Author Topic: Definitive Closest Giordano's Clone as of 6/12/13?  (Read 20799 times)

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Definitive Closest Giordano's Clone as of 6/12/13?
« Reply #220 on: December 12, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I made that Mondako batch a couple hours ago, then took it to the fridge in the basement. While downstairs I noticed that yesterday's batch has risen a lot more than I expected. It looked about double the size of my freshly mixed batch. (I was expecting no noticeable rise.) Wish I had looked at the dough earlier because I used a little more yeast with today's batch. I considered making another Mondako batch right away, using 0.7% ADY, but I think I'll wait to see how the dough looks tomorrow.

I'm sure it'll all work out fine, but I'm still a little worried that I did something wrong enough to make the dough unusable by the time I intend to use it.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »
I made that Mondako batch a couple hours ago, then took it to the fridge in the basement. While downstairs I noticed that yesterday's batch has risen a lot more than I expected. It looked about double the size of my freshly mixed batch. (I was expecting no noticeable rise.) Wish I had looked at the dough earlier because I used a little more yeast with today's batch. I considered making another Mondako batch right away, using 0.7% ADY, but I think I'll wait to see how the dough looks tomorrow.

I'm sure it'll all work out fine, but I'm still a little worried that I did something wrong enough to make the dough unusable by the time I intend to use it.
Ryan,
I'd like to try my hand at one of your lower oil stuffed crust pizzas. How did your last batch of dough work out for you? Would this be your current recommended formula? I have some KABF I'd like to try here...what do you think my man? How long to ferment...I want a blockbuster flavor bomb!  >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #222 on: January 06, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »
Ryan,
I'd like to try my hand at one of your lower oil stuffed crust pizzas. How did your last batch of dough work out for you? Would this be your current recommended formula? I have some KABF I'd like to try here...what do you think my man? How long to ferment...I want a blockbuster flavor bomb!  >:D

It's hard to say how my last batch turned out. I didn't even use the Mondako dough I made for the gathering at Walter's classroom, and Walter's ovens don't seem ideal for this kind of pizza. (The ovens are awesome for NY style, though.) I think there's more than one pic of my Power flour stuffed pizza in Walter's thread (in General Pizza Making), but I don't know how much you can really see in these pictures. I didn't rotate the pizza I baked in Walter's oven, and it was obvious because there was one very dark spot. I pulled the pizza five minutes earlier than I would have at home, and it's a good thing I did, although I think the cheese needed a little more time in the oven. I'm still trying to figure out a way to determine visually when this type of pizza is done baking.

I think my latest formula would be what I'd recommend, but with less yeast. So I'd probably go with this formula:

100% Flour
48% Water
0.7% ADY
0.9% Salt
6% Shortening

I like the hydration figure above, at least with the flours I've used. There's no major reason why I still have the salt figure at 0.9%. It's just that that's where I started, based on my interpretation of what I'd read about Giordano's dough before I ever tried making this kind of pizza. Eventually I'd like to make two of these pizzas side-by-side but make one out of dough containing oil instead of shortening, with everything else being the same.

I'd say at least three days in the fridge, but I have to admit I know very little about what's really the best way to do this. I mean, what I've done has worked unbelievably well, especially the most recent few, but I've still only done this like 8 times (and I've still never had Giordano's).

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #223 on: January 06, 2014, 08:39:47 PM »
I just made a batch of dough and a batch of sauce for the pizza bash we're having Sunday at member waltertore's classroom in Newark, Ohio. If anyone is interested in attending, check out this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,29016.0.html.

Dough
100% Power flour
48% Water (cold)
0.9% ADY
0.9% Salt
6% Shortening

Sauce
28 oz 7/11 ground tomatoes
4 oz water
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

This is gonna be cool because I get to bake this pizza in Walter's Blodgett 1000 oven. Can't wait.

Hi Ryan,

In your sauce recipe: Can you substitute fresh chopped garlic for the garlic powder or does the garlic powder give the sauce a different taste? Thanks.

TomN

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »
Thanks Ryan,
Has it been determined how long Giordano's ferments for and how long they bake their casseroles?  :drool:
I'm curious about their bake time and temp....I think I pretty much know how to tell when something like this is done. But like I said...jus curious.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:56:34 PM by Chicago Bob »

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »
Tom, my sauce recipe is in no way representative of Giordano's sauce, as far as I know. My sauce is based on things people have said about Giordano's sauce, but it's still just a totally blind stab at recreating a sauce I've never tasted. So yeah, go ahead and use fresh garlic.

Bob, from what I've read, it seems pretty clear that Giordano's ferments 3-4 days. Nate posted a video several pages back in which a Giordano's regional manager says they bake 35 minutes at 465 degrees. I have no reason to believe the manager was being deceptive about this or anything else he said. At home I've baked most of my pizzas for 35 minutes at 460. Walter's oven was 450, and I pulled that pizza after about 30 minutes.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #226 on: January 06, 2014, 10:47:10 PM »
Tom, my sauce recipe is in no way representative of Giordano's sauce, as far as I know. My sauce is based on things people have said about Giordano's sauce, but it's still just a totally blind stab at recreating a sauce I've never tasted. So yeah, go ahead and use fresh garlic.

Bob, from what I've read, it seems pretty clear that Giordano's ferments 3-4 days. Nate posted a video several pages back in which a Giordano's regional manager says they bake 35 minutes at 465 degrees. I have no reason to believe the manager was being deceptive about this or anything else he said. At home I've baked most of my pizzas for 35 minutes at 460. Walter's oven was 450, and I pulled that pizza after about 30 minutes.
Thanks Ryan...I'm going to follow your lead and if fancy pants Mr. Garvey don't like dat then the Devil may care!!   >:D

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2014, 08:09:22 AM »
Thanks Ryan...I'm going to follow your lead and if fancy pants Mr. Garvey don't like dat then the Devil may care!!   >:D

What?  Fail to follow the joke here, C-Bob.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2014, 11:20:11 AM »
I don't think it's a joke, Garvey.   :chef:

Offline Garvey

« Reply #229 on: January 07, 2014, 11:04:11 PM »
Still not following.  Am I "fancy" about bake times... whatever that means? ???

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #230 on: January 08, 2014, 12:56:17 AM »
Hi Ryan,

I made a deep dish pizza tonight with dough that i made with Blue Moon Beer. it turned out good, but I like my pizzas that are made on the pizza screen the best.  Take a look at my link. Thanks for the dough ball measurements on your thread.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.msg295840.html#msg295840
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:59:36 AM by TomN »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #231 on: January 08, 2014, 08:58:57 AM »
Still not following.  Am I "fancy" about bake times... whatever that means? ???
Garvey,

Knowing that Bob likes to tease people, my first instinct was that he was teasing you. But when I am not sure whether someone is joking or not, I just ignore the statement. It's a problem with words. The reader can make them mean just about anything. But unfortunately they tend to see the worst possible meaning as it affects them. For this reason, it is usually a good idea to avoid sarcasm or even satire in posts, and sometimes even humor. More than once I have composed posts that were intended to convey humor or satire but, upon further reflection, went back and deleted the posts because I was afraid that my comments would be taken the wrong way.

All that matters to me is that you are a good man, and you have made valuable contributions to the forum.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:01:12 AM by Pete-zza »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2014, 10:46:17 AM »
Garvey,

Knowing that Bob likes to tease people, my first instinct was that he was teasing you.

All that matters to me is that you are a good man, and you have made valuable contributions to the forum.

Peter
^^^

Offline Garvey

« Reply #233 on: January 08, 2014, 04:28:14 PM »
Aw, thanks, fellas.   :)

Offline Omahachicagostuffed

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2014, 12:56:11 PM »
Hi Guy's,

Been making Giordano's style pizza for 20 years in Iowa City.  The joint was named the best pizza in Iowa last year by zagut.  Here is the Giordano's stuffed sauce recipe.  It's awesome and legit.  Enjoy.

Stanislaus Alta Cucina
Stanislaus 7/11
Veg. Oil
Oregano
Garlic Salt
Granulated Garlic
Salt

That's all.  The amounts I have are for bulk sorry.  We crush the Alta Cucina by hand and mix with the 7/11 before adding the oil and spices.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »
Hi Guy's,

Been making Giordano's style pizza for 20 years in Iowa City.  The joint was named the best pizza in Iowa last year by zagut.  Here is the Giordano's stuffed sauce recipe.  It's awesome and legit.  Enjoy.

Stanislaus Alta Cucina
Stanislaus 7/11
Veg. Oil
Oregano
Garlic Salt
Granulated Garlic
Salt

That's all.  The amounts I have are for bulk sorry.  We crush the Alta Cucina by hand and mix with the 7/11 before adding the oil and spices.

Any hints about the dough?  What type or types of fat are they using?  What type of flour?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »
Dough originally was Ceresota but any 11.5 protein should work.  Use 6% Oil 2% Margarine.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2014, 04:35:32 PM »
Dough originally was Ceresota but any 11.5 protein should work.  Use 6% Oil 2% Margarine.

Their dough has a very distinct flavor.  No secret ingredient?

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2014, 05:19:19 PM »
No not on my recipe.  Maybe the oil as corn oil and using the margarine to get the texture and some subtle flavor.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2014, 07:38:05 AM »
I'd like to share something I found online which I think is crucial in nailing Giordanos layered crust.  This should enable us to take the next step.

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2011/07/the-food-lab-the-science-of-pie-how-to-make-pie-crust-easy-recipe.html