Author Topic: Baker's Chef flour at Sam's  (Read 969 times)

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
Baker's Chef flour at Sam's
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:36:24 PM »
 I was thinking about buying a 25 pound bag. It's says it great for bread and pizza. I've seen some posts that say it's great, but seen some that says it not worth buying.

What do you guys think? It's $7.95 a bag. I have been using KAFB with and addition of VWG, which I like.  Should I sick with what I am using, or should I try it? I am making NY pizzas at the moment.

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Baker's Chef flour at Sam's
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »
What is KAFB?

Online scott123

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:41:05 PM »
What is KAFB?

A KABF (King Arthur Bread Flour) typo  :)

Nick, first off, just so we're on the same page, 'Baker's & Chefs' is an entire line of flours- including an all purpose and a bread flour (both of which are not recommended) and a high gluten version.  If you're going to purchase this flour, you want to make sure it's the high gluten (see photo below).

for NY style, here's how this flour ranks (top of the list is the best)

1. 12.7-13.2% protein bromated flour (Spring King, Full Strength, King Midas, XXXX, Superlative, Commander) 
2. 12.4% protein bromated flour (Occident)
3. 14% protein bromated flour (All Trumps, Kyrol, Balancer, Bouncer)(to use in a blend)
4. Sam's Baker's & Chef's high gluten
5. Commercial unbromated flour (Pendleton Power Flour, Unbromated Bouncer)
6. KABF/Better for Bread
7. Caputo pizzeria flour (supplemented with malt and/or very long fermentation times)

Tracking down 1 through 3 can be difficult for the home baker.  If you have an opportunity to purchase the sam's high gluten, it will definitely outperform the KABF, but, bear in mind that there are better flours out there and to keep looking for them.

Vital wheat gluten's sole purpose is for people outside of the U.S. to supplement their weaker flours because they don't have access to any of the flours above.  If you live in a part of the world, though, that has access to any of these flours (anywhere but the remotest of places), VWG has absolutely no role in pizza.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:05:46 AM by scott123 »

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »
Thanks for the info! I thought the bags looked different then the ones I saw about a year ago. No mention of high gluten on the bag. So I think I will pass on it. Yes it was a typo, KABF was what I meant. I use KABF and VWG to make my NY style pizzas. I'll stick with what works for me till I find something better.