Author Topic: Red or Blue?  (Read 898 times)

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Red or Blue?
« on: December 18, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »
For the best NP pizzas, which color bag should I  be getting?  Searched the forum but was still confused by the old posts I read. Thanks!

Offline sub

Re: Red or Blue?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
yellow   ;D

the red is more versatile and  forgiving, it can be used for the fridge and téglia.

the blue pizzeria need to be cooked in an Neapolitan oven to deliver his full potential. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:51:32 PM by sub »

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 06:34:39 PM »
So to get those great Blackstone pies I'm seeing here , are people mainly using Blue? 

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »
FWIW, the little red bag and big red bag are not the same thing and neither is the same as the big blue bag which is properly referred to as "Pizzeria."

For use in a Blackstone with a goal of Neapolitan-like pies, I would try to find Caputo Pizzeria (in the 25kg blue bag).
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:13:10 PM »
 ^^
FWIW, the little red bag and big red bag are not the same thing and neither is the same as the big blue bag which is properly referred to as "Pizzeria."

For use in a Blackstone with a goal of Neapolitan-like pies, I would try to find Caputo Pizzeria (in the 25kg blue bag).

^^^ works for me... ;D i have to get it at a Italian Grocery store that has a bakery. They sell it in 1 pound containers...

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 04:55:14 AM »
Great, thank you!

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 06:38:08 AM »
In the 1 Kg Bags the Blue One is a super light and soft flour - not too good for long fermentation. The Red One is better for fridge or long fermentation but not quite as soft as the blue. Much easier to achieve browning or leoparding with the red one. As Sub said - the blue one needs HIGH temperatures. Another highly recommended Flour would be the 5 Stagioni Napoletana...
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline Shaklee3

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 01:17:09 AM »

Craig, is this not what you're suggesting?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006XL9W7W/?tag=pmak-20

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 03:06:56 PM »
In the 1 Kg Bags the Blue One is a super light and soft flour - not too good for long fermentation. The Red One is better for fridge or long fermentation but not quite as soft as the blue. Much easier to achieve browning or leoparding with the red one. As Sub said - the blue one needs HIGH temperatures. Another highly recommended Flour would be the 5 Stagioni Napoletana...

As a newbie to making Neapolitan, which of the flours would you recommend for home use on a steel, and when you say long fermentation, what kind of duration are you talking about?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 04:01:04 PM »
As a newbie to making Neapolitan, which of the flours would you recommend for home use on a steel, and when you say long fermentation, what kind of duration are you talking about?

For attempting to get something sort of like a Neapolitan (because the oven will not get hot enough for a Neapolitan) in a home oven, don't mess with these unmalted 00 flours.  Something like KAAP (King Arthur All Purpose) will serve you much better.  00 flours and home ovens are largely a big mismatch since you can't get close to 800 + degrees.
Mitch

pizzapan