Author Topic: Nearlypolitan: Grill & Gun  (Read 359 times)

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Nearlypolitan: Grill & Gun
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
I'd like to think I'm on to something here...

Without a doubt, I have an indestructible pizza stone. If you don't want to risk cracking your stone, please do not attempt this. That being said, I figured out a pretty unique way to get Neapolitan Esq. pizzas from your grill, that requires absolutely no mods. 

I took the grates off my gas grill, and removed the flame tamer of the middle burner. I centered my trusty stone above the untamed burner so the flames would kiss the bottom of the stone, and fired up 3 of 4 of the burners. After about 25 minutes, I was already reaching 700*. Probably around the 35 minute mark I was reading 850* with my IR gun  :o

I threw the first pizza on, and the bottom was severely over-cooked at 2 minutes. I've had worse problems. Here's the fun part though, for the top, as soon as the pizza hit the stone I went around the crust with a cheap heat gun on high. I had to pull the pizza before I finished the top, but figured I could finish it off the stone and not really affect the crust in a negative way. I also used that time to hit the cheese a bit too.

It may not look pretty, but it tasted damn good for a first try. Mind you, both cheese's are homemade, so the melt is not necessarily the best representative of this method. It's better than any oven/broiler/steel method I've ever tried too. I bet with a decent heat gun, you could make a pretty killer Nearlypolitan like this. Definitely going to do this again.

Pic 1 - Second pie ~1.5 minutes on stone + a couple minutes with a heat gun on top
Pic 2 - Upskirt of 2nd pie
Pic 3 - First try ~2 minutes on stone (overdone) +  heat gun
Pic 4 - Upskirt of first try
Pic 5 - Stone on top of 3 burners, middle burner has flame tamer removed.
Pic 6 - Aluminum foil drape to help insulate the stone while heating
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:57:04 PM by JD »
Josh

Offline bradtri

Re: Nearlypolitan: Grill & Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:03:40 PM »
I did a little "post-bake" torch on a pizza the other day that didn't brown evenly.  I had painted chile oil over part of the crust and that browned faster than the non-oiled crust.  Since it was looking a little pale when it came out, I took a propane torch to it for a couple seconds.  It is the crust to the back right that also has the notches in it to identify it as my wife's half of the pizza.  The smaller speckles are the torch work.

I use a lodge cast iron stone as the diffuser under my fibrament stone over charcoal in my Big Steel Keg.  I've got a couple other mods that help improve the top heat, so this was the first time I ever torched since the pizza came out rather uneven.

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »
Josh, the heat gun is an interesting idea.

How about two guns- either one in each hand or a double barrel?

Cordierite is generally pretty happy in direct flame situations, but steel would be a lot happier.  It'll be a quicker/easier pre-heat, and, as long as you hit around 650, you should be smack dab in the 90 second realm.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »
650 is closer to 60 seconds on steel with a proper Neapolitan thickness in my experience
-Jeff

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:01:43 PM »
Thanks for adding to the discussion guys. I'm going to try a torch & heat gun tonight on an emergency dough. Torch for the crust, heat gun for the toppings.

Scott: I actually tried the steel first, but due to the size I had to put it higher than the grill grates. I couldn't get above 550* with 4 burners. If I had a smaller plate that fit on top of the burners like I'm doing with my stone, I agree that'd be a better option.
Josh

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »
I gotta say, I'm pretty happy right now. I see potential, just need to figure out the best methods.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:21:24 PM by JD »
Josh

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 02:49:15 PM »
Last one for a little bit. Baby steps...
Josh

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:26:57 PM »
Overcooked the top this time.
Josh