Author Topic: First blackstone cook  (Read 348 times)

Offline cookingdude555

First blackstone cook
« on: September 23, 2014, 01:50:16 AM »
This was my first Blackstone cook from the recent lowes sale on them.  I am in love, I mean I really love this thing.  I have a few kamado cookers (bge's and a bubba keg), and while I had a few good pies, I always felt it wasn't exactly right.  Tonight I made a pepperoni, and a buffalo chicken pizza.  Along with my wife and our 14 year old son we polished them off pretty quick.

This oven is going to be fun (hopefully the pics show up).

Offline halfprice

Re: First blackstone cook
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:06:09 AM »
You did a great job for you're first cook.  I agree with you the BS does a better job than my bge also.  I'll leave the bge for low and slow and the BS for pizza.

Jerry

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
Great first effort! I also recently moved from a BGE to a BS and I'm not looking back!

Offline cookingdude555

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »
Thanks Larry and Jerry.  I tried all kinds of tricks to get top heat on the bge, but no matter what I did, I could not escape that there was more heat coming from the bottom than the top.  I got the closest on my XL BGE because it has the old style dome that is flatter.  I basically had the pie right at the top of the egg with a tiered plate setter method from using two or three progressively smaller plate setters from my smaller eggs.

but this thing just holds it rock solid.  I started the oven, went inside to build the two pizzas, came out 10 minutes later and the oven was ready at 790 dome 690 floor.  I couldn't believe it because it was so easy.  I told my friend that helped me with the dough that I feel like I cheated.  I don't know much yet, and there is a lot to learn.  I want to try some other styles as well.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »
awesome job...  change the flour up the heat.. and reduce cook time and your off..  Really nice.. ;D

Chris

Offline cookingdude555

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:37:32 PM »
Thanks Chris. We used 00 flour, but there is some sugar in there. Using the final four dough balls tonight from the Saturday batch. They have been cold fermenting since then. I need to make some more dough tonight.

Offline moose13

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 08:49:21 PM »
Looks way better than my first try.
Nice job!

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 10:42:08 PM »
Nice job! You are already miles ahead of me from when I first started.

Clay

Offline cookingdude555

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 02:30:38 AM »
Thanks Moose and Clay.  Made another three from the same dough tonight.  Only took one pic.  Oven worked great.  I still have to work on stretching the dough, this one was a little thicker than I wanted.  I believe part of it was the dough did not rest out of the refrigerator long enough.  Still learning ..

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 08:17:11 AM »
Thanks Moose and Clay.  Made another three from the same dough tonight.  Only took one pic.  Oven worked great.  I still have to work on stretching the dough, this one was a little thicker than I wanted.  I believe part of it was the dough did not rest out of the refrigerator long enough.  Still learning ..

Yummm..look delicious... :drool:  A charflector will help with the cheese getting too cooked on top and cook up the edge quicker..

Awesome stuff..

Chris ;D

pizzapan