Author Topic: Ohio’s only certified neapolitan pizzeria w/pics  (Read 3538 times)

Offline redox

Ohio’s only certified neapolitan pizzeria w/pics
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »
We went out for an early dinner to a new local restaurant that is Ohio’s only certified neapolitan pizzeria. They say, “The 5th street pub specializes in handmade, italian inspired cuisine and the only APN (associazione pizzaiuoli napoletani) certified pizza in ohio. We top our 150 year old dough recipe with only the freshest produce and imported meats and cheeses. Our full bar specializes in regional and international craft beers, a reasonably priced wine selection and specialty cocktails inspired by classic italian and American drinks.”
I had, “The Real Deal Margherita” made of, tomato sauce, grape tomatoes, basil leaves, imported buffalo mozzarella, pecorino romano, and olive oil.
My wife had the “La Montanara” made of, deep fried crust with thick marinara sauce, basil leaves, pecorino romano, fresh smoked mozzarella, olive oil. Voted best pizza in N.Y.C. by the New York Times. I wonder who they copied?
We shared and they were both delicious. I’ve got a new favorite pizza joint and it’s only 15 minutes away.
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Ohio’s only certified neapolitan pizzeria w/pics
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »
I wonder who they copied?

There is no shortage of places serving a montanara pizza.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline redox

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 05:24:15 PM »
There is no shortage of places serving a montanara pizza.
There is in my part of the world, that's why it's new to me. I live in a pizza wasteland.  :(

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:55:12 AM »
There is in my part of the world, that's why it's new to me. I live in a pizza wasteland.  :(

I am glad you have found good pizza in ohio!  I live in Granville Ohio and if you are ever in the area let me know.  Our bakery/pizzeria makes pies/breads authentic to my NJ/NYC area upbringing.    Thanks.  Walter
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:05:23 AM by waltertore »

Offline redox

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »
I'm not sure that this place is going to survive. I overheard a couple of tables complaining that their Margherita pizza wasn't "cooked enough"
that it was "wet in the middle" and that "the restaurant wasn't putting enough cheese on it."
Domino's has caused everyone to forget what real pizza is supposed to taste like. Looks like I'll have to go back often enough to keep them in business.  :pizza:  :drool:

Offline redox

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »
I am glad you have found good pizza in ohio!  I live in Granville Ohio and if you are ever in the area let me know.  Our bakery/pizzeria makes pies/breads authentic to my NJ/NYC area upbringing.    Thanks.  Walter
Walter,
Your pizza looks delicious! The next time I'm down around Sugarcreek, I'll have to make a detour your way for lunch. After all, how many broasted chicken dinners can I eat? ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 06:16:29 PM by redox »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:22:53 PM »
We went out for an early dinner to a new local restaurant that is Ohio’s only certified neapolitan pizzeria. They say, “The 5th street pub specializes in handmade, italian inspired cuisine and the only APN (associazione pizzaiuoli napoletani) certified pizza in ohio. We top our 150 year old dough recipe with only the freshest produce and imported meats and cheeses. Our full bar specializes in regional and international craft beers, a reasonably priced wine selection and specialty cocktails inspired by classic italian and American drinks.”
I had, “The Real Deal Margherita” made of, tomato sauce, grape tomatoes, basil leaves, imported buffalo mozzarella, pecorino romano, and olive oil.
My wife had the “La Montanara” made of, deep fried crust with thick marinara sauce, basil leaves, pecorino romano, fresh smoked mozzarella, olive oil. Voted best pizza in N.Y.C. by the New York Times. I wonder who they copied?
We shared and they were both delicious. I’ve got a new favorite pizza joint and it’s only 15 minutes away.
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

I'd be really interested to see more pics of the interior of that place. Is that beautiful (SF??) oven shoved in the back of the kitchen where nobody can see it? What's the "vibe" there? Are they tying to be a "pub"? Or a NP destination? Family joint or hipster scene? What kind of neighborhood are they in? Colleges around? Price of pies?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm writing a thesis paper. No, actually I'm not. But I'd really appreciate an abridged case study if you're able!!

John K
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:24:51 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »
Walter,
Your pizza looks delicious! The next time I'm down around Sugarcreek, I'll have to make a detour your way for lunch. After all, how many broasted chicken dinners can I eat? ;D

Thanks redox.  I look forward to your visit and I hope the shop survives.   I live in Licking County.  Opening a wood fired pizzeria here would be like trying to sell ice on the north pole for $1000 an ounce..........   People here are saturated in the little ceasars type cheap pizzas and the private pizzerias make such bad pizza you could get a better one in the frozen food isle of the grocery store.   Cheap price, conveyor ovens, you are a certified pizza maker in 1 hour of training, tons of cheese/toppings, all around $5-7 is the norm.  I shudder to think what kind of cheeses, frozen sysco dough balls, cheap sauces /toppings are used.  With all that said it is what one is use to.  Being raised in an Italian NYC area food culture is normal for me and thus using grande whole milk mozz, grande provolone, DOP parmigiano and DOP romano, fresh herbs, 7/11 tomates, at least a 24 hour cold ferment, are the way to go.  Also cooking direct on stones in vintage blodgett 1000 ovens is the only way I know how to make a pizza.  There are a couple places around here that use stone deck ovens but they cook them on pizza pans.     Walter
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:36:48 PM by waltertore »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 10:46:02 PM »
Ride to Oberlin OH where the InFamous Larry Za man stokes up one of his 4 (or 7? I cant keep track?)   wood fired ovens at Lorenzos Pizzeria  for Real Deal Neapolitan Pizza out on the patio !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:34:09 AM »
I don't know if it is just me, but the pictures of that cheese look to me like it is cold pizza from the fridge.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 07:08:18 PM »
john you are a funny guy. I'm PMC certified [pizza making.com] :-D

Offline redox

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 08:53:31 PM »
Being raised in an Italian NYC area food culture is normal for me and thus using grande whole milk mozz, grande provolone, DOP parmigiano and DOP romano, fresh herbs, 7/11 tomates, at least a 24 hour cold ferment, are the way to go.     Walter
I live in a cheese desert. I've looked far and wide and still cannot find whole milk mozz. It's very frustrating. There's some decent part skim mozz but it's not the same. Ah well, at least I've got a 3 Italian meat thin crust planned for tomorrow. I'll have t console myself with that.  :'(

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
redox: If you make it out here I can sell you a loaf or as much or little as you like of the grande whole milk at cost.  Walter

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 10:38:20 PM »
 redox i put more cheese on my neapolitan pies than normal for the reason stated above customer perception, and my likes. i really think Neapolitan pizza can get boring if it is not topped with enough cheese and tomato sauce. on a 11 inch pie i use 4 ounces of cheese which gives good coverage. the way the cheese melted above it looks like his oven temperature was down some. if he is not selling a lot of pies it will be hard to run the oven at high temperatures all of the time. his best pizzas are probably produced on weekends during his rush where is is able to run the oven hot. i wish him the best, he is about two hours from me and i want to visit the pizzeria.
 do you know who certified his pizzeria? i thought roberto was the only APN instructor, he may have taken a class from roberto. and i though APN certified pizza makes and VPN certified the pizzeria and methods.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:42:26 PM by thezaman »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 10:52:31 PM »
Those pies look to have enough fresh cheese, but they also have a lot of hard dry cheese added which gives it that look.

Offline redox

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »
redox: If you make it out here I can sell you a loaf or as much or little as you like of the grande whole milk at cost.  Walter
Walter,
That's really kind of you, thank you very much. I'm now feeling a gentle tug toward Granville that I'm sure will intensify as my current stock of part skim mozz dwindles. I've got a vacuum sealer so I could certainly handle a loaf. I'm betting your pizzeria makes a great pepperoni & mushroom pizza so the wife and I will plan on that for lunch.

thanks again,
Jay

Offline redox

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 01:14:17 PM »
redox i put more cheese on my neapolitan pies than normal for the reason stated above customer perception, and my likes. i really think Neapolitan pizza can get boring if it is not topped with enough cheese and tomato sauce. on a 11 inch pie i use 4 ounces of cheese which gives good coverage. the way the cheese melted above it looks like his oven temperature was down some. if he is not selling a lot of pies it will be hard to run the oven at high temperatures all of the time. his best pizzas are probably produced on weekends during his rush where is is able to run the oven hot. i wish him the best, he is about two hours from me and i want to visit the pizzeria.
 do you know who certified his pizzeria? i thought roberto was the only APN instructor, he may have taken a class from roberto. and i though APN certified pizza makes and VPN certified the pizzeria and methods.

Here's what I read.http://www.toledofreepress.com/2013/03/26/5th-street-pub-offers-special-certified-pizza/

It's been quite awhile since I've been to Italy but it seemed very authentic NP to me. Both our pizza were delicious.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 01:21:40 PM »
thanks ,redox they were trained by roberto. i'm sure the pies are delicious,next day off I'm going to take a trip out to try it.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »
"Jeff Kies and Bruce Rahe, the men behind Perrysburg’s 5th Street Pub, are two of the 35 people in the United States who have been certified to make authentic Neapolitan pizzas... After their training, Kies and Rahe received a certification to make the authentic pizzas and are not allowed to make them any other way. They are subject to unannounced inspections by Caporuscio in the future."

Oh good grief... ::)
Pizza is not bread.

Offline redox

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 01:23:10 PM »
I really do like a variety of pizza styles but, call me an idiot or barbarian (you wouldn't be the first  ;D) if I could only have one type of pizza for the rest of my life, I'd torment myself trying to decide between NY style or Chicago thin crust. NP is great but it isn't the one I'd eat forever.
If you're now gonna throw stuff at me for saying that, please make it whole milk mozzarella and high gluten bromated flour.  :-D

pizzapan