Author Topic: Cast iron pan oven help  (Read 627 times)

Offline Gluten4punishment

• I Love Pizza!
Cast iron pan oven help
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »
Going to be trying a deep dish soon and want to make it my lodge cast iron pan.

I was thinking of preheating my oven to 450 with my 1/4 steel on middle rack and placing pan (cold) on steel.

Do you think this will be too much heat on bottom or not enough?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Cast iron pan oven help
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »
If I'm not mistaken Lodge cast iron skillet is basically identical to another piece of 1/4 steel on its own.  Since you'll be using it without preheating it you can expect a long bake time which may or may not be a good thing for your style of pizza. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:45:21 PM »
If I'm not mistaken Lodge cast iron skillet is basically identical to another piece of 1/4 steel on its own.  Since you'll be using it without preheating it you can expect a long bake time which may or may not be a good thing for your style of pizza.

True, but there is no way to preheat it then build a pie in the pan. I figured if I place it on the steel that heat will heat the pan faster than just in the oven. Thanks for the reply. Mike

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
I keep seeing posts in this forum from people using cast iron skillets to make deep dish and,
although it is possible to do it with some effort ... 
why don't people use the right tool for the job?

PURCHASE A DEEP DISH PAN!
They are not difficult to find these days.

[apologies for the mini rant]

That said, cast iron will heat up faster than a pizza stone will, and so you can probably use the pan in a preheated oven without a stone or baking steel.

I don't use cast iron to bake deep dish, so I can't give an estimate on baking time or temp, but I would be concerned about overbaking the bottom, so maybe use a slightly lower temp than you would for a deep dish/cake pan.  :chef:
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
I keep seeing posts in this forum from people using cast iron skillets to make deep dish and,
although it is possible to do it with some effort ... 
why don't people use the right tool for the job?

PURCHASE A DEEP DISH PAN!
They are not difficult to find these days.

[apologies for the mini rant]

That said, cast iron will heat up faster than a pizza stone will, and so you can probably use the pan in a preheated oven without a stone or baking steel.

I don't use cast iron to bake deep dish, so I can't give an estimate on baking time or temp, but I would be concerned about overbaking the bottom, so maybe use a slightly lower temp than you would for a deep dish/cake pan.  :chef:

Ok well I kept seeing the same posts etc so I thought it was the wat to go, appear toy not ;D

I will pick up a deep dish pan and try it that way, so.... Just in the oven on no stone? 450?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »
A standard cake pan will work fine, if you have one and don't want to buy a deep dish pan.  I've used them to great success.

Online Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 04:56:04 PM »
Standard cake pans have worked just fine for me on several occasions, with and without a stone.  Without a stone came out better.  I have had even better success personally, with pies in a room temp cast iron going in to a hot oven.  No stone, just a hot oven.  Works best with a formulation high in oil IMHO as it takes a little longer to cook (not much longer though).  The reason I like cast iron better than standard cake pans are the slightly sloped sides.  Makes getting the pizza out of the pan a LOT easier.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:00:14 PM by Jakew81 »
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:10:55 PM »
I've made all my DD pizzas in my 9" cast iron skillet. No stone, just a 450 degree oven, on the center rack. Timing depends on the toppings. With the CI, it gives me 2" to pack with all kinds of goodies. My sausage, pepperoni, onion, green pepper, olive, mushroom takes about 45 minutes to fully cook through.

Tom

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »
I've made all my DD pizzas in my 9" cast iron skillet. No stone, just a 450 degree oven, on the center rack. Timing depends on the toppings. With the CI, it gives me 2" to pack with all kinds of goodies. My sausage, pepperoni, onion, green pepper, olive, mushroom takes about 45 minutes to fully cook through.

Tom

Thanks, I'm going to give that a try.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 09:41:17 PM »
One thing you may want to watch for is that if the top looks like it's getting overdone, lay a piece of aluminum foil over the top to allow the middle to bake more while not charring the top too much.

Of course, we like our pizzas done on the 'well' side.

Tom

Online Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »
I made this friday night.  450 degrees, center rack, about 35 minutes. 

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 01:37:54 PM »
Great looking DD. How did it taste?

Tom

Online Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »
Thanks Tom 
Crust was pretty good.  This one was all cheese. 7 oz sliced mozz. 8 oz provolone, under some hand crushed San Marzanos.  The family did not like the addition of the provolone, and I prefer some meat.  But everybody ate it!

Offline mudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 05:16:19 AM »
New guy around here, I really enjoy all of the info and help that this forum has. I too have been using a cast iron skillet for a while and am happy with the results I get from it. But I think I could do better with a pan. I place it on the middle rack with my over at 425f  for about 22 mins. But I am going to buy a deep dish pan and a stone and try that soon.

Again just want to say thanks for all the info.

pizzapan