Author Topic: Bay Area Neopolitan  (Read 18122 times)

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
Re: Bay Area Neopolitan
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2016, 12:01:15 AM »
That's interesting. Mine doesn't say what clone, but it does say it's from Sweetwater Nursery in Sebastopol. Perhaps the lamest web site I've ever seen. But, I'll be up in wine country the next two weekends, so maybe I'll pay them a visit.

We'll see how the grow. Craig, have you ever grown them before? Tried pickling them?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2016, 08:27:12 AM »
Yes, I've been growing and salt-oil curing them for several years - primarily the round ones though. This is the first year I've had seeds for the proper long chilies.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »
That's excellent! We were already contemplating how to cure them. Do you have your technique documented in one of your threads? We already salt-cure olives and meyer lemons from our trees. I guess chiles would be not much different.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2016, 12:46:11 PM »
I think it's here somewhere. Basically it involves chopping and salting them fairly heavily (they need to taste quite salty at this point) plus a little vinegar, putting them up in the fridge for a couple weeks, pouring off the juice that comes out (save it as a pepper sauce), packing in pint jars with a mint leaf (I use chocolate mint I grow), filling with good EVOO, and pressure canning for 100 minutes at 11psi. I've never measured anything, so I can't give you any precise quantities. Two other members and I spent a lot of time researching how to do it, and unfortunately there is very little information out there that is directly on topic.

Edit: I remembered where I posted it: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19368.msg355902#msg355902
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2016, 12:52:59 PM »
Thanks Craig!

I hope our chiles grow half as prolifically as yours. We don't have great luck here with chiles so far. I think it's because our nights can be quite cool, even in the dead of summer with blistering hot days. I built a little greenhouse with a retractable roof to help with the problem, but didn't garden last year due to the drought and watering restrictions.

wordpress