Author Topic: Hand tossed pizza dough, help! :)  (Read 665 times)

Offline FencingSnoopy

Hand tossed pizza dough, help! :)
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »
Hi! I have been trying various supposedly "hand tossable" recipes for a good while now and I haven't found one that tastes just as awesome as it tosses...Would anyone be so kind as to consider sharing some of your favorite recipes with me? Thank you!!  :D
Those who beat their swords into ploughshares may one day find themselves ruled by those of us who kept their swords.

Online jeffereynelson

Re: Hand tossed pizza dough, help! :)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:07:47 PM »
From my experience good tossing recipes don't equate to good tasting recipes. Those who compete in the world pizza tossing contests actually use different recipes for tossing then they do at their pizza establishments just because the best tossing dough will be a bit different then the best for baking. However, I wouldn't let this stop you in your endeavors. I find for me, the workflow often is a bigger contributor to the way the dough opens than the recipe.

One of my favorite videos of opening dough was posted by a member from Pizza Town. Seems like she does it so effortlessly.

Pizza Town Stretch

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »
Hi! I have been trying various supposedly "hand tossable" recipes for a good while now and I haven't found one that tastes just as awesome as it tosses...Would anyone be so kind as to consider sharing some of your favorite recipes with me? Thank you!!  :D

You almost never hear about anyone here tossing dough.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »
From my experience good tossing recipes don't equate to good tasting recipes. Those who compete in the world pizza tossing contests actually use different recipes for tossing then they do at their pizza establishments just because the best tossing dough will be a bit different then the best for baking.

The best tossing doughs have so much salt that they are inedible.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 05:46:03 PM »
Well, I don't know how their pizza tastes, but this is one cute kid who seems to really be having a good time.
7 year old pizza tosser Jersey City

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 06:34:38 PM »
You wanna toss your dough? Use a high gluten flour, keep the hydration low, add a lot of salt and knead it for several minutes.....but don't eat it! ::)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 09:48:16 PM »
Abbey,

Some of the dough formulations on the boardwalk thread do make a tossable dough and the crusts are good to eat.  From time to time customers, or passerby's ask if I can toss the dough and although I am not good at tossing and twirling dough, I do toss a few times for anyone that wants to see that.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan