Author Topic: 1 Sunday in Chicago - where to eat?  (Read 6949 times)

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
Re: 1 Sunday in Chicago - where to eat?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 01:46:14 PM »
Foodblogger:
You got it right about Gino's - They ain't what they used to be.  My kids live in Chicago and we went to visit yesterday.  I had to go to Gino's (MY LONG TIME FAVORITE) after reading this post last week.  Pete-zza would keel over and die if he saw these two pies.  After his careful calculations about thickness, you have to understand something about this place.  Science don't live here.  This time the crust was thick as corn muffins and there was enough sauce for several pizzas.  The joint on Wells is so damn big (not to mention the idiots standing outside in the 10 degree weather) it's hard to comprehend how they manage to get these pies out in the first place.
Quality control sucks.  The pies aren't baked long enough to crisp up the edges.  The place seems to be a victim of its own success. It reminds me Fat Elvis just gong through the motions, handing out sweaty scarves.
Next trip, I'm seeking out the thin pizzas.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 02:08:33 PM »
 Hi Pizza Police,
 That is such a shame about Gino's, the place really use to make a great tasting pie. I think this is the problem with all these pizza joints that branch out, they seem to really lose quality and consistency. I think the key to getting a great pie is too figure out which location the owner's still hang out at. There is a good chance the pizza will be alot better quality.    Chiguy

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2006, 02:46:53 PM »
Pizzapolice,
Disturbing news to say the least.  It is sad that they are having so many problems now.  The last time I ate there was 2001.  My suggestion to people who want to eat at Gino's is to not try doing it at night or on the weekend.  I just don't have the patience anymore to stand in line for something for an hour and a half.  Then you wait for the waiter to come, then you wait an hour for the pizza etc.  When they were located on Superior street I used to know a bunch of the waiters, so they would just let me right in no matter how long the line was.  All of those people have since moved on so I am sure I would be standing on line like a chob.  The other trick I used to do if none of my friends was working was to just say I wanted to go to the bar.  I'd walk right in, order a beer and sooner or later they would ask me if I wanted a pizza.  I got to be fairly good friends with one of the bartenders who was a GIANT Samoan.  I really miss the experience on Superior street.  It was in a little brownstone looking building and somehow seemed a lot more authentic.  Oh well, its gone now.

From my experience with Gino's, their pizzas are pretty sub par when they are very busy.  Sounds like your experience confirms it.

It reminds me Fat Elvis just gong through the motions, handing out sweaty scarves.

A very poignant statement indeed.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 02:50:22 PM by foodblogger »

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2006, 05:50:26 PM »
Superior St. was the best.  Parking right across the street and the smell of pizza hits you right away.  Once inside, I always went to the lower level, it was so cozy.  Almost like you (and the rest of the city) were in on a big secret.
Well, at least I can make one like I remember at home.
Chiguy, Hook me up with some GOOD places.  It doesn't matter where.  One kid lives by sox park and the other is in Wrigleyville.  Go Cubs.

Offline djryan1194

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2006, 07:10:58 PM »
I'm on a visit now to the big city.  Toured Chicago today with my kids.  We had Lou Malnati's our first night here.  Pizza was horrible.  So so sad.  The crust was very bready and thick.  Very disappointing!

We went downtown today and ate at the original Uno's on Ohio.  It was amazing.  Its been a good 5 years or so since I ate there, but we had a really really good pizza.  The crust was way better than Lou's.  I've officially converted.

I also managed to buy one of their used, seasoned pans!  So I'm all set to start the experimentation process once I'm back home in Ohio!

Go Cubs!!  Next year is here!

Offline chiguy

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2006, 07:57:35 PM »
 Hey Pizza Police,
 I have more knowledge of the South side than the North side, so here are a few places on the Southwest side that serve a good thin crust. Connies at 2372s. Archer,Homerun Inn 6221 S. Archer or 4254 W. 31st, Palermos at 63rd & Hamlin this is a sweet sauce pizza that you will love or hate but it has a unique taste. Also for a different type of pizza Pompei Bakery 1531 W Tatlor st. serves a Pizzacotta which is a long rolled pizza almost like a Strombolli but better, they also serve a square pan pizza that is pretty good, and also have other menu items. Pompei Bakery is in Little Italy and has been in business since 1909. I once read where pizza was first introduced down here on Taylor st. in the 1890's. Apparently Italian's from Naples that came over would make pizza's and place them in a metal can that contain hot ashes from the oven on the bottom. They would walk Taylor Steet with the container of pizza's on their head selling them to customers. I understand that this was also the practice in Italy at some point. After reading this story I was amazed at how wood burning oven Pizza never caught on in Chicago, it must have had to do with that damn O'leary cow?? Sorry about you're pizza experience, better luck next time.        Chiguy

Offline Chippewafan

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
Pat's Pizza at 2679 N. Lincoln Ave. is the best Chicago thin crust in my opinion.

Offline BTB

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 12:39:24 PM »
Pat's Pizza at 2679 N. Lincoln Ave. is the best Chicago thin crust in my opinion.
Wow, talk about an ancient thread that is "resurrected."  However, I have to second the nomination of Pat's Pizza here in 2011 and say that Pat's has superb and excellent Pizza (thin crust only - don't order any other kind of pizza, but their pastas are excellent, too).  I could nominate dozens of other pizzerias, also,  . . . but for real "short" visits to Chicago (without driving all over the crazy metropolitan area) . . . and for those who would like to taste the best of 2 worlds of great Chicago pizza (both super thin and deep dish) . . . I have highly recommended (and got great feedback about) going to both Pat's Pizza for thin crust and then walking just a short couple of blocks down Lincoln Ave. to the great, great, great Lou Malnati's small cafe restaurant for one of the greatest Chicago Style deep dish pizzas on the planet.  A number of people followed my suggestion at Reply #5 in this thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8921.0.html) and have told me that was a "perfect idea."

PM me if you need thoughts and suggestions about "cabbing" it a short distance from the downtown area or driving and parking on Lincoln Ave. (which have a few peculiarities).  But this can be easily done and makes for a nice "pizza eating" trip (remember to order "small pizzas" at each place, tho . . . LOL).

--BTB         :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:44:11 AM by BTB »