Author Topic: Definitive Closest Giordano's Clone as of 6/12/13?  (Read 22666 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Definitive Closest Giordano's Clone as of 6/12/13?
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »
Hi Ryan,

I made a deep dish pizza tonight with dough that i made with Blue Moon Beer. it turned out good, but I like my pizzas that are made on the pizza screen the best.  Take a look at my link. Thanks for the dough ball measurements on your thread.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.msg295840.html#msg295840

OK, Tom. Important things first. I'm gonna be blunt. Don't be offended by my bluntness, because I'm just trying to help.

The pizza in your linked post is neither a stuffed pizza nor a proper deep dish pizza. The dough appears to resemble Giordano's style dough, but it is nothing like Malnati's style deep dish dough. (Giordano's/stuffed is not deep dish. It just looks like deep dish.)

In your private message, you mentioned the cheese browning too much, and I replied by asking if you were adding dough to the pan, followed by cheese, then toppings, then sauce. Well, now I know. If you're shooting for deep dish, cheese (preferably sliced) should be placed on the dough before anything else. That alone will eliminate your overbrowning problem. With stuffed, the shredded cheese (and a lot of it) goes between a bottom and top crust, like a pie. (Having not read much about the history of stuffed pizza, I think this style was first created in an attempt to make literally a pizza pie, because that's exactly what it is.)

You might be able to make the pictured pan work, but it appears to be too shallow for deep dish, and it is definitely too shallow for stuffed. I can't tell if the pan is 1" deep or 1-1/2" deep. Regardless, you probably want to season the outside of the pan (if it's not already seasoned, which I assume it's not). You can also season the inside if you want. (Might as well.) I think the second link I shared with you in the private message should help you with that.

Even though that pizza is neither a proper deep dish nor a stuffed pizza: If you like it, keep doing it.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »
I'd like to share something I found online which I think is crucial in nailing Giordanos layered crust.  This should enable us to take the next step.

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2011/07/the-food-lab-the-science-of-pie-how-to-make-pie-crust-easy-recipe.html

The recipe used to make this crust above.

* 100% flour
* 7% sugar
* 80% butter
* 0.75% salt
* 25% water

To achieve the Giordano's layers the fat content must be high, not sure if that high though.  Any thoughts?
The dough making procedure is just as important as well if you want layering.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:26:25 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
No not on my recipe.  Maybe the oil as corn oil and using the margarine to get the texture and some subtle flavor.

Check your PM please.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #243 on: January 16, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »
OK, Tom. Important things first. I'm gonna be blunt. Don't be offended by my bluntness, because I'm just trying to help.

The pizza in your linked post is neither a stuffed pizza nor a proper deep dish pizza. The dough appears to resemble Giordano's style dough, but it is nothing like Malnati's style deep dish dough. (Giordano's/stuffed is not deep dish. It just looks like deep dish.)

TomN, I want to apologize if I sounded at all mean or condescending in my previous (partially-quoted) post. That's not what I intended, and the post didn't sound that way to me when I wrote it. But it does sound that way now when I re-read it, and I don't like that. I was truly trying to be helpful, and no one has indicated that I sounded like a jerk, but I just feel like I did. So I'm sorry if my words made that kind of impression with you or anyone else.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #244 on: January 23, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »
Found a new Giordanos vid we haven't seen.

http://vimeo.com/m/20711435

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2014, 08:09:42 PM »
That's pretty funny...just as the manager is saying; "if I have a bad dough...."  the video is showing the pizza maker using a dough with a gaping hole in it!  ;D

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »
That's pretty funny...just as the manager is saying; "if I have a bad dough...."  the video is showing the pizza maker using a dough with a gaping hole in it!  ;D

Bob

I know right.  I read a comment from a ex employee today that confirmed my suspicion that the dough is pre laminated with cold butter before being sheeted. 

Offline Luscus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2014, 03:05:24 PM »
Hi guys

I don't mean to artificially revive an old thread. But I just wanted to say thank you to you all. I've read a tremendous amount on this forum as an unregistered observer, but I've finally registered. This topic has been tremendously interesting and useful. I'm going to try and make one in the next couple of weeks and will post the result. I made buzz's interpretation last night and although pleasant was too 'bready' and yeasty. Although the last might be my own fault.

I'll post to let you know how I got on.

Thanks

Luscus

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2014, 05:54:14 PM »
TomN, I want to apologize if I sounded at all mean or condescending in my previous (partially-quoted) post. That's not what I intended, and the post didn't sound that way to me when I wrote it. But it does sound that way now when I re-read it, and I don't like that. I was truly trying to be helpful, and no one has indicated that I sounded like a jerk, but I just feel like I did. So I'm sorry if my words made that kind of impression with you or anyone else.

Ryan,

Life is good. No worries. We all have different ideas of how we like our pizza or how they should be made. Anyhow, I just like what beer does for pizza dough and having some left over to drink.

TomN
PS
I was wine tasting the other day and saw a sign on the wall that read: "Don't take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

Offline Giorgi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #249 on: August 30, 2014, 08:10:43 AM »
Hi Guy's,

Been making Giordano's style pizza for 20 years in Iowa City.  The joint was named the best pizza in Iowa last year by zagut.  Here is the Giordano's stuffed sauce recipe.  It's awesome and legit.  Enjoy.

Stanislaus Alta Cucina
Stanislaus 7/11
Veg. Oil
Oregano
Garlic Salt
Granulated Garlic
Salt

That's all.  The amounts I have are for bulk sorry.  We crush the Alta Cucina by hand and mix with the 7/11 before adding the oil and spices.

Is it possible to get bulk amounts?

Offline pythonic

« Reply #250 on: September 10, 2014, 04:46:39 PM »
Dough originally was Ceresota but any 11.5 protein should work.  Use 6% Oil 2% Margarine.

I need to make this tomorrow.

pizzapan