Author Topic: Definitive Closest Giordano's Clone as of 6/12/13?  (Read 23188 times)

Offline jkolassa

Definitive Closest Giordano's Clone as of 6/12/13?
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:43:59 PM »
So I posted a while back about wanting to make a giordano's pizza at home.  Things got busy and money was tight (I needed to buy a pan) so that got put on the back burner.  I finally have the opportunity to do it now and am very motivated to try this.  There are tons of threads on this subject with a bunch of different recipes.  I was hoping to get a good thread dedicated of the truest Giordano's Clone.  I'm hoping to have a definitive answer from someone who has

1.Actually had Giordano's from the pizzeria
2. Tried multiple clone recipes
3. Looked like this  :drool: after eating the recipe they post.

1 and 3 are requirements and 2 isn't required but  the most important part is that obviously I want it be as close to Giordano's as possible.  You may have come across a great recipe for pizza but if it is good for other reasons than tasting like Giordano's I'm not interested. I know there are a bunch of threads on this subject but they are more about figuring it out.  I want this to be more like just a list of the recipes with maybe a little bit about how close it is to Giordano's.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Definitive Closest Giordano's Clone as of 6/12/13?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:17:59 PM »
Giordano's is my favorite too.  The link below has a post by "Chicago Rules" and his pic is the closest that I've seen.  But without a sheeter you are gonna miss a crucial part in replicating Giordano's flakiness.  There is also a very distinct flavor in their crust that I am unable to pinpoint. I'm sure u know what I'm talking about.
I know they use Stella mozzarella, 6-1 tomatoes and they bake at 465F in a rotary type oven that looks expensive as hell.

I really feel Giordanos needs to be revisited on here because it truly is one of the best pizzas in the country.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2314.0.html

Nate
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:47:38 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21:29 PM »
Here is another that looks very close but that top layer is too thick.

http://johnsonville.org/index.php?ndx=101
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:47:10 PM by pythonic »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:22:47 PM »
And here is one more.  Not sure if it's the same as the first link because it mentions Chicago Rules.

http://www.kitchenmonki.com/m/recipe/Giordanos_Famous_Stuffed_Crust_Recipe

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:35:24 PM »
So I posted a while back about wanting to make a giordano's pizza at home.  Things got busy and money was tight (I needed to buy a pan) so that got put on the back burner.  I finally have the opportunity to do it now and am very motivated to try this.  There are tons of threads on this subject with a bunch of different recipes.  I was hoping to get a good thread dedicated of the truest Giordano's Clone.  I'm hoping to have a definitive answer from someone who has

1.Actually had Giordano's from the pizzeria
2. Tried multiple clone recipes
3. Looked like this  :drool: after eating the recipe they post.

1 and 3 are requirements and 2 isn't required but  the most important part is that obviously I want it be as close to Giordano's as possible.  You may have come across a great recipe for pizza but if it is good for other reasons than tasting like Giordano's I'm not interested. I know there are a bunch of threads on this subject but they are more about figuring it out.  I want this to be more like just a list of the recipes with maybe a little bit about how close it is to Giordano's.
Sure thing man...here ya go!  :drool:   I hope it meets your "requirements" dude!!!   8)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=search2
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »
Anyone gonna try one of the above recipes?

Offline jkolassa

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »
Hey chicago Bob the one you posted just brought me to a page that said "Did you forget to put something to search for?" Could you repost the link?  Also, all of the recipes posted have been for a 9" pizza.  The pan I bought is 12".  Does it work to just multiply all ingredients by 4/3?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 05:42:26 PM »
Hey chicago Bob the one you posted just brought me to a page that said "Did you forget to put something to search for?" Could you repost the link?  Also, all of the recipes posted have been for a 9" pizza.  The pan I bought is 12".  Does it work to just multiply all ingredients by 4/3?
Sorry, the link was sardonic.
You have to do a little math to convert pan sizes...here is how it's done.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1662.msg14990.html#msg14990

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
Joe,

I believe that Bob meant to refer you to the search page at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=search. To get to that page, you only need to click on the Search button at the top of each page.

If the dough formulation you plan to use is in baker's percent format, it is perhaps best to use the applicable dough calculating tool and modify it for the 12" size. But, in general, the multiplier factor you want to use is the ratio of the squares of the radii of the two size pizzas. In this case, it would be 62/4.52 = 1.78. If you multiply the values of the quantities of ingredients used for the 9" pizza by 1.78, that will give you the values of those ingredients to use for the 12" size.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 06:06:26 PM »
Oh that's right joe...I forgot about the dough calculators. You can enter any size pizza/pan you want on there and then just plug in your ingredient amounts.
Come back here if you have a problem.

Bob

Offline jkolassa

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 11:13:50 PM »
Yeah I knew about the Dough calculators. But none of these recipes have been in bakers percentages have they?  As for the method Pete-zza outlined, using the area of the pizza, that will work for non-bakers percentage recipes?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 11:25:34 PM »
Yeah I knew about the Dough calculators. But none of these recipes have been in bakers percentages have they?  As for the method Pete-zza outlined, using the area of the pizza, that will work for non-bakers percentage recipes?
Yes sir.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
As for the method Pete-zza outlined, using the area of the pizza, that will work for non-bakers percentage recipes?
Joe,

As Bob noted, yes, but the extrapolation may not be exact when volume measurements are used, especially for the flour and water, because measuring out ingredients volumetrically is far less accurate and inconsistent than using weights. If you have a particular recipe in mind perhaps I can take a look at it and tell you how best to proceed to convert it to the pan size you want to use.

Peter

Offline pythonic

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
I want to see some attempts dammit.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 06:18:36 PM »
I am gonna be trying each of these different recipes soon.  I just need to figure out which pan I'm gonna use.  Giordanos stuffed pizzas are the best in Chicago and they really do need some love around here.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »
I was just about to start a new thread with pics of the stuffed pizzas I've made in recent days (particularly the one I made yesterday), but my computer won't let me upload pics. So anyway, here's a blog post I published the other day (and have updated a couple times). It's not a very thorough post because I originally published it just to share the pics with Facebook friends (because my computer won't let me upload pics to Facebook, either). Anyway, I think you'll like it.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 01:58:38 AM »
OK, so I've never had Giordano's or any other stuffed pizza, which means I don't know how it's supposed to taste. All I know is what it looks like. But y'know, sometimes looks can tell you a lot. And I feel like I've pretty well interpreted the look of Giordano's and translated it into a near-clone.

I started my quest to clone Giordano's by reading everything I could find about Giordano's on these boards, as well as elsewhere on the internet. It was difficult to make any sense of it, though, because the most active contributors didn't use bakers' percents and because the posts with the best pictures didn't include any kind of formula or recipe. After reading almost everything I could find, I got the impression that a couple members seemed pretty confident in their recipes, so I did my best to translate their volumetric measurements to weight measurements. After entering some of these weight estimates into my spreadsheet that converts weight-based recipes to formulas, it told me these guys are probably doing something like:

100% Flour
50% Water
1% ADY
1% Salt
18% Oil
4.5% Sugar

Once I established this formula, the first thing I did was say to myself, "4.5% sugar? No way. We'll change that to 2% (which is probably still pretty ridiculously high)." And then I said to myself, "18% oil? No way." Someone's apparently confusing this stuff with Malnati's style deep dish.

Even though I've never had Giordano's, I know their dough is nothing like Malnati's dough. I can tell just by looking at the Giordano's dough that their dough is more like Pizza Hut thin than Malnati's. And I'm pretty sure Pizza Hut thin has little or no fat. So right away I cut the 18% oil figure in half. Even after cutting the oil percentage in half, I knew 50% hydration was probably too high. So I decreased the hydration to 45%.

Here's the dough formula I used for my very first attempt at cloning Giordano's:

100% Gold Medal all-purpose flour
45% Water
1% ADY
1.08% Salt
9.38% Oil
2% Sugar

I used this formula to make some dough last Tuesday morning, knowing I'd turn it into a pizza that afternoon or evening. I was very pleased with my results. However, 2% sugar was obviously too much. I don't know if the crust tasted anything like Giordano's crust because I've never had Giordano's. I know it looked a lot like Giordano's, though, aside from the excessive browning.

In one post I read, someone (probably Peter) speculated that the fat percentage in Giordano's dough may be as low as 6%. Based on the look of their dough, I thought that was a very reasonable estimate. So with my next batch, I wanted to be closer to 6%, but I didn't want to make a huge change because my first batch of dough was pretty good and because my next batch would be used to feed guests.

Also, I read on Slice that Giordano's dough is a 3 or 4-day dough, which told me I need to decrease the yeast. So I decreased the ADY from 1% to 0.6%, for a dough I'd be using about 2-1/2 days later.

But the most important (and biggest) change I made was with the sugar. I was originally so blinded by everyone's sugar-heavy recipes that I totally overlooked a post in which Peter transcribed Giordano's official dough ingredient list. (I don't know the proper terminology to use here.) Anyway, Peter's list did not include sugar. So you know what I did? Yup, I eliminated sugar from my formula.

Here's the formula of my second dough batch:

100% Pillsbury AP flour
46% Water
0.6% ADY
1.5% Salt
8% Oil

Again, I don't know if this dough or crust was anything like Giordano's because I've never had Giordano's. But just look at it. And then look at pictures of actual Giordano's pizzas. It looks just like Giordano's to me.

And that's my entire experience in this department so far. My next batch of dough will be:

100% Pillsbury or Gold Medal AP flour
49% Water
0.8% ADY (but I may switch to IDY for this batch)
1.5% Salt
6% Oil

In case you're wondering, there's no real reason why I used different flours for the two batches. I simply used what I had. My go-to AP flour is Pillsbury bleached, but I've been trying Gold Medal lately, and it seems to work pretty well, too. I don't like KAAP.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:43:34 PM by Aimless Ryan »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 07:52:54 AM »
I made a few stuffed deep dish pizzas.   

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10018.0.html

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20222.0.html

and at Reply 239 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6480.msg90089.html#msg90089

I never had a stuffed deep dish from any pizzerias so I am not sure how my attempts were compared to a real pizzaeria.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
I had to put my computer in Safe Mode to do this, but it looks like that will allow me to upload pictures. Hope you enjoy. And again, here's a blog post that may reveal some details I didn't include in Reply #16.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 12:15:57 AM »
Ryan,

Your stuffed pizza looks really good but until you actually have it you'll know a few things are missing.  They use a sheeter so their dough has layers.  There is also a very different taste and almost a dry texture to the rim of their dough (dry biscuit like)  Their sauce makes the pizza too.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:54:12 AM by pythonic »

pizzapan