Author Topic: Uno's sauce  (Read 2857 times)

Offline bad-hat-harry

• I Love Pizza!
Uno's sauce
« on: February 03, 2006, 09:26:15 PM »
I'm no fan of Uno's crust but I think they have the best sauce going.  I love 6 in 1 tomatos but Uno's obviously uses chunks of whole tomatos.  I've been trying to duplicate it using San Marzanos (although I seriously doubt they would spend money on real San Marzanos!). 

Has anyone tried to duplicate Uno's sauce?  Also, most recipes I see with hand crushed tomatos do not use sugar - it really does seem as if there is a touch of sugar in the recipe, though.  Has anyone verified this? And the sauce seems lightly seasoned - but loaded with flavor!  I also think there is garlic powder in there somewhere (not real garlic). 

My best guess is:

Crushed tomatoes (maybe mixed with 6 in 1)
garlic powder
salt
sugar
dried basil
maybe a little oregano
pepper

Thoughts on these ingredients?  fyi, I used to be a professional taster for an herb company so I'm pretty good at deconstructing recipes... however, I can't nail this down and it's killing me!  :pizza:

Bill

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
Re: Uno's sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 08:39:49 AM »
Are you eating at the Uno's in downtown Chicago or at an Uno's Chicago Grille?

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 10:51:52 AM »
I'm just venturing a guess from memory here, because it's been a while since I've had either Uno's downtown or in the suburbs (both, IMO, are really bad), but it looked like the suburbs were using crushed whole tomatoes while downtown it looked for all the world like canned diced tomatoes (the pieces were all too even). I remember sitting in the downtown Uno's thinking, "What's the big deal about this place--look at these crappy ingredients" (there was something canned about the green pepper, too). I remember no evidence of 6-in-1. I pretty much duplicated their sauce at home with hand-crushed whole tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, and spices. I always add sugar--don't know if they do.

Since Uno's is a chain and looking for the most profit potential, they probably do use garlic powder. Undoubtedly no San Marzanos. Evelyn Slomon "The Pizza Book"), who claims to have interviewed the owners of the big chains (but whose recipes do not match what you get in the restaurant), says it's: 1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes, well-drained and coarsely chopped; 2 garlic cloves minced; 3 tsp. dried oregano; and 4 TBS grated Parmesan.

Hope this helps--maybe someone will have more inside knowledge!

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 01:06:44 PM »
I agree with Buzz.  The only other thing that I would add from my observations is that there is usually a large amount of salt in the sauces.  That is probably the 'loaded with flavor' thing you are talking about.  I haven't tried it for Uno's but when I was working on Gino's sauce I took one of their pizzas home and made up some sauce, increasing the salt until it tasted about the same, but a little less.  Then I baked the pizza and tasted again and it was perfect.  For a 28 oz can of whole tomatoes, drained and hand crushed, I add a tablespoon of salt if I am making a Gino's style pizza.  Hope that helps.

Offline buzz

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 01:39:37 PM »
You're right--chain sauces are extremely salty (cheap spice!).

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 09:13:24 PM »
In my early years experimenting with retail tomato sauce, I had cooked the sauce down to thicken it and to melt the seasonings I had added. The sodium that already existed in the sauce also condensed, giving it a unique saltly flavor. It was too salty for what I was trying to achieve, but maybe what your looking for.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

pizzapan