Author Topic: Definitive Closest Giordano's Clone as of 6/12/13?  (Read 22621 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Definitive Closest Giordano's Clone as of 6/12/13?
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 07:02:22 AM »
I wanted to give you some real good shots of the crust so you can see how different it is vs the other Chicago places.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 07:03:17 AM »
Few more

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »
Nate, I feel like most of your pics show a crust that looks very similar to my crust on this pizza. Especially this pic. Are you seeing something different?

(I'm sure there must be a way for me to repost those pictures in this reply, rather than making people have to follow a link to see them, but I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone give me a clue how to do that?)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »

(I'm sure there must be a way for me to repost those pictures in this reply, rather than making people have to follow a link to see them, but I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone give me a clue how to do that?)

Ryan,

One way to post a photo that has been posted is to right click on the photo (save image as) and save it to your downloaded images on your computer and then just attach it in your post.  The next way is to click on the Reply where the photo was right up at the top of where it would says the reply number and then copy the URL at the top of your browser to a word processor, or a note pad.  That will take you right to that reply.  Just make sure you don't have a period at the end of the URL.  That is what works for me, but maybe other members have other ideas.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2013, 10:56:31 AM »
At the bottom of a pic click on the paper clip....a window comes up to file it....repost from file.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »
At the bottom of a pic click on the paper clip....a window comes up to file it....repost from file.

Thanks Bob, I didn't know that trick before.   ;D

Norma

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2013, 11:30:53 AM »
....a window comes up to file it....repost from file.

Not sure what that means, unless by "file it" you're saying it asks you if you want to save it. I know how to save a pic that's already here, then upload it. I'm trying to avoid saving and uploading copies of pics that already exist here. Seems like it should be pretty easy. Am I missing something?

Offline pythonic

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2013, 12:25:22 PM »
Nate, I feel like most of your pics show a crust that looks very similar to my crust on this pizza. Especially this pic. Are you seeing something different?

Like I said their crust is totally original.  Nothing else tastes and feels like it.  You will have to try it for yourself and compare to your own.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
Not sure what that means, unless by "file it" you're saying it asks you if you want to save it. I know how to save a pic that's already here, then upload it. I'm trying to avoid saving and uploading copies of pics that already exist here. Seems like it should be pretty easy. Am I missing something?

Ryan,

I don't know how your computer works, but when I used Bob's advice to click on the paper clip thing it automatically downloaded the photo to my downloads on my computer.  Like Bob says it was easy peasy.  Maybe your computer doesn't work like mine does though. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 01:36:49 PM »
test for pic transferring...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25774.msg274829.html#msg274829

Nope...that doesn't do it. Sorry Ryan, but I believe this has been recently discussed(along with not being able to insert text in between pics) and as you've noted, it can't be easily done.

I wonder why if you right click on an image and hit the "copy image" nothing happens when you go to "paste" that image? I'm sure that is what you(and others) are wanting to do Ryan.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:43:55 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 01:40:36 PM »
What I'm hoping to find out is if there is a way to do it without downloading the picture and then uploading a picture that already exists somewhere on this web site. With HTML, it's very easy to do that because you just enter code that basically says "show this picture, which already exists in this specific place." I assume you can do that on these boards, too. But since the boards don't use HTML, I have no idea how to do it.

I already know where the picture files exist on this web site, which is why you can see the pictures when you follow my links a few posts back. I just don't know how to tell the reply form to show the particular picture files in my reply. There's gotta be an easy way to do that.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2013, 02:09:12 PM »
What I'm hoping to find out is if there is a way to do it without downloading the picture and then uploading a picture that already exists somewhere on this web site. With HTML, it's very easy to do that because you just enter code that basically says "show this picture, which already exists in this specific place." I assume you can do that on these boards, too. But since the boards don't use HTML, I have no idea how to do it.

I already know where the picture files exist on this web site, which is why you can see the pictures when you follow my links a few posts back. I just don't know how to tell the reply form to show the particular picture files in my reply. There's gotta be an easy way to do that.

Smartphone works now for uploading images.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2013, 02:06:59 AM »
Like I said their crust is totally original.  Nothing else tastes and feels like it.  You will have to try it for yourself and compare to your own.
pythonic you Gotta try his recipe and tell us/him Where he needs to go!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2013, 09:57:37 AM »

Totally. As I've learned from my Tommy's (cracker) experiment, it gets lonely when you try to clone a specific pizzeria's pizza and no one else is trying it with you. In the case of Tommy's, it's mostly because very few members have had Tommy's, but it's surely also because it takes a ton of really hard work to roll the stiff dough into 8 laminates. It takes half an hour for me to roll each Tommy's skin (which I'm about to do twice).

Of the four stuffed pizzas I've made so far, the second one was by far the best. (That's the one that's pictured near the bottom of page 1 of this thread, in Reply #18.) The formula for that dough was:

100% Pillsbury AP flour (bleached, I think)
46% Water
0.6% ADY
1.5% Salt
8% Oil

I believe that was a 2-1/2 day dough. After that batch, I decreased the fat by 2% but increased the hydration by 3%, then another 1% with the next batch, which means functionally I ended up increasing the hydration by 1%, then another 1%, which I now know was not the right thing to do. I'm not sure if I already listed the formula for my most recent dough, which I made Thursday night for later today (Saturday), but here it is:

100% Pillsbury bleached AP
47% Water
0.6% IDY
0.9% Salt
6% Shortening

Note that the sum of the hydration and fat for this formula is 53% (47% water + 6% shortening), rather than 54% (46% water + 8% oil), as in the top formula. As soon as I went above 54%, I ended up with dough that I thought was too soft. Also, in my experience, Pillsbury AP requires a higher hydration figure than other AP flours (particularly KAAP and Meijer brand); possibly as much as 4% or 5% higher. Gold Medal seems about the same as Pillsbury. So if you try this with some other AP flour, you might consider dropping the hydration by a few percent.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
shoot! I would do it but ive only had like 1 frozen one in the last 10yrs!  from the looks of it, I think your pizzas look awesome!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »
Thank you, man. I appreciate it.

I'm getting ready to roll the "emergency" stuffed dough I made Thursday night. No guests have shown up yet for my party, and I'm only expecting one person from my entire Facebook friends list (172 "friends"), plus her two guests. (My mom said some of her people are coming, too.) I've done a lot of work the last two days to make four different kinds of dough (and other stuff), so I hope some people show up eventually; neighbors and stuff. But since I live in a rural area, "neighbors" is a very small quantity of people.

Hopefully I'll end up with some good pics to share later.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »

Yes but how is this gonna help him know what it's supposed to taste and be like texture wise?

Nate
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:02:23 PM by pythonic »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2013, 09:12:02 PM »
I don't know if the Giordano's style pizzas I've made taste anything like Giordano's, but one thing I do know is that I've received an overwhelmingly positive response from the people who have eaten these pizzas. I made a couple really good NY style pizzas today, in addition to a Tommy's style pizza (laminated cracker) that may have had the best crust I've ever made for that style, but there seemed to be a buzz about the stuffed pizza. A guest I'd never met before today said it was the best pizza he's ever had. I'm sure we've all heard that more than a few times, but sometimes it seems more genuine than other times. I'm not sure how genuine it was this time, but it's always nice to hear.

In my opinion, today's stuffed pizza was nothing special; probably even overfermented, judging by the texture of the outer crust as I look at a picture. So to get that kind of response is a pretty cool feeling.

I'll try to get some more pics up here soon, of all the stuffed pizzas I've photographed.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2013, 09:35:03 PM »
Ryan,

Please do post those pics.
I am gonna attempt your recipe in a week or two.  What type of pan are you using?

Nate

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:10 PM »
I'm using a 10" x 2" seasoned aluminum pan. Even though it's not a true deep dish pan, it's not a bad pan. I have four tin-plated steel deep dish pans, but the three smallest ones (6", 9", and 12") don't really work for stuffed pizza because they're only 1.5" deep. The 14" deep dish pan is 2" deep, but I haven't used it yet because I've had no need to make a 14" stuffed pizza so far. That would make almost a 6 lb pizza!

pizzapan