Author Topic: Glazed pizza stone  (Read 1584 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Glazed pizza stone
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:51:02 AM »
Has anyone used glazed pizza stone?
Bert,

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Glazed pizza stone
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »
I've not seen a glazed pizza stone, but I have seen glazed floor tiles used in that application. I don't recommend it though as they are more prone to breaking/cracking and any little pieces of the glazed part that got ingested would be like eating ground glass.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:47:16 AM »
Thanks Tom,

They come in nice colors, but not cheap. I guess the main benefit of using these stones is non sticking which still not worth paying extra for . I am wondering if it offer any other benefits.
Bert,

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
Bert,

As I understand it, the Emile Henry pizza stone is glazed (http://www.emilehenryusa.com/Pizza-Stone-cat685.html). If that is what you have in mind, if you go here, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=search, and do a forum search using the terms Emile Henry, you will get the collective opinions of our members over a total of 41 posts.

Peter

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:56:38 AM »
Thanks Peter.
Bert,

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »
Bert I use a Primo pizza stone that came glazed on one side.  I applied a food safe glazed onto the otherside.   The reason I did this is because the stone is quite porous and I didn't want oils seeping into the stone which would be another benefit.  But yes, glazed stones or the process of glazing it yourself can be considered expensive.  IIRC, the added cost to glazing several stones was something like $25-$30 extra.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 10:24:35 AM »
Thanks Chau.

With your glazed stone, have you noticed if it gets hotter faster and has more uniform temperature all across the glazed surface. I wondering if the glaze coating act as heat  conductor to distribute heat evenly across the stone.
Bert,

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »
Bert that is a technical question that I simply don't have an answer to.  From my own personal observations I would say that the glazing doesn't aid in heating up a stone faster or more evenly.  If it does at all, it is neglible at the temps we are working with. 

I would think that stone composition is much more important in how fast and evenly a stone heats up. 

Chau

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 12:41:26 PM »
Thanks Chau.
Bert,

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
Bert, I just remembered about a post I read a few years back.  A member (I think it was Toby) was working with the broiler method and was having trouble with thin pizza stones cracking.  He found that by placing the stone onto a metal pizza cutting dish that the stone was heating up more evenly and his stones stop cracking.  I haven't tested this out but wanted to pass that along in case it would help. 

Chau

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
Thanks Chau
Bert,

Offline dsw@widenor.com

• Lifetime Member
  • Best Pizza Supplies
    • Best Pizza Supplies
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 08:12:51 AM »
We have used Emile Henry Pizza Stones and Emile Henry Baking Stones.  We like the fact that you can use these stones in your conventional oven and on your gas or charcoal grill (without using a flame diverter).  They have a pleasing design and come is a variety of rich colors.  You can learn more about Emile Henry Pizza Stones and Baking Stones at http://www.bestpizzasupplies.com/product/Emile-Henry-Pizza-Stone.  One added benefit with using the Emile Henry Pizza Stones is that they do not need to be preheated.  You can prepare your dough on the stone (or on a pizza peel) and simply place it in on the grill.  This give you time to have crispy crust while the topping cook and the cheese melts.  Otherwise, preheating a pizza stone on the grill, we have found, usually results in having overdone crust while the toppings are barely cooked.  Let me know if you have any questions. Passionate about Pizza! Thank you.
For the Love of Pizza