Author Topic: The Blackstone Challenge  (Read 30307 times)

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Blackstone Challenge
« Reply #250 on: December 28, 2014, 05:48:29 PM »
Love those ^ ! The first margarita is pure beauty! They look exceptionally soft!

^^^

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #251 on: December 29, 2014, 05:58:44 AM »
 Black Tie , very nice pizza margherita  ^^^

Offline Black Tie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #252 on: December 29, 2014, 01:17:34 PM »
Thanks to all  :)

Don - I was using Caputo Blue 00 I ordered from Amazon (I don't remember the size) for the first 2 Marg pies. The stars certainly lined up that night - lol. The other 4 pies were made with King Arthur All Purpose Flour.

Satan's Air Conditioner >:D has produced some great tasting pies!  ;D

BT
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:00:17 PM by Black Tie »

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #253 on: December 30, 2014, 01:08:32 AM »
Caputo Blue are the 1kg bags.

And then there is the professional 25kg. Bags called Pizzeria in blue color but not the same.

after Years of different kinds of 1Kg, 5kg bags, tipo 00, 0 and 1 from many millers.
I recently bought a 25 kg, and the flower behaves different, I think I have to adapt my methods to it.

Qestion, In the vid You did not check the bottom of Your pizza, How do Your pies look underneath?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:18:05 AM by Neopolitan »

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #254 on: January 01, 2015, 01:12:39 AM »
Actually I'm going to grab that towel back off you for a minute Bob.

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #255 on: January 01, 2015, 09:37:59 AM »
Pretty strong.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #256 on: January 01, 2015, 01:10:10 PM »
Pretty strong.

Thanks Craig, still plenty of work to do but got a few things right with this bake.   

Offline Obsauced

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #257 on: January 04, 2015, 10:40:20 PM »
All in!

my tribute to the L&B pie Neapolitan style!
instagram.com/obsauced

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2015, 02:27:25 AM »
very nice pizza  :chef:

Offline Black Tie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #259 on: March 06, 2015, 06:21:50 PM »
These wine coolers are perfect for dough preparation, and dirt cheap on local Used For Sale sites like Craigslist. I bought his one for $40, it was  ~$399 new. It holds dough at stable temperatures between 54 - 66 F. degrees. On the fly I can adjust the temp to control the fermentation or the time the dough will be ready. I use TxCraig1's Chart.
Many thanks Craig for all your hard work!   ;D

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #260 on: March 06, 2015, 08:04:50 PM »
These wine coolers are perfect for dough preparation, and dirt cheap on local Used For Sale sites like Craigslist. I bought his one for $40, it was  ~$399 new. It holds dough at stable temperatures between 54 - 66 F. degrees. On the fly I can adjust the temp to control the fermentation or the time the dough will be ready. I use TxCraig1's Chart.
Many thanks Craig for all your hard work!   ;D

Yep!  That's what I've been using the lat couple of years.  Set it at 60 degrees or whatever.  And you've got very regulated temperatures!

Offline Black Tie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2015, 10:10:55 PM »
Yea thanks - I think I got the idea from you!  ;D

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #262 on: March 07, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »
black tie, those pizzas are very very pretty!! what differences did you notice in the pizza taste and tenderness between the two flours. since the a/p flour is malted did it cook the same as the caputo. thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Offline Black Tie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #263 on: March 07, 2015, 12:21:43 PM »
Thezaman, thanks.
You know I really can't tell the difference. They all taste great. I guess that means my taste buds are not educated enough. Maybe if I did a side by side comparison I would have a preference?  ???
BT   

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #264 on: March 07, 2015, 01:00:50 PM »
Caputo is the best, IMO, and that's why I use it, but the difference is much less than people want to think. And not just compared to other similar '00' flours or GM Neapolitan. You can make really good NP with KAAP. This is why I always tell people not to get all worked up over the flour. Worry about the fundamentals.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline misterschu

« Reply #265 on: April 27, 2015, 03:58:06 PM »
Well I guess I have been at this about 6 months, probably baking on average once a week.
FYI - Interesting to note I was dealing with a bitterness problem with the dough, almost to the point of ditching my Italian Sourdough starter. I traced it to a build up of burnt flour residue from old pies on the baking stone. Now I do my best to keep the stone spotless and the bitterness is gone.

Here are some of my pies...  :)

Great looking pies, Black Tie. Do you use any mods in your oven? I read in one of your past posts that you might've changed the rotation direction, but I can't see how that would change the output (and not sure you were even referrring to the BS)

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »
I've been away from this thread for awhile, so I thought it would be fun to revisit this thread.  I have to say that I am a bit disappointed there weren't more participants.  Of the ppl that participated and particularly the later entries that I missed...outstanding pies.  The pies are looking closer and closer to WFO baked pies.  Still something missing to my eye.  I was really hoping to have the chance to award a member the prize of a check from me for winning the challenge. 

I had an interesting conversation with member Tampa the other day where he admitted that his BS pies came out better in a WFO.  We theorized for a good while about the differences in the way pies are baked in the BS vs a WFO.  I'm curious to know if any BS members who also have access to a WFO can compare the two pies.   Craig?  Larry?  Anyone else?

Now Scott isn't around to defend himself, but I suspect that I was right all along.  The baking dynamics of the 2 ovens are two different to achieve a nearly identical pie.  This is why it is nearly impossible for even Craig to duplicate his own pie in the BS much less anyone else. 
Thanks to those who have participated.  It was indeed a fun challenge. 

Chau

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
The Blackstone Challenge
« Reply #267 on: June 20, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
My oven has a floor with bricks that are over an inch thick. It would seem that the mass alone would ensure a different bake than anything made on a spinning platter that is 1/5th the weight. Not saying you need that much mass. But it has to impact the bake.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2015, 10:04:49 PM »
David,

I used firebricks instead of the original stone in my Blackstone for a couple of Neapolitan bakes.  In my opinion a good Neapolitan pie can be made in the BS but not one exactly like Craig's WFO.

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #269 on: Today at 09:17:56 AM »
My oven has a floor with bricks that are over an inch thick. It would seem that the mass alone would ensure a different bake than anything made on a spinning platter that is 1/5th the weight. Not saying you need that much mass. But it has to impact the bake.

Yes it has an impact on the bake, of course.  But that impact probably isn't as big as some of the other factors.  The reason being is that part of the fire source hits the underside of the steel plate which recharges the stone directly.  If anything the bottom crust will bake closer to a WFO than the rest of the pizza.  It's the top crust and the overall baking that is drastically different. 

Chau

pizzapan