Author Topic: large pizzas sticking to bench  (Read 898 times)

Offline fersy

large pizzas sticking to bench
« on: June 13, 2013, 08:18:34 AM »
hi ive recently opened my own pizza shop having work in a friends since sept last year.

i had my opening night and all went well until late on when i encountered a problem. i got an order for a 16" fully loaded pizza and for love nor money i just couldnt get it off the bench onto the peel.

i had a couple earlier in the night and whilst they were trickier than the 10's and 12's i still managed to get them in the oven ok but i noticed that the one later in the night the dough had become a fair bit softer probably from sitting in the heat (probably about 30 c)

when i was training in my friends it was during the winter mainly when temps are much lower here so im thinking that may be an issue. also my pizza prep table is a refrigerated one with stainless steel surface.

anybody any tips on getting around this as im dreading anything like this happening again as it was embarrasing and has put me off a bit despite everything else going great with both my pizza making and transferring them to and from the oven.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: large pizzas sticking to bench
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 08:43:18 AM »
Dress your skin directly on the peel  :chef:
Josh

JD's NY Style: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34538.0
JD's Neapolitan using Pizza Party WFO: (Coming soon!)
http://www.wood-fired-pizza-oven.us/

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:24:03 AM »
Yep, that's why we have prep peels. Lightly topped skins can be transferred to a peel if the dough isn't too soft or warm, but when you start loading it up with some weight things begin getting a little dicey. If I were you, I'd just begin dressing all of my skins on a wood prep peel that way all of your pizzas will still be made the same way regardless of topping selection.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline fersy

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:43:11 PM »
cheers guys ive no problem anymore with getting the large pizzas up and in like everything a bit of confidence helped as much as technique. now if ive one welded to the bench i can still manage to free it with a scraper and flour and get it in the oven.