Author Topic: Alfa wood burning oven "4 Pizze"  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Alfa wood burning oven "4 Pizze"
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
Still sounds like an ad.

Offline chef-marty

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »
That sounds like an ad to me.  You can do anything that oven will do in a 40 dollar Weber BBQ grill, and do much better in a home oven with proper preparation.  If it does not hurt your pocketbook or your soul to blow $2400 dollars, then go for it, but it is not a state of the art solution to cooking a pizza.

Hi Tscarborough,

Ive never seen a home oven get to 800 degrees like when I popped that baby in the oven (only 20 minutes after I started the fire too.). It took just over 100 seconds to cook. You could NEVER cook like that at home or on a webber of any cost.

As far as sounding like an ad, I can see why you say that. I am purposely trying to convince some of you that these ovens are of good use. I knew that it would take a lot of convincing and I am expecting naysayers.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 06:28:44 PM »
For that much money I would at least expect a Happy Ending. 

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 07:57:58 PM »
I did see other SS ovens and in comparison, this thing is really built! It weighs in at 330 pounds and will do 4 pizza at a time. There is some mass. It was still warm hours after I made that pizza in the picture. It was worth the extra money to get something this substantial especially in lieu of a real brick oven. I really doubt that someone could build one like this one at home with the steel in their back yard. It is made from very thick stainless and does not come off as a toy in person. The floor is made from their famous refractory bricks. Alfa has been building ovens for along time and has a great reputation. They make a little one called the "Ciao" and that one is toy-like and is in 800 Euro price range. Obviously, the 4-pizza model has more to it.

Not all SS ovens are built the same.
You obviously have no respect for skilled craftsmen with statements like that.  Do you have any concept of what a trained, skilled sheetmetal worker makes in this day and age?  I can assure you there isn't a product around at retail that is made by one due to the labor costs.  Your overpriced oven was built by unskilled production workers with minimal on the job training, I will guarantee that.  I could build it in my backyard standing on my head.  As for materials, I have a pile of 16 gauge stainless enough to build 5 of them, and I would bet there isn't a piece of 16 gauge on there, probably 18 and 20. 

My issues with ovens like these have little to do with tradition, heck I stated the blackstone as an alternative, and every thing to do with their inflated pricing and complete lack of understanding of how a wood fired oven works.  Do you know why every masonry wood fired oven around has a dome thicker then the floor?  Because heat rises.  The top of the oven will always get more heat then the bottom.  The dome and it's extra mass serves as a heat "battery".  It stores the heat that helps keep the temperatures inside the oven stable and recharges the floor.  Your oven has no battery.  The floor has thermal mass, but once you place food on it and start removing heat from it you are left with only the fire to recharge the floor.  Temperature stability will be a major issue, as will extended cooking sessions like pizza parties.  Even then some may deal with the short comings and inflated price if there where no alternatives on the market or it could produce a 60 second neapolitan pizza.  As already mentioned the blackstone is on the market for $370 and can do a 60 second pizza pretty easily.  Your 100 second pizza looks good, we'd all eat it, but when trying to sell people on an oven 100 seconds won't impress anyone, especially not an oven that costs up to $4k. 

The issue here isn't with you, your oven or your pizza.  It is with trying to sell OTHER PEOPLE on this product.  It simply isn't a purchase an informed consumer should make.
-Jeff

Offline scott123

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 10:34:20 PM »
Ive never seen a home oven get to 800 degrees like when I popped that baby in the oven (only 20 minutes after I started the fire too.). It took just over 100 seconds to cook. You could NEVER cook like that at home or on a webber of any cost.

Both of these pizzas were baked in a $370 Blackstone oven for under 90 seconds (and a 20 minute pre-heat):
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:38:47 PM by scott123 »

Offline chef-marty

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 11:51:41 PM »
Both of these pizzas were baked in a $370 Blackstone oven for under 90 seconds (and a 20 minute pre-heat):

So then why are you guys so picky about your ovens? Why are you building and measuring and making drawings and posting critiques? With results like that, why buy anything else?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 08:47:59 AM »
It isn't the oven, it is the heat.

Offline chef-marty

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 09:51:52 AM »
It isn't the oven, it is the heat.

Sorry. That did not quite answer my question. Why go through the effort and expense of building an oven when you can get results (AKA The Heat) like that for under $400? Looks like the heat is there at a bargain price.

I can tell you my reasoning. First, all you can do is pizza in that tiny Blackstone oven and only one at a time. I enjoy the real wood experience. I need to be able to cook bread, some BBQ, Roasted Chickens at 600 degrees is so cool and other things.  I love the Italian look of my oven and it is the best compromise for me. Also, in comparison with having one built for me, it was not expensive. There are cheaper SS ovens but the size, mass and heavy duty construction is quite satisfying.  I just want others to know that the oven is not a joke. I know the prejudices here against it. And the prejudices seem to come from people who have little experience with them and assume that they are built like a toy.

Marty

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »
I like that oven even less than yours, but for the same reason:  No mass.  It is a technical solution to a simple problem.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »
It is very nice to be able to fire the oven and cook pizza in 15 or 20 minutes, though.

Offline Pepperoni

• burning em up here boss
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 09:41:25 PM »
I've had an alfa forno 5 for almost a year. Used it 21 times so far and have had some great pizzas and parties.  It's easy to clean heats up fast and has great Italian look. You do loose heat fairly fast and that is the only downside ,but that is remedied by adding wood. I don't know how to work with stainless or bricks, but I got $2500

pizzapan