Author Topic: PizzaQue tabletop propane oven  (Read 2888 times)

Offline TRRH

Re: PizzaQue tabletop propane oven
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2014, 11:06:34 AM »
Looks good,  good cornicione puff!
Terry
 :drool:

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »
That does look like a mess of stuff I'd like to chomp into.  Nice bake.
Dave

That's funny. Every time I make a pie I tell myself to put fewer toppings on it. But I end up with a ton. I wonder what a pie would be like with fewer toppings. :-D

These pies were made with a 3 day fermented multigrain bread flour and they turned out pretty good but I think I still prefer white dough. I wonder if the multigrain flour had anything to do with the bottom char or if I just had the stone too hot before the launch. Oh well, the learning will continue.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Hillbilly,

You are convincing me the PizzaQue has potential. $199 and portability in an RV might also convince me.

I'm going to try making a pizza on that cast aluminum Weber Q 320 I just bought to see how it works. It gets pretty hot, almost too hot, and with a stone sitting on top of a thick cast iron griddle it might be interesting. If it works it might delay my plans.
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »
Hillbilly,

You are convincing me the PizzaQue has potential. $199 and portability in an RV might also convince me.

I'm going to try making a pizza on that cast aluminum Weber Q 320 I just bought to see how it works. It gets pretty hot, almost too hot, and with a stone sitting on top of a thick cast iron griddle it might be interesting. If it works it might delay my plans.

I've been wrestling with taking the PQ or the Breville and there are pros and cons for each. I prefer the pizza produced on the PQ but the PQ is a little heavier and bulkier, which a bit of an issue for us. We are going for a fishing holiday for almost 2 months and we will be staying in our truck camper and there is very little room in it for storing or transporting things. We pull a boat behind the truck and it is loaded with a lot of stuff like a freezer, BBQ, fish coolers, crab cooker, Coscto awning, etc and there isn't much room to stuff anything more into the boat either. Both the truck and boat trailer are pretty much maxed out for allowable weight and available space when we travel so adding a box for either pizza maker will be a bit of a challenge, but I will make it work. If I had lots of room available I wouldn't hesitate to take the PQ. I'll probably end up taking it anyways. One of them is going for sure. ;D

Don't forget to post pics of your pie from the kettle.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:01:34 PM by Hillbilly »

Offline Davydd

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2014, 08:19:48 AM »
The Weber Q 320 experiment did not go well. I never got the grill to heat up over 400F. I went online and searched and found several sources say they could get it to heat over 550F. So, I don't know if my 14" x 16" stone retarded the heat or whether maybe my propane tank was close to empty. I had to finish up in the oven in the house.
Davydd

Offline Hillbilly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 11:24:58 AM »
Too bad about the Weber experiment. Are you going to try again or get a pizza oven?

I've made my choice for the fishing trip and we are taking the Breville, only because it is smaller and will take less room to transport and store. It is also lighter so it can be moved around easier while we're camping. The place we go to occasionally has theft problems. Mostly they steal beer but we've had other things taken while we're sleeping. So the Breville will get packed into a container after each use and stored in the camper, somewhere. Don't have room to do that with the PQ. I will miss the nice crusty rim produced by the PQ. But at least I will still have pizza. :)

Offline Davydd

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »
I fired up the Weber Q this morning for a test without the stone on the grill this time and it reached 550F in 10 short minutes and then I shut it down. Maybe I did something wrong in firing it up last night. I can't believe putting the stone in would have that affect to retard the temperature. So now I have to try it again. The temp last night was hovering around 300 to 350F. It has two burners. Maybe one of the burners didn't fire. It would seem that if I can get it at 550F+ that it should outperform my kitchen oven. What is not good is you have to open the lid to see progress.

I'm probably still leaning toward the PizzaQue over the Blackstone. What I like about it is you can be actively engaged with turning the pizza as you should do with a wood-fired oven. If anyone starts producing decent leoparding then I would be convinced. Where is our Dylan down under?  ;D  Anything under 5 minutes would be fine. My Breville and kitchen oven take 8 to 10 minutes. The price and size are a plus as well.

The Breville would definitely be easier to carry in a space starved RV. What I now know is a Dutch oven pizza bake is not the way to go. Not only is it difficult to drop a formed pie into a deep walled oven but I don't see how one could add enough charcoal coals to get the bake under 15 minutes.
Davydd

Offline Davydd

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2014, 10:55:15 PM »
Follow up: I've got to try again with the Weber Q. I tested it again with the stone in place. This time the grill heated up to 500 but it took 20 minutes instead of 10 without a stone. Last night it never got over 400 after 30 minutes. Conclusion: There are two separate burners. One of them must have been off but I don't know how. At 500 degrees I could have easily baked a pizza I think.
Davydd

Offline cupcake

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »
What recipes are you guys using for the best results on the PQ? I'm getting mixed results in terms of rise.