Author Topic: How I make my NP dough  (Read 70621 times)

Offline crawsdaddy

• Lifetime Member
Re: How I make my NP dough
« Reply #300 on: March 16, 2015, 08:09:12 PM »
Craig,  Since I am mostly retired now, I am attempting to read all the posts in the Neapolitan board. I have read you threads several times and have just finished (wow) Omids. I have some questions for you and think others might be interested in your response too.

First, Omid suggests using a frother to mix starter in one his posts. I see where you tried that a least once a didn't like it. I assume you feel this is just too much frothing action for your dough?

Omid comments that stretching dough over knuckles  is not advisable although you state that this is something you do if dictated. Frankly, I can't stretch dough to a proper width ( that one before final stretch on peel) without using knuckles. Any comment?

Finally, I can't figure out how to stretch dough to final length on peel without disturbing the cornicione. Any suggestions.

thanks dan

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #301 on: March 16, 2015, 10:15:06 PM »
First, Omid suggests using a frother to mix starter in one his posts. I see where you tried that a least once a didn't like it. I assume you feel this is just too much frothing action for your dough?

I've gon the other way on that one. I dissolve the salt in the water, add the culture, and then froth it up with a whisk.

Omid comments that stretching dough over knuckles  is not advisable although you state that this is something you do if dictated. Frankly, I can't stretch dough to a proper width ( that one before final stretch on peel) without using knuckles. Any comment?

I almost never do any more. I'm working the dough so little now it's just too soft and extensible to use your knuckles. I press it open, stretch a bit on the table, top, and stretch the remaining bit on the peel.

Finally, I can't figure out how to stretch dough to final length on peel without disturbing the cornicione. Any suggestions.

You will a bit, there is no way around it. I kind of slide my fingers underneath where my finger tips are just inside of the cornicione and then spread my fingers while turning my hands up and pulling outwards just a bit all in one smooth motion. It puts very little pressure on the cornicione. 
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline crawsdaddy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #302 on: March 17, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »

I almost never do any more. I'm working the dough so little now it's just too soft and extensible to use your knuckles. I press it open, stretch a bit on the table, top, and stretch the remaining bit on the peel.

You say your working dough so little "now"--does that mean you have changed your mix and kneed times or methodology from that you published several years ago? Or is it just a combination of experimenting with yeast levels, hydration etc. and some other factor?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #303 on: March 17, 2015, 10:26:26 AM »
You say your working dough so little "now"--does that mean you have changed your mix and kneed times or methodology from that you published several years ago? Or is it just a combination of experimenting with yeast levels, hydration etc. and some other factor?

No, it hasn't changed that much. I didn't work it that much when I originally started this thread. I probably mix it a bit less now and do one less set of stretch-and-folds (which probably means 2). I used to want to see it silky smooth before I put it up to bulk ferment. I don't worry quite as much about that now.

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #304 on: March 17, 2015, 10:56:12 AM »
I am having a batch of dough ready for this evening and I am having fellow "forumer" Ben Holiday visiting me and bringing along 40 kg Caputo Pizzeria (thanks Aspendos!). It's 26 hour dough with Ischia Culture but again I see alot of flattening out of my dough balls. I reballed two balls for testing purposes and see how they feel in about 4 hours. But from experience I know that this batch of dough will be challenging to handle. If it sticks to the tray it will be almost impossible to work with. Craig, you said your dough is very easy to open as well maybe I am just too used to cake yeast (which rises much more to the top) but check this pic, do you think this flattening is normal? This is only 62% Hydration....
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #305 on: March 17, 2015, 11:01:15 AM »
I think that's probably about what my dough would look like at that stage if I fermented it in trays. It gets very flat in the tubs I use.

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #306 on: March 17, 2015, 11:05:59 AM »
Good to know - thanks Craig!
My Pizza

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #307 on: March 17, 2015, 08:08:25 PM »
Don, what are the weight of those doughballs? 250-275g?
Chaz

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2015, 04:19:41 AM »
Chaze, good catch - these were 260gr! Here's how the Pizza came out

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36320.msg370613#msg370613
My Pizza

Offline crawsdaddy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2015, 11:08:52 AM »
No, it hasn't changed that much. I didn't work it that much when I originally started this thread. I probably mix it a bit less now and do one less set of stretch-and-folds (which probably means 2). I used to want to see it silky smooth before I put it up to bulk ferment. I don't worry quite as much about that now.

thanks. gives me something to work on. I don't see how the mixing and kneading in my KA can be much less than about 8 minutes so I probably need to eliminate 1 stretch and fold and maybe reduce some of the hand kneading although am reluctant to reduce the hand kneads very much  because it catches so much air during the process.
As an aside, I am wondering if I am trying to stretch the dough too cool because of the ambient temperature outside now in Texas. Maybe I would be better off leaving it in kitchen (about 70f) until time to bake?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:10:33 AM by crawsdaddy »

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2015, 07:30:14 PM »
Craig, didn't you have a fermentation prediction chart (similar to the starter chart) for ADY/IDY/fresh yeast too? Or am I thinking of something else I may have seen elsewhere? I've been poking around your threads and didn't see anything. Thanks!
Chaz

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2015, 07:31:57 PM »
Craig, didn't you have a fermentation prediction chart (similar to the starter chart) for ADY/IDY/fresh yeast too? Or am I thinking of something else I may have seen elsewhere? I've been poking around your threads and didn't see anything. Thanks!

Here it is:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.0
Mitch

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2015, 07:37:33 PM »
Chaz

pizzapan