding the tomato sauce
« on: August 29, 2014, 08:33:53 PM »
Ok so for my first pizza after joining the forums I will give the chicago-style a shot. I have the dough already done and resting, but I have a question about the sauce.

I have fresh natural tomatoes from a friend's vegetable patch, and I was thinking of using them for the sauce. Most recipees use canned crushed tomatoes, so I was wondering if there is some special way I should prepare the tomatoes?

Thanks in advance.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Doubts regarding the tomato sauce
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:05:19 PM »
If you're using fresh tomatoes, you'll want to blanch them and then remove the skins, then scoop out the seeds and pulpy stuff.
The next part depends on how you like your tomatoes:
 Traditionally, you just crush them with your hands
OR
you could give them a rough chop or dice
OR
You could toss them in your blender for a very quick blitz.

The more you process your tomatoes, the more you may need to drain the excess water out of them. Lightly salting the tomatoes will also help the water to drain out.

After you've prepped your tomatoes, TASTE THEM. Since you're using an uncooked sauce, your tomatoes will sweeten a little bit while they bake, but they will taste like you want your sauce to taste BEFORE you bake. If they need a little sugar, now is the time to add it.

I prefer to used canned crushed tomatoes (muir glen crushed with basil is my current favorite), because there is much less prep time involved, and if you find a brand of canned tomatoes that you like, the flavor should be pretty consistent from can to can. 

Good luck! Let us know how it goes, and please post pics when you can!
 :chef:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:11:18 AM by vcb »
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline nagarz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »
Sorry but no pics, as soon as the pizza was done my sister took it out of the oven and began to cut it and serve it, by the time i got out of the shower there was only my portion left .

Anyway the pizza tasted well enough, but it was a little bit wattery, I think its because I added some canned mushrooms and those let go too much water when cooked, oh well I will do better next time, and I will be the one taking out of the oven so I can post pics.

Also, I'm thinking of making the dough about 4-5 days in advance and let it rest, is there any recommended recipe/guide for that? I dont wanna make it too early (I'd be cooking the pizza by saturday) risking the dough go bad.

Online Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:29:39 AM »
it was a little bit watery, I think its because I added some canned mushrooms

That was the fresh tomatoes, I'm sure.

VCB mentioned the need to drain them.  Put them in a strainer and let them sit for a while.  Stir.  Drain some more.  Etc.

And they'll still be wet. This is why no restaurant uses them as a sauce.

Also, I'm thinking of making the dough about 4-5 days in advance and let it rest, is there any recommended recipe/guide for that? I dont wanna make it too early (I'd be cooking the pizza by saturday) risking the dough go bad.

The dough won't go bad.  I'd suggest 3-4 days, though.  What recipe did you use last time?  If you liked it, I'd say to just do three simple modifications:
(1) cut the yeast by 25-50%
(2) use cool water, not warm, when making the dough
(3) stick it in the fridge as soon as it's been kneaded

Slow-rise dough is pretty simple.  I'm sure others will chime in, but I tend to just modify a dough I like to account for the longer fermentation time.

Cheers,
Garvey
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:36:14 AM by Garvey »