Author Topic: Adding a WFO to my outdoor kitchen. Thoughts on the Tuscany?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline roberttkirby

• I Love Pizza!
Hello everyone. I am new to the WFO world. I would like to see some you more seasoned chefs opinions to this oven. http://www.dolcevitaspecialtyimports.com/products/tuscany
I am on a $2000 budget and would like to know if this oven is worth what they are asking. If you don't like the specs on this one could you please point me to some other ideas you may have?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Offline Paul_N

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Adding a WFO to my outdoor kitchen. Thoughts on the Tuscany?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
The thing about the stainless steel ovens are that they don't really have much thermal mass.  They heat up quickly, but you will run into issues making lots of pizzas and other dishes that require retained heat for long periods of time.   There are a number of similar ovens out there - Millar, Alfa.it, FontaForni, etc.   There is a thread here where people discuss some of the lower cost models.  I started off wanting just pizza, but fell in love with the flexibility to cook everything else - breads/stews/soups/roasted veggies/etc. 

If you are looking for a traditional brick oven - FGM makes a small neopolitan oven for under $2k .  Check with Antoine to see if there is a turnkey option if, like me, you don't have the skills/time/energy to assemble it yourself:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22014.0.html

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:13:51 PM by Paul_N »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »
I'm definitely no expert but it doesn't seem like that oven gets very hot. For $2,000 I would really want my oven to perform whatever I want it to do. The website says "Heating the oven is shorter than a traditional oven and cooking temperatures above 550F - 600F can be reached in 15-20 minutes." Now I'm sure that's not as hot as it can get, but using that piece of advertising plus the video, it seems 700 might be about max.

Offline roberttkirby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »
Thank you all for your input. I think I am going to order the FGM Neapolitan Oven with the door. I will post some pix one I get things going.

Thanks again,
Robert

Offline Pooch

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 09:31:39 AM »
Robert-
What did you ever decide on and are you happy with it? I'm in the deciding stages myself right now.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:40:47 PM »
Would be happy to answer any question anyone may have.

The Neapolitan oven has been a very popular oven. It is easy to bring to Neapolitan temp and has quite a bit of thermal mass.

With the help of the cast iron door and the insulated door, it stays hot even longer.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

pizzapan