Author Topic: Too much rise??  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
Too much rise??
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »
So I'm fairly new at pizza making and I started off using the blocks of yeast that my friend would get me from the local pizzeria. However I ran out and this time Around I used fleischmanns rapid rise yeast.

My formula is below

All trumps 100
Water 62
IDY .5
Salt 2
EVOO 2

I added the wet ingredients then the flour to my KA and mixed on level 2 for 8 min. I then balled and allowed dough to rest on countertop for 45 min before placing in the fridge.

So below is a pic of my balls initially

Maybe it's just me but the dough looks like it has risen a little much. I have never used this glass container and before I would just use a dinner plate, place one ball on and wrap with cling wrap so it may just be an optical illusion to me. I'm pretty sure and almost positive I weighed out the yeast perfectly. Anybody care to tell me if its just me or could I have possible made an error and added to much yeast.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Too much rise??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »
And after 5 hrs cold ferment

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 06:45:46 PM »
And a bottom shot.. Also I'm sorry the photos are rotated. I'm uploading from my iPhone.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 06:50:52 PM »
Camaro10,

Can you tell us how much yeast by weight you used? And also the water temperature you used and the room temperature, if you noted same?

Peter

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:04:37 PM »
Room temp was 75, water was room temp maybe a tad warmer and amount of yeast is 4.8 g

Single ball was 399g

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:41:52 PM »
Camaro10,

If I got all the numbers right, your dough formulation appears to look like this:

Flour (100%):
Water (62%):
IDY (0.669%):
Salt (2%):
Olive Oil (2%):
Total (166.669%):
Single Ball:
718.19 g  |  25.33 oz | 1.58 lbs
445.28 g  |  15.71 oz | 0.98 lbs
4.8 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.6 tsp | 0.53 tbsp
14.36 g | 0.51 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.57 tsp | 0.86 tbsp
14.36 g | 0.51 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.19 tsp | 1.06 tbsp
1197 g | 42.22 oz | 2.64 lbs | TF = N/A
399 g | 14.07 oz | 0.88 lbs
Note: Dough is for three 399-gram dough balls; no bowl residue compensation

The above would seem to suggest that you used more than 0.50% IDY although I perhaps should have asked you for the weights of the other ingredients to be sure that I created the correct formulation. However, if the above is close to correct, it is quite possible that you used too much yeast, and that that situation was exacerbated by letting the dough sit at room temperature for 45 minutes before refrigerating. That rest period would have accelerated the fermentation of the dough.

Peter

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
Peter.. Sorry I shoul of specified I made 4 balls but used one for something else right away. Attached is a pic of the exact formula and I apologize for the horrible pic.

I always thought that it was ok to let the dough rest before sticking it in the refrigerator. However I never really let it sit this long. I usually do 15 min.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 08:14:24 PM »
Camaro10,

No problem with the picture of the output of the dough calculating tool. I also noted the use of 1% sugar that you omitted in your original formulation.

A lot of people, including some professionals, let the dough balls rest before refrigerating. It is also a favorite technique of many of our members. However, Tom Lehmann, to whom you directed your questions, is not an advocate of that technique, as he discusses at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21660.msg218902.html#msg218902. You might also note my comments as I gave them at Reply 2 in response to Tom's post.

Peter

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
Thanks Peter yes I did omit the sugar. Maybe I will toss these and make a new batch.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »
Thanks Peter yes I did omit the sugar. Maybe I will toss these and make a new batch.
Camaro10,

I think I would use the dough balls. Dough balls with a fair amount of yeast and a lot of fermentation can usually be re-balled, sometimes more than once, and used. After re-balling, put the dough balls back into the refrigerator until you are ready to use them.

Situations like this make for a good learning experience, so you should take advantage of it. The more experiences you have, both good and bad, the better the pizza maker you will become.

Peter

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 07:55:34 AM »
Cam;
In addition to what Peter has said, I would also wrap the dough balls individually to enhance their cooling. My favorite way to wrap individual dough balls is to lightly oil each dough ball and drop it into a plastic bread bag, twist the open end into a pony tail and tuck it under the dough ball as you place it into the fridge. This will allow for some expansion of the dough ball without fear of blowing out the bag. To use the dough, just remove from the fridge and allow to temper AT room temperature for about an hour, then turn the dough out of the bag into a bowl of dusting flour and begin opening the dough up into a pizza skin. Also, what was your finished dough temperature? The finished dough temperature is probably the single most important aspect of dough management.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »
They don't look over-fermented to me, just too much dough in too-small of a container.

No need to toss those at all, in fact you may be happy with your results due to the extra fermentation if you re-ball as Peter suggests.
Josh

pizzapan