Author Topic: 1 Sunday in Chicago - where to eat?  (Read 8126 times)

Offline chiguy

Re: 1 Sunday in Chicago - where to eat?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2006, 07:57:35 PM »
 Hey Pizza Police,
 I have more knowledge of the South side than the North side, so here are a few places on the Southwest side that serve a good thin crust. Connies at 2372s. Archer,Homerun Inn 6221 S. Archer or 4254 W. 31st, Palermos at 63rd & Hamlin this is a sweet sauce pizza that you will love or hate but it has a unique taste. Also for a different type of pizza Pompei Bakery 1531 W Tatlor st. serves a Pizzacotta which is a long rolled pizza almost like a Strombolli but better, they also serve a square pan pizza that is pretty good, and also have other menu items. Pompei Bakery is in Little Italy and has been in business since 1909. I once read where pizza was first introduced down here on Taylor st. in the 1890's. Apparently Italian's from Naples that came over would make pizza's and place them in a metal can that contain hot ashes from the oven on the bottom. They would walk Taylor Steet with the container of pizza's on their head selling them to customers. I understand that this was also the practice in Italy at some point. After reading this story I was amazed at how wood burning oven Pizza never caught on in Chicago, it must have had to do with that damn O'leary cow?? Sorry about you're pizza experience, better luck next time.        Chiguy

Offline Chippewafan

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
Pat's Pizza at 2679 N. Lincoln Ave. is the best Chicago thin crust in my opinion.

Offline BTB

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 12:39:24 PM »
Pat's Pizza at 2679 N. Lincoln Ave. is the best Chicago thin crust in my opinion.
Wow, talk about an ancient thread that is "resurrected."  However, I have to second the nomination of Pat's Pizza here in 2011 and say that Pat's has superb and excellent Pizza (thin crust only - don't order any other kind of pizza, but their pastas are excellent, too).  I could nominate dozens of other pizzerias, also,  . . . but for real "short" visits to Chicago (without driving all over the crazy metropolitan area) . . . and for those who would like to taste the best of 2 worlds of great Chicago pizza (both super thin and deep dish) . . . I have highly recommended (and got great feedback about) going to both Pat's Pizza for thin crust and then walking just a short couple of blocks down Lincoln Ave. to the great, great, great Lou Malnati's small cafe restaurant for one of the greatest Chicago Style deep dish pizzas on the planet.  A number of people followed my suggestion at Reply #5 in this thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8921.0.html) and have told me that was a "perfect idea."

PM me if you need thoughts and suggestions about "cabbing" it a short distance from the downtown area or driving and parking on Lincoln Ave. (which have a few peculiarities).  But this can be easily done and makes for a nice "pizza eating" trip (remember to order "small pizzas" at each place, tho . . . LOL).

--BTB         :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:44:11 AM by BTB »

pizzapan