Author Topic: Volturno - Worcester, MA  (Read 3491 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Volturno - Worcester, MA
« on: June 18, 2013, 06:59:55 AM »
Overall this is a great place. Apps were very good, Calamari over chickpea puree and sardines on bruschetta stood out. I had the DOP margherita, which was excellent, and the Vongole, which was so-so. The bacon overpowered the chewy little chopped clams, although they had little-to-no flavor anyway. Dough was commercial yeast, higher hydration, and very good salt level. Cooked in about 40-60 seconds with lots of doming. Acunto oven floor was not balanced, as can be seen in one of the pies we were served.

Funny little aside. I order the DOP which had bufala mozz. They put a pizza in front of me and I immediately knew it was not bufala. I asked the waitress if this was the DOP and she assured me it was. I told her to please take it back and confirm. They brought me the right pizza a few minutes later.

http://www.volturnopizza.com/images/volturnomenu.pdf

John

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: Volturno - Worcester, MA
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »
John,

What a pair of beautiful ovens! That's a good looking pie, but not as good looking as yours.

I didn't see "Peas in Orange Plastic Container" on the menu. Is that an amuse-bouche the chef sent over before the pizzas arrived? :P

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:05:57 PM »
Is that an amuse-bouche the chef sent over before the pizzas arrived? :P

John K

Nope. Amuse-bambino while we eat pizza!

John

Offline dhorst

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 02:10:16 PM »
My sister works in Worcester.  I'll have to find out if she's ever been there.  Looks pretty good.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 02:53:05 PM »
Nope. Amuse-bambino while we eat pizza!

John

One day that bambino will be competing for slices!

John K

Offline dhorst

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »
My sister has been there and thinks they're pizza is quite good!  Looks like I know where I'm going the next time I visit!

Offline valhalla

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »
Worth a visit for sure. Sitting outside on their patio on these warm evenings and sipping one their very tasty "Smokey Fresno Rita" (muddled fresh Fresno chile margarita with a smoked salt rim) and enjoying very good pizzas.... maybe I'll head over tonight!

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 04:28:11 PM »
I stopped by this place last week. Very good, but I thought the prices were a little on the high side. Then again, I just got back from Naples a few weeks ago so my expectations where high :-)

Offline FocusHearth

• Neapolitan, or not
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
The prices in Napoli are ridiculously low for what your getting, typically 3E-4E per pie.

We were at Volturno's this past Sunday. We had two excellent Margaritta's. The dough was quite excellent and well fermented.  The cheese was good.  Overall, the whole pie is on par with some places in Napoli and NYC.  Certainly no other places around here executing their pies this well (been to "all" of them).

For us personally, I'd like to see a higher end wine list.  But the beer list looked nice.  We haven't tried anything else from the kitchen.  Prefer just to eat good Neapolitan pies.  The atmosphere is nice, but I bet it gets loud later on a Saturday night.  Really look forward to going back during the warmer months.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 09:16:25 PM »
Thanks John for posting this :D   

I was talking with a friend from NH earlier this week and we decided we needed to get together.  We settled on lunch 1/2 way for both of us which is Worcester and I remembered this post.

We had the bruschetta sampler - tomato, eggplant & asparagus.  Then we ordered two different pizzas - the pistachio pesto and the zucchini - both were excellent.   

Someone commented that the prices were high,  they were what I expected based on other places that I have been, I didn't think they were high.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 10:42:19 PM by deb415611 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »
no pics Deb ? Gotta Pay for those dualling Acuntos!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »
no pics Deb ?

look again, problem fixed  ;D

Online widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
A few of us went yesterday for lunch,  2 for1 pies at the bar on monday and tuesday.  Place was quiet but gorgeous inside.  Oven was not ripping but was hot enough.  Had the DOP marg and the Volturno.  Both were awesome.   Best Neapolitan I have had commercially. Highly recommended.  -Marc

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 04:22:22 PM »
What type of volume does that place do? They have two (beautiful and expensive) ovens and are quiet at lunch? I imagine they have two ovens because they thought they'd need two ovens.

Does it get crazy busy at dinner or other lunches? Are there many businesses or schools in the area?

Just wondering.

John K

Online widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »
John,  supposedly get jammed at night.  It is on a street in worcester called shrewsbury st.  Basicly all the high end restaurants are on this stretch of road.  I wish them well.  -Marc

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »
Marc-

Thanks. Looking fwd to a visit in 2014!

John K

pizzapan