Author Topic: Pizza Kettle cook  (Read 1302 times)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Kettle cook
« on: June 16, 2013, 09:37:57 PM »
I didn't want to hijack Tatoosh's  thread.

I used my pizza kettle for the first time today. It was fun but I made some mistakes. I think I used to much wood. I used some mahogany chunks (iron wood) which burns hotter than other woods. I forgot I added evoo in this dough so that probably didn't help. First pie I actually burnt the top and the bottom was good, Second pie the top was good and bottom charred in one spot. Still tasted good.

First pie done in a  1:30 or so. Second was like 2 minutes. I put a piece of stainless on the top of the pizza kettle to lower the roof. Second pie I took it off since I burnt the top. Here is the results. I hope the next ones are better. I had trouble spinning the pies.

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
Re: Pizza Kettle cook
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:48:05 AM »
Too much heat! I've done that experiment... and have decided to scale back on the heat. I 'd suggest if I may that you keep the flame to the back rather than all around the kettle.  The stone will heat up in due course and the top will reach your bake temp, you just have to watch the contraption as they reach those conditions.

Here is a video of a 65 second bake that was OK but slightly more charred on one edge of the bottom than I would have liked.....otherwise tutti mangia! (also probably in 65 seconds) :-D

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:11:24 AM by synaesthesia »

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:46:04 AM »
Nice video, synaesthesia!  I see you were running a much hotter fire than I build.  And I am so pea green with envy of that metal peel.  That is what I need to turn and extract pizza!  I discovered if I turn my turning rakes over and use them upside down, they do a much better job and without tearing the pizza up nearly as much.  But watching your video, I'd go for the metal peel, hands down! 

jsperk, that lower pizza looks like a good start.  I did the same thing to the sides of a couple pizzas as your first pizza photo.  I think it is an experience thing, just need to have a good idea of how fast your pizza is cooking and keep it moving.  I don't have enough experience to really do anything but report my personal results.  I'd get the stone down off the bricks, so you have better access to the pizza. 

And below is the fire I used to do 3 pizzas, all of them cooking in the 3 minute range, none over 4 minutes.  I use 2 Weber chimneys of lump charcoal, all of it going nice and hot before I drop it in, then a few pieces of wood.  Following  synaesthesia's description of his wood, I used some of the thinner pieces this time.  Like chopping wood warms you twice, cooking pizza this way is fun twice, both in the making and the eating!   :P
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 06:39:33 AM »
I made a c like how the directions show. I think my grate had some grease left over on it and that's why the flame went all around. I used one chimney of charcoal and 5 wood chunks. I won't use as much wood next time.

I did take the feet out from under the stone because it was to high and I could not get the pizza in.

I will experiment some more.

I liked for my first try.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »
Nice video. I have to get me a metal peel and turn my pizza like you did.  I think I have a good plan for next time after seeing and reading the advice on here.

Thanks.

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »
jsperk

I started conservatively with the fire...at first I just used kindling sticks, it was enough to cook 2 pies at about 350 deg C, (662 deg F) at about 3 - 4 mins. One wood split works best for me, about 10" long, roughly a shape that is equivalent to a 2" X 2" sectional girth. That should get your surface hot enough to cook ( >350 deg C)  and the top heat should be relatively close but a bit higher. You can then spike it up a bit with a couple of pieces of kindlling just before you load a pizza to cook if you want to get higher heat.

I use the kettlepizza metal peel because I have it, and it has a short handle so it is easier to use. A trad WFO  peel  not easy to operate because the mouth of the insert is not actually tall enough.....and one has to  genuflect/ kneel /crouch anyway with the height of a kettle to see what's going on.....This one, has a 20cm (8") lollipop head and a shorter handle and might be small enough to wield for this contraption.

http://tinyurl.com/lq7m7dw

Stay safe whilst you play with fire!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:51:31 AM by synaesthesia »

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
FYI

Kettle Pizza and BakingSteel have teamed up to make a steel top.

http://www.kettlepizza.com/KettlePizza-Baking-Steel-for-22-5-Kettle-Grills-p/kpbs-22.htm

Decent price for the top.

pizzapan