Author Topic: Ohio’s only certified neapolitan pizzeria w/pics  (Read 2493 times)

Offline redox

Re: Ohio’s only certified neapolitan pizzeria w/pics
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 01:29:36 PM »
"Jeff Kies and Bruce Rahe, the men behind Perrysburg’s 5th Street Pub, are two of the 35 people in the United States who have been certified to make authentic Neapolitan pizzas... After their training, Kies and Rahe received a certification to make the authentic pizzas and are not allowed to make them any other way. They are subject to unannounced inspections by Caporuscio in the future."

Oh good grief... ::)

If you've ever had dealings with the press you'll know that they are cheap, lazy, and usually half in the bag. I'm not endorsing what was printed, just posting a link to answer a question. If this is upsetting to you then perhaps you should stop reading my postings. I'm not trying to annoy anyone, even you.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »
If you've ever had dealings with the press you'll know that they are cheap, lazy, and usually half in the bag. I'm not endorsing what was printed, just posting a link to answer a question. If this is upsetting to you then perhaps you should stop reading my postings. I'm not trying to annoy anyone, even you.

My comment was in no way directed towards you. Not sure why would even think that.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 01:53:03 PM »
My comment was in no way directed towards you. Not sure why would even think that.

My impression was that Craig was giving the rolling eyeballs about the whole certification program/spot checks/etc. Which I agree, seems kind of worthy of the emoticon. I was not under the impression that you were endorsing either the owners qualifications or the certification process.

John K

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »
I like their website. Wish i could try their pizza.

TomN

http://5thstreetpub.com/

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »
Walter,
That's really kind of you, thank you very much. I'm now feeling a gentle tug toward Granville that I'm sure will intensify as my current stock of part skim mozz dwindles. I've got a vacuum sealer so I could certainly handle a loaf. I'm betting your pizzeria makes a great pepperoni & mushroom pizza so the wife and I will plan on that for lunch.

thanks again,
Jay

Hi Jay:  Being a school teacher I am off for the summer and this is my best time for us to get together.  I have keys to the room and am allowed to come and go as I chose.   I need a few days notice to get the dough ready and or you can bring some of yours.  Our stock is low so it would be best to bring your own toppings.  I use 7/11 ground tomatoes and can get those for you too if you like.   I have 3-4 loaves of mozz and about 1/2 loaf of provolone as of today.    I will make some sauce and if you like we can compare doughs and sauces or just use mine.    The price today is $2.90/lb for the whole milk and the provolone is $3.15/lb.   Here are the ovens we use.  They are 1970's blodgett 1000's.  They are the oven I was taught on back in NJ and I feel they are the best for making a NY style pie.  Anyway, we can have some fun! 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:36:01 PM by waltertore »
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
I like their website. Wish i could try their pizza.

TomN

http://5thstreetpub.com/

Is that their real website? It doesn't have a real address or phone number. Strange.

Offline redox

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »
Is that their real website? It doesn't have a real address or phone number. Strange.
Directly under the large pic of the pizza is the ph. no. and a button to make an online reservation. Can't verify the number, I didn't use it, we just walked in to a nearly empty place. We were pretty early though, anticipating that local news coverage would lead to crowds.

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »
@redox- ya I see it. It's not a real number is all. There are 11 digits. If you look in the top right the address is fake too. That's what confused me earlier. I did a search and figured out why. It is just a basic template they are using that many other companies seem to be using too. That is the default fake info put in until the owner/designer puts in the correct info. I wonder if they know?

Offline redox

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 03:08:18 PM »
Hi Jay:  Being a school teacher I am off for the summer and this is my best time for us to get together.  I have keys to the room and am allowed to come and go as I chose.   I need a few days notice to get the dough ready and or you can bring some of yours.  Our stock is low so it would be best to bring your own toppings.  I use 7/11 ground tomatoes and can get those for you too if you like.   I have 3-4 loaves of mozz and about 1/2 loaf of provolone as of today.    I will make some sauce and if you like we can compare doughs and sauces or just use mine.    The price today is $2.90/lb for the whole milk and the provolone is $3.15/lb.   Here are the ovens we use.  They are 1970's blodgett 1000's.  They are the oven I was taught on back in NJ and I feel they are the best for making a NY style pie.  Anyway, we can have some fun!
Walter,
That sounds great and man what a price on the mozz! I really want to do this but it can't be till a bit later this summer, if that's ok. We recently acquired a 1 1/2 year old rescue dog and are trying to train out some kinks in her behavior. I don't think she was well treated at her previous home. We can't bring her along and still go shopping and dining and I'm reluctant to leave her in a kennel since one of her problems is "abandonment issues." We're working with a trainer and hopefully we can undo some problems due to bad or cruel treatment by her previous owners. So hopefully in a few weeks, if that will work for you.
I understand that you'd be low on toppings over the summer and will be happy to bring what is needed to make some great pizza.

Offline redox

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »
@redox- ya I see it. It's not a real number is all. There are 11 digits. If you look in the top right the address is fake too. That's what confused me earlier. I did a search and figured out why. It is just a basic template they are using that many other companies seem to be using too. That is the default fake info put in until the owner/designer puts in the correct info. I wonder if they know?
Oh for Pete's sake, I saw the number but didn't really look at it. D'oh! That must be confusing potential diners.  ;D

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »
Walter,
That sounds great and man what a price on the mozz! I really want to do this but it can't be till a bit later this summer, if that's ok. We recently acquired a 1 1/2 year old rescue dog and are trying to train out some kinks in her behavior. I don't think she was well treated at her previous home. We can't bring her along and still go shopping and dining and I'm reluctant to leave her in a kennel since one of her problems is "abandonment issues." We're working with a trainer and hopefully we can undo some problems due to bad or cruel treatment by her previous owners. So hopefully in a few weeks, if that will work for you.
I understand that you'd be low on toppings over the summer and will be happy to bring what is needed to make some great pizza.

Hi Jay:  We are dog rescue people as well so I understand you.  We have 2 right now and don't travel unless they come along.  I wish I could let your pup in the kitchen but if the board of health inspector happens by I am in deep trouble.   I go back to work around Aug 12th so anytime between now and then is good.  Walter
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:29:46 PM by waltertore »
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline dhorst

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
Well, over on SE, it looks like Kenji is making a cross country road trip and is looking for recommendations for eats along the way.  It looks like his first stop is Bryan, OH.  I suggested that he stop at 5th Street Pub or Lorenzo's along the way.  If he does, it will be interesting to hear what he has to say.
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 04:10:48 PM »
Tell Kenji He can get Mid west   AND Neapolitan style on sundays at Lorenzos dont miss it ! But dont think youll find Pecorino Roamano?  on Larrys Neapolitan
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline dhorst

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 06:32:56 PM »
Tell Kenji He can get Mid west   AND Neapolitan style on sundays at Lorenzos dont miss it ! But dont think youll find Pecorino Roamano?  on Larrys Neapolitan
John

Will do!  Sigh...another place to put on the pizza destination map.  That sigh came from the family, btw. ;)  John, I hope to meet you in New Haven next week.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »
Well, over on SE, it looks like Kenji is making a cross country road trip and is looking for recommendations for eats along the way.  It looks like his first stop is Bryan, OH.  I suggested that he stop at 5th Street Pub or Lorenzo's along the way.  If he does, it will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Do you have a link to this at SE?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline redox

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »
I seconded your recommendation, you'd better hope he likes it.  >:D

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »
John

Hi JConk007,

I have my ingredients to try making a Margherita pizza at home. What does the shaved Pecorino Roamano do for the taste of the pizza? Thanks

TomN

Offline dhorst

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 09:20:15 PM »
Okay, you guys already found it.  Sorry, dinner time with the guys.  But I did respond to the car wash comment.  Well and I did include a big diesel truck. :-D
http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2013/08/headed-cross-country-need-suggestions.html